Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2009, 16:05   #1
BHPian

Mettur to Kollegal via MMHills

we are planning a trip to BR hills and would like to see the forests of Cauvery Wildlife sanctuary near MM hills enroute.

Does anyone have any info on the road conditions between Mettur to Kollegal via MM hills? We have a Hyundai Getz and wondering if this route would be a strict no-no?
Old 9th December 2009, 16:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Does that road really exist?
Old 9th December 2009, 17:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

The road does exist but am not sure if the surface on this road exists. I travelled on this road in February this year (I know, it is very long back) and the road inside Tamil Nadu was very good. I took the Kollegal-MM Hills-Palar-Mettur route. You can expect roads inside Karnataka to be very bad.
Old 10th December 2009, 02:49   #4
BHPian

Do it only during daytime , roads on the hills are almost non existant , though it would be slow . Evenings its infested with elephants and they do not budge
Old 10th December 2009, 10:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
Do it only during daytime , roads on the hills are almost non existant , though it would be slow . Evenings its infested with elephants and they do not budge
The last time I took this road, I ran into elephants and luckily they were by the roadside and I did not have a problem.
Old 10th December 2009, 10:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

addyhemmige, what are the coordinates for this route? Where do you turn off at Mettur? Are there signages to point to this road? How long did teh drive from Mettur to MM Hills take?
Old 10th December 2009, 12:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Actually, I'm not sure where exactly I had to turn in Mettur. I travelled from Kollegal side to MM hills and continued downhill on to Palar (Border checkpost). From Palar it was a straight road to Mettur.

In Mettur, I remember, we crossed the Stanley Reservoir. I think we went over it. After that, I remember seeing a signboard indicating right turn to Bhavani & Sathyamangalam. Then I continued to Mecheri & joined the NH at Thoppur.

So, when you reach the fork, I guess you should go straight towards Stanley Reservoir instead of taking a left towards Bhavani.

I traveled on that road at night, hence the sketchy details.
Old 10th December 2009, 15:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Interesting. Even I'm very interested in knowing this route. @Addy, what vehicle did you drive?

@hvkumar, If you are coming through Mettur town, right after you get down the ghat section and the small bridge, you should see a right towards Kolathur. This should be the road that leads on to MM hills and Hanur.

If you are coming through the byepass, once you byepass ends and you take a left towards Bhavani, you would see a small road on the right a km or so away with Kolathur mentioned. This will join up the road which starts from mettur town.

I'm seriously considering borrowing an SUV and doing these stretches

1. Kollegal - Hanur - Mettur
2. Kollegal - Chamrajnagar
3. Kollegal - Hanur - Andhiyur
Old 10th December 2009, 16:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

I was driving my Swift Diesel. Road conditions were somewhat manageable back then.

I traveled on the Kollegal - Chamarajanagar section a couple of weeks back. I was en route to Coimbatore via the Sathy ghat. The road is being widened and relaid. In some places there is no road at all.
Old 10th December 2009, 19:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I was driving my Swift Diesel. Road conditions were somewhat manageable back then.

I traveled on the Kollegal - Chamarajanagar section a couple of weeks back. I was en route to Coimbatore via the Sathy ghat. The road is being widened and relaid. In some places there is no road at all.
Thanks.

How long did it take from Bangalore to Cbe via this route? Which section doesn't have roads? Can you please elaborate?
Old 11th December 2009, 10:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

We started at 11.30 pm and reached Coimbatore at around 5.30-6.00 am. This taking many breaks. We were actually going to Parambikulam and passed Coimbatore on the way.

The route we took:
Bangalore-Maddur-Malavalli-Kollegal-Yelandur-Chamarajanagar-Hassanur-Sathyamangalam-Coimbatore-Pollachi-Parambikulam

Bangalore-Maddur: No need to elaborate

Maddur-Malavalli: Decent but bumpy road

Malavalli-Kollegal: Good roads (newly laid) until a few kms before Kollegal.

Kollegal-Chamarajanagar: For the first few kms after Kollegal, the road is potholed. After that, the road is being relaid all the way upto Chamarajanagar. Certain sections have one lane done.

Chamarajanagar-Coimbatore: From Chamarajanagar upto the start of the Dimbam ghats, the road is being relaid. When you start driving up the ghats the good roads start and continue all the way to Coimbatore. Only issue here is the truck traffic at the border crossing. Especially after Sathyamangalam, the road is very well marked with reflectors which were a great help for night driving.
Old 11th December 2009, 12:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hey thanks for the great update.

Yeah, the road laying at Kollegal was due to the recent temple festival that happened in that area.

I know the Sathy - Coimbatore route having done it umpteen times.

Any reason why you did Kollegal - Mettur - Thoppur route rather than doing Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Thoppur? Like to do "off the beaten track" stuff?

How were the ghat roads from Hunsur to MM Hills and beyond? I'm sorry to ask so many questions. Just trying to extract as much info on these routes
Old 18th December 2009, 09:29   #13
BHPian

Addy, thanks your inputs.. we ended up not taking the MM hills section. We took
Chennai-Bangalore-Maddur-Malavalli-Kollegal-BRHills-KGudi (avoiding Yellandur and Nagavalli).

Sections of the Maddur-Malavalli are really bad. Our choice of taking the shortest route from Kollegal turned out to be a disaster, as the village roads were horrible, but the scenery was gorgeous!

On our way back we did the K.Gudi-Chamarajanagar-Sathy-Andiyur-Mettur-Thoppur-D'puri-K'giri-CHennai . Total 550kms done in 10 hours.
10kms out of Chamarajanagar to Sathy was bad, after that it is a delightful road to drive at sunrise.

The actual route from Mettur to Kollegal that i researched goes Mettur-Palar-MMHills-Gowdahalli-Hanur-Kollegal.

@CSenthil, Next time even I'm planning to borrow a SUV and do this route. The wildlife and birdlife of the Cauvery forests are quite unique.
Old 18th December 2009, 11:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Been to Doddinduvadi village of Kollegal sometime back. Onward was through MM Hills I guess as I took the last right at Mettur. Roads were reasonably good with very sparse traffic. You can also find some reasonably big temple to your right on the way in hills.

Return I wanted to do via Sathyamangalam & it turned out to be a big mistake (initially) as literally there were no roads till I reached TamilNadu border. Some 20-25 kms took me 1-1.15 hrs. Later felt that's worth taking that road to travel through Sathyamangalam forests for the first time in my life
Old 27th December 2009, 19:23   #15
BHPian

Mettur-Ammapettai-Andhiyur-Bargur(Hills)-Kollegal

6:00 PM till 6:00 AM vehicles are not allowed in Bargur as it is thick reserve forest. Single lane road is good otherwise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks