Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2010, 12:05   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
This is a longer route. I have driven on both the routes, but I don't have the exact difference in distance. My guess is this route is longer by 50-70 KMs.
But traffic on this route is lesser, is a more scenic route. Once you are in Nilambur, take diversion towards Manjeri and further to Calicut. Nilambur-Manjeri-Calicut stretch is good, but two lane (as usual, in Kerala).

Once past Gundlupet, you would find shops and facilities in Gudalur, and then near Nilambur. Similar to NH212, where once past Gundlupet, you would find facilities near Sultan Bathery, and then near Kalpetta.
Did a distance calculator and got the route you described a total of 350 Kms(Blr-Mys-140km/Mys-Nil-135km/Nil-Cal-75km).
I guess the Bathery/kalpetta route totals to 340Kms.
So I take your route..Cheers and thanks
Old 30th April 2010, 13:51   #17
Team-BHP Support

There is a JLR pugmarks hotel at Bandipur. You dont have to wait till Gudalur. But yes no shops as such.
Old 30th April 2010, 14:14   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Another option is the Nilambur route. Gundlupet-Bandipur-Mudumalai-Gudalur-Nilambur-Manjeri-Ferok-Calicut. Traffic is less on this route compared to Bathery route (NH212). Roads are good, but ghat section is little more twisty and curvy.

NH212 is open for traffic between 6am and 9pm. Not sure whether the same timing restriction holds for the Nilambur route.
The best route to Calicut is via Kalpetta.
Old 30th April 2010, 15:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post
The best route to Calicut is via Kalpetta.
Of course, yes. That is the staple route. One can opt for Nilambur route, just for a different option.
Old 3rd August 2010, 15:50   #20
BHPian

Can someone update me on the road condition on Gundlpet calicut road, especially during these rains. I know of heavy rains in kerala over the last few weeks. Is night driving fine on the Ghat section? I am driving down tommorow.
Old 3rd August 2010, 17:42   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmind View Post
Can someone update me on the road condition on Gundlpet calicut road, especially during these rains. I know of heavy rains in kerala over the last few weeks. Is night driving fine on the Ghat section? I am driving down tommorow.
PM to Bigzero. He just went a week or two back.
Old 3rd August 2010, 19:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmind View Post
Road upto Kalpetta is still good - barring a few pot holes in the forest road and a few very small bad stretches on the Muthanga-Bathery-Kalpetta section. I travelled that way last Saturday, but since I went only as far as Vythiri, not sure of the conditions of the Ghat section.
Old 10th July 2012, 10:09   #23
BHPian

Re: Gundlupet to Calicut - Road Condition

Hi friends,

Am planning to travel to Calicut through Gundlupet. Can I know
1. If by NH212, what are the current movement timings /restrictions ?
2. Comparison between Sultan Battery route and Gudalur-Nilambur route.

Would appreciate your help on the above.

Regards,
Old 10th July 2012, 11:57   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Hi friends,

1. the forest road is closed between 9pm and 6am (both the bathery route as well as gudalur route)
2. If you are going to Calicut, then the Bathery route should be the preferred one. Road conditions are good except for small stretches (Not sure if the monsoon rains have damaged anything). If you are going to somewhere in Malappuram dt, then the Nilambur route may be better.

If you are interested in taking the Bangalore-Kanakpura-kollegala-Chamrajnagar-Gundlepet route, you can find details in the following post in the Bangalore- Calicut thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2769968

This thread has a lot of information on Bangalore-Calicut route.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 12:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Sulthan Batheri route would be faster since the highway between Kalpetta to Calicut is in very good shape as of now. The stretch between Kalpetta and Kerala-Karnataka border is somewhat patchy, but from Gundlupet to the border is in pretty good shape excepting a couple of largish potholes just after you enter the forest. Beware of frequent unmarked speedbreakers in the 5 to 10 kms just before the border (on the Karnataka side where the surface has been recently re-tarred).

Not sure about the road conditions on the Gudlupet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Calicut route since I haven't travelled that way for a while now. But I'd expect going to be slow from Vazhikkadavu to Calicut since that route passes through a large number of smallish towns and the traffic density is heavier.

As for allowed travel timings it's still the same as before - no traffic is allowed through the forest between 9PM and 6AM. (The same restriction applies even on the Gundlupet-Gudalur route if you decide to take that route)
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 12:59   #26
Team-BHP Support

I think its better to go via Bathery as Kala said. Take the regular NH212.
It should also be faster.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 21:37   #27
BHPian

Any idea about the Mysore-HD kote-Mananthvadi-Bathery road ? I believe it is a shorter route.
Old 12th July 2012, 12:05   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Chandan, unless your plan is to travel between 09PM - 06AM (When forest section in Gundlupet- Batthery is closed) it doesnt make much sense taking HD Kote road since surface and road wise it is worse than NH-212
Old 12th July 2012, 17:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Chandan, unless your plan is to travel between 09PM - 06AM (When forest section in Gundlupet- Batthery is closed) it doesnt make much sense taking HD Kote road since surface and road wise it is worse than NH-212
If my memory serves me right even the HD Kote route is closed from 6PM to 6AM (it passes through the Nagarahole WLS).

And in addition the broken portion of the road (the detour through several villages for about 15 kms) is difficult to drive through in broad daylight, so I wouldn't even think of attempting it at night.

If one needs to travel after 9PM, the shortest route that would be open is the one via Hunsur-Gonikoppa-Kutta-Mananthawadi, and even that road is pretty bad between Hunsur and Kutta.
Old 12th July 2012, 17:54   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
If one needs to travel after 9PM, the shortest route that would be open is the one via Hunsur-Gonikoppa-Kutta-Mananthawadi, and even that road is pretty bad between Hunsur and Kutta.
Shortest route, YES !
Faster and comfortable route would be the one via Hunsur-Gonikoppa-Virajpet(bye-pass)->Iritty->Thalassery->Calicut. Lots of night traffic in this route and the road condition is generally good (not sure about the recent effects of monsoon) except a few kms in the forest section between Hunsur and Gonikoppa.

Most Viewed