Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2009, 01:55   #1

Hyd - Mudumalai - Ooty - Udipi - Gokarn - Hyd

Hi all,

This winter I'm planning one of my last big trip on my Zen aka meanie with the following route in mind.

Hyderabad - Mudumalai - Ooty - Udipi - Gokarn - Hyderabad

This trip is really special because in this meanie completes 1 lakh kms and would be retired as the main car following summer. So keeping the old age in mind I would request you all to help me out in choosing the best route esp in terms of road conditions.

I checked google, yahoo, bing maps and stuff and came up with conflicting results so i was hoping to rely more on the experience of real pro members who know these routes by heart.

promise to post my exciting travelouge once i'm back

thanking all in advance for all help on this.

sumitj
Old 9th December 2009, 02:33   #2

Wanted to give some more details for perspective so that i benefit more

Hyd -> Mudumalai. is the route via bangalore - mysore the best or should i take the diversion on NH 7 to go via tumkur.

also the best route from Ooty to udipi. there seem to be several routes but your recommendations would be great.
Old 10th December 2009, 12:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitj View Post
Wanted to give some more details for perspective so that i benefit more

Hyd -> Mudumalai. is the route via bangalore - mysore the best or should i take the diversion on NH 7 to go via tumkur.

also the best route from Ooty to udipi. there seem to be several routes but your recommendations would be great.
HYD-Mudumalai via BLR is the easiest and the best.You could either do a stopover at Mysore or on the ring road at BLR on the HYD side of NH7.

Ooty to Udipi,there are several ways as you mentioned and not much of difference in distances as well.

1.If you want a taste of Kerala to be included in the trip,then I would suggest go via Kozhikode(Calicut) and from thereon take the NH17 till Udupi.To reach Calicut,take the Gudalur-Nilambur-Calicut route.Expect dense traffic after Calicut all the way till Udupi as Kerala is densely populated and private bus traffic would be high during day time.Expect heavy Sabarimala traffic on this route now.

2.The route via Gonikoppa has been traditionally and historically bad,so I guess would be best avoided,unless there are some new updates on this.

3.The other option is to go via Mysore-Hassan-Mangalore-Udupi.I think I would opt for this route given the conditions.

Most Viewed