Team-BHP - Dangs Gujarat- Any place to stay other than Saputara
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Dangs Gujarat- Any place to stay other than Saputara (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/71218-dangs-gujarat-any-place-stay-other-than-saputara.html)

Loose thoughts whirl about a weekend trip from Mumbai to the Dangs area of Gujarat (via Nashik).
Wanted to check if people know of any town/place to stay other than Saputara, which I am given to understand is usually overflowing on weekends with tipsy people from Ahmedabad and Vadodara (more power to them but I want different!)

Any pointers would be appreciated.

You can do Ahwa (some small places there).

but around mahal/bhainskatri etc you wouldnt get much to stay. PM mandeep (epicenter.rulez) who visits there like mumbaikars visit juhu chowpatti :p

Back from 700 kms over 2 days :)

Mandeep's help was invaluable , giving tips on which roads to take and which names to drop and then waking up early to buy me breakfast parathas at Satnam da Dhaba in Valsad...(first world famous in valsad, then world famous in India and now world famous in world because of this international forum!).

Mumbai - Valsad (Great road, 5.30 am start helped). Turned off before Valsad and reached Killad Campsite in Vansda National Park via Dharampur.

Took the innova offroad into the park for a couple of hours.

Evening photo trip to Gira Falls

Night in tent at campsite.

Next morning, amazing drive to Mahal (Purna Wildlife Sanctuary) via Bhainskatri, Kalibel (This is one of the best drives i have done).

Great roads, dense forests, bamboos leaning over the road) and came out via Saputara (Saputara was quite sad) to Nashik

Mumbai - Nashik is a mess at parts (just outside nashik and then shahapur).
Pulled over and had dinner (and traffic had barely moved)

Back home in Mumbai at 11pm

As my facebook status for today says:

Tent fees in Vansda National Park Rs 200, tip to caretaker Rs 100, wolf howls free, experience priceless...

The team-bhp network delivers again!

Tell us more - the tent camp you stayed in, the exact route, road conditions, what kind of facilities for trekking, etc, and any photos?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 1631825)
Tell us more - the tent camp you stayed in, the exact route, road conditions, what kind of facilities for trekking, etc, and any photos?

Kumar Saar..No excel sheet saar! :)

But thanks for prodding me for the details...

Place of stay:

Killad Camp Site. Vansda National Park. (3 km before Vaghai)

Contact Forest Ranger Mr. Joshi on 9426855593 for reservations in advance.
(From what i saw, he does not like people showing up last minute)
Reservations can be done on phone.

200 rs for tent with bedding(no kidding).
500 rs for a hut with two beds and tiled toilet.
No electricity. Solar lights and torch. I used my sleeping bag (it got cold at night)
No food but dhaba 3 km away in Waghai

One can drive in park. You need a big car (innova, scorpio) for ground clearance. 4 Wheeler entry fee 200 rs. Guide comes along. Tip him what you like. My guy took me walking into the forest for a hour plus.

There is also a giant mango orchard belonging to the old king.

Route:

Mumbai - Valsad - Dharampur (turnoff is around 2km before Valsad, after Atul under the flyover) - Vansda, Waghai-Bhainskatri-Dharampada-Kalibel-
Mahal- Ahwa-Saputara-Nashik- Mumbai

Road conditions are excellent. Mostly single laned after Waghai till Mahal (two cars can pass) roads thru forests. (The road to Bhainskatri is old road to Ahwa, near ST bus stand) and is quite desolate. (Most signboards are in Gujarati)

Forest checkposts everywhere but they remain open for private cars

2 photos from the road:

Empty Road

Dangs Gujarat- Any place to stay other than Saputara-img_5205.jpg

Crowded Road

Dangs Gujarat- Any place to stay other than Saputara-img_5165.jpg

Will post a travelog once I finish my lonar one and clean up these!

More pics mangta hai. I have REALLY lovely memories of my ride down into Mahal via Bhainskathri!! :)