Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 12:44   #1

Gundlupet to Calicut - Road Condition

I'm planning to drive down to Calicut from Bangalore on Dec 19th. Can anyone who has traveled this route in the recent past please update me regarding the condition of the road between Gundlepet and Calicut?
Old 14th December 2009, 14:47   #2
BHPian

Just went to calicut and came back yesterday as well, The roads are great except for a stretch between mysore - nanjangod, after that it was all fine, I didn't find the ghat section roads a pain like a lot of other people mentioned, We did the trip in 7.30 hours. drive safe and make sure that you reach the checkpost before 9pm
Old 14th December 2009, 19:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

I assume you are talking about the Sultan Battery - Kalpetta - Vythiri route. The road is good. There is a night time ban on vehicular traffic 9 PM - 6 AM.

The first 20 kms from Gundulpet used to be so-so. But I believe it got tarred and should be ok. The Kerala side roads are excellent. Watch out for wildlife atleast till Sultan Battery and drive safe.
Old 14th December 2009, 22:34   #4
Team-BHP Support

Mysore-Nanjangud section is OK. I would say so-so. Gundlupet to Kalpetta is just fine. Amazing to drive. No issues whatsoever.
Old 16th December 2009, 11:04   #5

Thank you Knight Rider, csentil and ampere. I am driving to Cochin from Bangalore. Majority opinion on this forum seems to favor the Blr-Salem-Palghat route to Kerala as it is shorter and faster. But, I have heard from people who did the Wayand route that the scenery is breathtaking. Hence, the query regarding the road condition especially after the late monsoon season.

Will post a trip-sheet after I reach Cochin.
Old 28th April 2010, 22:43   #6
BHPian

Could someone update me on the present road conditions to calicut, especially to the ghat section/hair pin bends. This stretch is bad most times, is it still the same or has it improved.
Iam doing a week end trip to Calicut on my swifty.
Old 28th April 2010, 22:48   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmind View Post
Could someone update me on the present road conditions to calicut, especially to the ghat section/hair pin bends. This stretch is bad most times, is it still the same or has it improved.
Iam doing a week end trip to Calicut on my swifty.
I have driven till Vythri many times and its amazing till then!
Not gone beyond that.
Old 29th April 2010, 12:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

I traveled on the Gundlupet-Kalpetta-Lakkidi-Calicut route last November and it was very good. Hopefully the conditions will be the same this time around.
Old 29th April 2010, 13:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I traveled on the Gundlupet-Kalpetta-Lakkidi-Calicut route last November and it was very good. Hopefully the conditions will be the same this time around.
Nanjungud -- Lakkidi(via kalpetta) is quite good with a few potholes scattered here and there within Karnataka.

sportsmind just take it easy in the ghat section at the curves. Usually these are the places which is devoid of something called TAR. Otherwise its a breeze all the way till Palayam in Calicut.
Old 30th April 2010, 00:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

I drove till Sultan Bathery on this route last month. Road condition is very good except for a small stretch near the Muthanga checkpost. Due to the untidy parking of lorries there, one may have to navigate off the road into pot holes a bit.

Ghat section is nothing to worry.
Old 30th April 2010, 00:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Relief to know that this stretch is in good condition. I hope it doesn't change a whole lot once the monsoon's set in. Its a nightmare to do this drive if its raining cats and dogs!
Old 30th April 2010, 00:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Another option is the Nilambur route. Gundlupet-Bandipur-Mudumalai-Gudalur-Nilambur-Manjeri-Ferok-Calicut. Traffic is less on this route compared to Bathery route (NH212). Roads are good, but ghat section is little more twisty and curvy.

NH212 is open for traffic between 6am and 9pm. Not sure whether the same timing restriction holds for the Nilambur route.
Old 30th April 2010, 10:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Another option is the Nilambur route. Gundlupet-Bandipur-Mudumalai-Gudalur-Nilambur-Manjeri-Ferok-Calicut. Traffic is less on this route compared to Bathery route (NH212). Roads are good, but ghat section is little more twisty and curvy.

NH212 is open for traffic between 6am and 9pm. Not sure whether the same timing restriction holds for the Nilambur route.
Is this route shorter?. I was in Bandipur a few weeks back, and the roads were good. Is the roads better after Bandipur on the route you mentioned.
Would not mind trying it this time round.
Old 30th April 2010, 10:10   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is this route shorter?. I was in Bandipur a few weeks back, and the roads were good. Is the roads better after Bandipur on the route you mentioned.
It is definitely worth trying! Very good roads with few potholes between Gudalur and Nilambur on the Nadugani ghat section. But on the whole, very good !

Green route and very nice views.
Old 30th April 2010, 10:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a longer route. I have driven on both the routes, but I don't have the exact difference in distance. My guess is this route is longer by 50-70 KMs.
But traffic on this route is lesser, is a more scenic route. Once you are in Nilambur, take diversion towards Manjeri and further to Calicut. Nilambur-Manjeri-Calicut stretch is good, but two lane (as usual, in Kerala).

Once past Gundlupet, you would find shops and facilities in Gudalur, and then near Nilambur. Similar to NH212, where once past Gundlupet, you would find facilities near Sultan Bathery, and then near Kalpetta.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks