Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2009, 17:32   #1
BHPian

2-3 day trip around Kannur

I will be in Kannur over the weekend of Dec 20th and want to make a 2-3 day trip to any places worth visiting within a 150-200kms radius from Kannur. Could you please suggest any good places?

Mod's Note: Please take care to post only in the relevant sections. Now is also the right time to get yourself acquainted with the various sections and the subsections of the board before you make your next post.

Thread moved.
Old 10th December 2009, 20:16   #2
BHPian

Go through some of the below travelogues.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ry-kannur.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bangalore.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ekal-trip.html

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 10th December 2009, 20:54   #3
BHPian

RajeshK, thanks for those links. After going through those links and several other travelogues, I have come down to two options for a 3 day trip:

1) Kannur - Nagarhole National Park (also Iruppu Falls & Kuruva Islands if possible) - Madikeri - Kannur (340kms.)
Map: from:kannur to:nagarhole national park to:coorg to:kannur - Google Maps

2) Kannur - Nagarhole National Park & Iruppu Falls - Bandipur National Park - Mudumalai National Park - Kannur (510kms)

Map: from:Kannur, Kerala, India to:nagarhole national park to:bandipur national park to:Mudumalai National Park, Gudalur, Nilgiris, Tamil Nadu, India to:Kannur, Kerala, India - Google Maps

This is my first time planning a trip in Kerala, and would be grateful if experienced Kerala travelers could give their insights on:

1) which of the above 2 options would be better keeping in mind the weather and probability of seeing wildlife in the NPs

2) Road conditions along the routes mentioned (see links to google maps), esp. any routes to avoid specifically in the after math of rains
I understand that the stretch from Kutta to Mananthavady is very bad. Info on other such bad stretches would be helpful.

Thank you very much in advance!
Old 11th December 2009, 11:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you are driving from Kannur towards Kasaragode direction - around 20/22 kms after kannur along the highway (NH17), you will see a place called Dharmasala and there will be a right turn (way to parassinikadavu). Take the right turn, drive just about 3 kms you will find a Snake park and thereafter water theme park called 'vismaya'. First you can go to the snake park as the park fully operational only after 12noon. A good time pass for few hours, especially you have children with you?
Old 13th December 2009, 08:13   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbugger View Post
RajeshK, thanks for those links. After going through those links and several other travelogues, I have come down to two options for a 3 day trip:

1) Kannur - Nagarhole National Park (also Iruppu Falls & Kuruva Islands if possible) - Madikeri - Kannur (340kms.)
Map: from:kannur to:nagarhole national park to:coorg to:kannur - Google Maps

2) Kannur - Nagarhole National Park & Iruppu Falls - Bandipur National Park - Mudumalai National Park - Kannur (510kms)

Map: from:Kannur, Kerala, India to:nagarhole national park to:bandipur national park to:Mudumalai National Park, Gudalur, Nilgiris, Tamil Nadu, India to:Kannur, Kerala, India - Google Maps

This is my first time planning a trip in Kerala, and would be grateful if experienced Kerala travelers could give their insights on:

1) which of the above 2 options would be better keeping in mind the weather and probability of seeing wildlife in the NPs

2) Road conditions along the routes mentioned (see links to google maps), esp. any routes to avoid specifically in the after math of rains
I understand that the stretch from Kutta to Mananthavady is very bad. Info on other such bad stretches would be helpful.

Thank you very much in advance!
If you are worried about the road condition, then better do not cross Kerala Border...!!

Seems you like to visit the hilly areas. Then options are Thirunelli Temple, Nagarhole (if you want to visit wildlife, but should go for some jungle safari, other wise it will be only deers..!!), Kuruva Island, Edakkal Caves, Pookot Lake (Kalpetta) and back to Kannur via Thamarassey - Vadagara.

In Kannur and around, you can visit, Muzhupilangad Drive in Beach, St.Angelos fort (The first fort in India by Portuguese), Parassinikkadavu temple, Boat ride in the river, snake park, Vismaya (As mentioned by Nairkk), Cherukunnu Temple, Madayikkavu, Bekal fort (around 80km towards Kasargod), etc..

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 13th December 2009, 20:59   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
If you are worried about the road condition, then better do not cross Kerala Border...!!

Seems you like to visit the hilly areas. Then options are Thirunelli Temple, Nagarhole (if you want to visit wildlife, but should go for some jungle safari, other wise it will be only deers..!!), Kuruva Island, Edakkal Caves, Pookot Lake (Kalpetta) and back to Kannur via Thamarassey - Vadagara.

In Kannur and around, you can visit, Muzhupilangad Drive in Beach, St.Angelos fort (The first fort in India by Portuguese), Parassinikkadavu temple, Boat ride in the river, snake park, Vismaya (As mentioned by Nairkk), Cherukunnu Temple, Madayikkavu, Bekal fort (around 80km towards Kasargod), etc..

Thanks
Rajesh
Thanks, Rajesh. Your first option seems more appealing to me and I have already done some research on accommodation at Nagarhole where I would like to spend most of my time (if I am not going to Bandipur).

However, we wont have our own car and will have to hire one with a driver. Only my mother and I would be travelling. In this context, is it safe to do a 2-3 day roadtrip in Kerala?
Old 14th December 2009, 08:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbugger View Post
Your first option seems more appealing to me and I have already done some research on accommodation at Nagarhole where I would like to spend most of my time (if I am not going to Bandipur).

However, we wont have our own car and will have to hire one with a driver. Only my mother and I would be travelling. In this context, is it safe to do a 2-3 day roadtrip in Kerala?
If you don't want to hire a cab from Kannur, get a bus to Mananthawadi / Thirunelli from Kannur Bus stand. There are enough private and govt.buses plying in this route. It may take around 3-3.5hrs (may be more some times) to reach Manathawadi from Kannur in bus. From there go to Kutta for reaching Nagarhole, Thirunelli comes in between. Or else, if you take a direct Kutta / Virajpet bus, you can get down in Kutta and from there, Nagarhole is around 6-10km. For accomodation try in JLR.

PM me if you need more information

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 25th October 2010, 00:46   #8
BHPian

Hi

@Shutterbugger: Hi, Did you finally do this trip? If yes, which route did you finally take and how was the experience? I'm planning to visit Kannur next weekend and currently breaking my head on the best possible route. According to me the best route is Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Iritty-Kannur. This looks simple, however someone told me there is one particular route which is a nightmare, not sure which one is that. travelling in my car with wife and kid, can't take chances.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks