Old 7th March 2011, 12:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi to Diu. Help Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
The current plan is that I would like to visit the following places
  • Gir (2 Nights)
  • Diu (Atleast 2 or if needed 3 nights) Sea Food/ Sea Food and more Sea Food
  • Marine National Park, Jamnagar (SS-Traveller was kind enough to point me towards Pritoan Island. So either the Marine NP or Pirotan Island is a must visit)
  • Visit/ Drive through Veraval/ Somnath/ Porbandar (Gandhiji's Birth Place), Dwarka enroute to Jamnagar
  • Udaipur (Lakes/ Palaces/ Forts, Food, etc)
  • Lothal (What is this/ Where is this) Heard that this is an excavation site by the Archeological Survey of India) Is this a must visit place or can be avoided.
Plan was also to visit either Raan of Kutch and Koteshwar or Bikaner & Karni Mata Mandir but I simply do not want to pile up too many things in too short span of time.
Any other place that can be accommodated in the above circuit.
The total time for the above is about 7 days which can very easily be stretch by 1 or 2 days.

Need suggestion on Hotels/ Places to stay, route planning, any other info that might come in handy.

Hotels Shortlisted and/ or suggestions needed
Diu - Radhika
Gir - Gir PRide Resort (Gir Pride Resort, gir forest resort, gir forest hotel, gir hotel, lion safari, asiatic lion, sasngir forest resort, sasangir forest hotel, sasangir hotel, sasan, gir jungle resort, gir jungle hotel, gir jungle loge, gir jungle, gir national park, gir)
Udaipur - (Suggestions needed)
Jamnagar - (Suggestions)

Thanks a lot
Pirotan Island is closed this year.
Narara Island is open this year, but check out the time till it is open (should be closed soon).
For any info - and obtaining permits - contact Hotel President in Jamnagar. Mr Mushta there is the most experienced guide for Jamnagar WLS and he will help you work on schedule. In any case, Narara is a day's trip, as also Pirotan. Other islands are not normally in tourist's radar. YOu can google search for Hotel President and mail Mr MUshta.
Lothal is a Indus Valley site which is easily accessible off the Ahmedabad-Rajkot NH8A. Turn off and go 10 kms at Bagodara which is the first big town after leaving Amedabad. I found Lothal a very interesting place.
I think a visit to the Palitana Jain Temples would be an awesome experience. However, remember that you have to walk up 2-3 hours.
The circuit I would recommend is as follows:
Delhi-Jaipur-Udaipur-Ahmedabad-Bagodara-Lothal-Bhavnagar-Diu-Somanath-Veraval-Sasan Gir-Porbandar-Dwaraka-Jamnagar-Maliya-Samakiyali-Radhanpur-Palanpur-Abu Road-Pindwara-Udaipur-Jaipur-Delhi.

At Udaipur, I would suggest RTDC.
Radhika is a good resort in Diu next to their best beach Nagoa.
Old 7th March 2011, 12:27   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Lothal (What is this/ Where is this) Heard that this is an excavation site by the Archeological Survey of India) Is this a must visit place or can be avoided.
Lothal (Lothal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is on your way, may be a 40km detour. If you are deeply interested in history, or when your children are taught Harappan civilization in school (too early for that for you! ), it may be worth a visit. Here's the time when we went (October 2007 - yes, my daughter's school had taught her just a little bit about Harappan civilization then!). There's an interesting museum inside with some of the recovered artefacts on display, no photos allowed though. Outside, you need to catch someone to explain what was what - else it is utterly boring.
Delhi to Diu. Help Required-ccc-diu-via-lothal-4k100.jpg

Delhi to Diu. Help Required-ccc-diu-via-lothal-5k100.jpg

Delhi to Diu. Help Required-ccc-diu-via-lothal-7k100.jpg

Edit: I just had half-a-dozen pics from that place.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 7th March 2011 at 12:28.
Old 7th March 2011, 15:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot ampere, hvkumar & SS-Traveller

Based you all your inputs I have penned down the following travel plan. For the time being I think that I'll give Lothal a miss and maybe keep it for a later trip.

Trip planning is as follows
  • DAY 1
    • 18th March (Friday)
    • Delhi --> Jaipur --> Udaipur (680 kms)
    • Night Halt at RTDC, Udaipur
  • DAY 2
    • 19th March (Saturday)
    • Udaipur --> Ahmedabad --> Gir (600kms)
    • Night Halt at Gir Pride Resort, Gir
  • DAY 3
    • 20th March (Sunday)
    • At Gir Pride Resort, Gir
  • DAY 4
    • 21st March (Monday)
    • Gir --> Diu (80kms)
    • Radhika Palace, Nagoa Beach, Diu
  • DAY 5
    • 22nd March (Tuesday)
    • Diu
  • DAY 6
    • 22nd March (Wednesday)
    • Diu --> Veraval --> Somnath --> Dwarka --> Jamnagar (450 kms)
    • Night Halt ADVISE NEEDED ???
  • DAY 7
    • 23rd March (Thursday)
    • Jamnagar --> Mount Abu (475 kms)
  • DAY 8
    • 24th March (Friday)
    • Mount Abu --> Delhi (836 kms)
  • How does the above travel plan look.
  • Now the thing is that I think that I should not go to Diu on a weekend due to the weekend crowd that would be thronging the place, for obvious reasons.This is the reason that I've kept Gir first than then Diu
  • Should I add a day at Udaipur and/ or Mount Abu or its not required OR as I will be in Jamnagar for a day and want to visit the Marine NP, Do I need to give 2 days there (Jamnagar) or a couple of hours is more than enough.
  • As the above plan shows my arrival plan at Delhi is on a Friday I can easily give an additional day at Mount Abu or Udaipur. What do you guys suggest
  • Totally clueless about the places to stay at Jamnagar, Mount Abu
I know that these are lot of questions and I really appreciate the help.
Thanks
Old 7th March 2011, 15:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Travel plan looks doable.
In Jamnagar, stay in Hotel President.
Hotel President, Jamnagar
I have visited this hotel, looks decent, heard it is popular.

Lots of hotels in Abu Road. But I would suggest you stay in Palanpur just before, where I can recommend Hotel Hotel Cappal, 02742-250777/888/666
Hotel Cappal
(I have stayed in this hotel, good rooms, good food, reasonable tariff, and no detouring, very much on Palanpur bypass)

I would suggest you take a detour to see Ranakpur or Dilwara Temples in Mt Abu.
Old 7th March 2011, 21:27   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, let me tweak your travel plan to some extent.

• DAY 1
    • 18th March (Friday)
    • Delhi --> Jaipur --> Udaipur ---> Ahmedabad (900 kms)
    • Night Halt at N-number of hotels @ AMD.
You can easily drive 900 km to AMD in 14 hours. Pro like you can do it in <12.
  • DAY 2
    • 19th March (Saturday)
    • Ahmedabad --> Diu(350kms)
Diu will be empty that weekend - exam season is on. Discounts available!
  • DAY 3
    • 20th March (Sunday)
    • Why not the Sinh Sadan? Lovely place... But you need to pre-book on phone, no online booking available AFAIK.
  • DAY 4
    • 21st March (Monday)
    • Diu --> Gir (80kms)
    • Stop at Somnath in the morning
  • DAY 5
    • 22nd March (Tuesday)
    • Gir
  • DAY 6
    • 23rd March (Wednesday)
    • Gir--> Veraval --> Somnath --> Dwarka --> Jamnagar ---> CAN GO BACK TO RAJKOT, OR STAY BACK AT DWARKA)
    • I second HVK's advice - Hotel President IF you want to stay in Jamnagar - one of the few decent hotels in Jamnagar. But going to Pirotan on those days won't be possible since the high tide is approx. @1 AM on the days you are there.
  • DAY 7
    • 24th March (Thursday)
    • RTDC Hotel Shikhar
  • DAY 8
    • 25th March (Friday)
  • Now the thing is that I think that I should not go to Diu on a weekend due to the weekend crowd that would be thronging the place, for obvious reasons.This is the reason that I've kept Gir first than then Diu.
Spend the weekend in Diu, and use the next 2 days to take Safaris into Gir from Sinh Sadan.
  • Should I add a day at Udaipur and/ or Mount Abu or its not required OR as I will be in Jamnagar for a day and want to visit the Marine NP, Do I need to give 2 days there (Jamnagar) or a couple of hours is more than enough.
Nothing in Jamnagar except going to Pirotan Island or shopping for Bandhni sarees/dress material!
  • As the above plan shows my arrival plan at Delhi is on a Friday I can easily give an additional day at Mount Abu or Udaipur. What do you guys suggest
A full day at Mt. Abu OR Udaipur should be good, if you haven't visited either place - stay for 2 nights.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 7th March 2011 at 21:28.
Old 9th March 2011, 14:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your replies SS Traveller and HVK sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Well, let me tweak your travel plan to some extent.

• DAY 1
    • 18th March (Friday)
    • Delhi --> Jaipur --> Udaipur ---> Ahmedabad (900 kms)
    • Night Halt at N-number of hotels @ AMD.
You can easily drive 900 km to AMD in 14 hours. Pro like you can do it in <12.
I've not been to Udaipur hense thats the reason I wanted to stay at Udaipur for a 1 or 2. I am just contemplating whether to stay there for 2 days at one go or 1 day while going and the 2nd while coming back,
Quote:
  • DAY 2
    • 19th March (Saturday)
    • Ahmedabad --> Diu(350kms)
Diu will be empty that weekend - exam season is on. Discounts available!
  • DAY 3
    • 20th March (Sunday)
    • Why not the Sinh Sadan? Lovely place... But you need to pre-book on phone, no online booking available AFAIK.
The reason I have not chosen Sinh Sadan is that I have read some really good reviews of this place on another Travel Forum and want to give it a try. Additionally this place is just 2 kms from Sinh Sadan Guest House
Quote:
  • DAY 4
    • 21st March (Monday)
    • Diu --> Gir (80kms)
    • Stop at Somnath in the morning
  • DAY 5
    • 22nd March (Tuesday)
    • Gir
  • DAY 6
    • 23rd March (Wednesday)
    • Gir--> Veraval --> Somnath --> Dwarka --> Jamnagar ---> CAN GO BACK TO RAJKOT, OR STAY BACK AT DWARKA)
    • I second HVK's advice - Hotel President IF you want to stay in Jamnagar - one of the few decent hotels in Jamnagar. But going to Pirotan on those days won't be possible since the high tide is approx. @1 AM on the days you are there.
DAY 7
    • 24th March (Thursday)
    • RTDC Hotel Shikhar
  • DAY 8
    • 25th March (Friday)
  • Now the thing is that I think that I should not go to Diu on a weekend due to the weekend crowd that would be thronging the place, for obvious reasons.This is the reason that I've kept Gir first than then Diu.
Spend the weekend in Diu, and use the next 2 days to take Safaris into Gir from Sinh Sadan.
Nothing in Jamnagar except going to Pirotan Island or shopping for Bandhni sarees/dress material!
A full day at Mt. Abu OR Udaipur should be good, if you haven't visited either place - stay for 2 nights.
Now if the high tide time is not zsuitable then I might as well call them up before hand and inquire about the Marine National park timings. If they also do not suit the time of the day, then I'll most probably give Jamnagar a miss and keep it for later.
What I'll can then do is increase the no of days in Diu and Gir by 1 day each.

Also is it possible to do Dwarka as a day trip from Diu?

Diu --> Dwarka 315kms
If not then what about Porbandar?
Diu ---> Porbandar 214 kms

Also are there any other places of interest in and around that part of the country?
Old 9th March 2011, 16:28   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes. You can leave Diu early morning (say 4 am), cover Porbandar, Dwarka and Beyt-Dwarka, and come back to check in at Gir by late evening (say 8pm). Check about entering the Gir buffer area in the late evening though - traffic restrictions used to apply.
Old 10th March 2011, 10:15   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also are there any other places of interest in and around that part of the country?
You could consider a stopover at Junagadh (Junagadh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) for a day, and take a look at the palace. To test your physical fitness, you could consider climbing the 10,000 steps to the top of Girnar mountain for a view of the glorious surroundings as well as some terrific Jain temples. But then, THE Jain temple to make you amazed is the Dilwara temple near Mt. Abu.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 10th March 2011 at 10:25. Reason: Added link
Old 16th September 2013, 20:41   #24

I intend to do this trip in october begining. Delhi -ahm - dwarka -somnath - diu (maybe with gir ) -ahm (via anand ) -ajmer - delhi . Request you to share info on accomodation at somnath & diu. Are the roads good for night travel ?
Old 22nd September 2013, 12:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by birajthakur View Post
I intend to do this trip in october begining. Delhi -ahm - dwarka -somnath - diu (maybe with gir ) -ahm (via anand ) -ajmer - delhi . Request you to share info on accomodation at somnath & diu. Are the roads good for night travel ?
The roads in Gujarat should be safe and good for night travel. Though I suspect some of the state highways may be single lane ones.
Hoka Resort in Diu is quite reasonable and good...had stayed there a few years ago and had a good experience.
Old 3rd October 2013, 17:08   #26

Hi All,

How is the condition of NH8 from Delhi to Jaipur now?

I am worried because of these articles I found on internet: -

http://www.business-standard.com/art...0300324_1.html

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...tional-highway

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...ourism-highway

I was under impression that the road is super smooth and it will take 3.5 hours or so from Delhi to Jaipur but these articles seem to hint otherwise.
Old 3rd October 2013, 17:21   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by birajthakur View Post
Quite a few coincidences here. We share the same first name (a rare one), live in the same region (Noida), and interested in driving down to Diu as well.

I did a road trip to Diu in June. Details are here. It might answer some of your queries.

I will be driving to Ahmedabad again in the week of Oct 14 and will update the road condition that time.
Old 8th August 2019, 20:26   #28
BANNED

Delhi to Diu Road trip in October'19 - Help reqd

Dear All,

This is my first post here.

I am planning to make a road trip to Diu in October first week during the Dussehra break. I am planning on doing it in my i10 and I have 6 days in hand. I will be travelling with my wife and two kids (10yo and 6yo).

Following is the tentative itinerary I have in my mind:

Day 1: Start from Delhi early morning. Reach Udaipur by evening 700 km

Day 2: Udaipur to Rajkot. 500 km

Day 3 : Rajkot to diu via Somnath. 200 km to somnath. To diu 100 kms.

Day 4 : Diu

Day 5 : Diu to udaipur 700 km

Day 6 : Udaipur to Delhi 700 km

Folowing are the queries:

1. Is the above plan doable considering I am the single driver or is it too hectic? (I had done a similar trip to jaisalmer in January and it went fine. Max I drove in a day was around 700 kms)

2. Is the route I plan on taking is Ok or is there an alternative/ better route?

3. Are road conditions in Gujarat good like rajasthan or not?

4. Is it safe to travel with the family on these places?

Kindly revert with your suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Old 9th August 2019, 12:26   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Delhi to Diu Road trip in October'19 - Help reqd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider360 View Post
Day 5 : Diu to udaipur 700 km
2. Is the route I plan on taking is Ok or is there an alternative/ better route?
Not sure of the current condition, but the road from Diu to Una used to be in terrible condition for decades, till 2013 when I'd last been there.
Quote:
...a road trip to Diu in October first week during the Dussehra break...
Well, you'll probably miss out on entering the Gir forest, which officially reopens on 16th October every year.
Quote:
3. Are road conditions in Gujarat good like rajasthan or not?
Absolutely.
Quote:
4. Is it safe to travel with the family on these places?
Gujarat is one of the safest states in the country to travel with family esp. small kids.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 12:50   #30
BHPian

Re: Delhi to Diu Road trip in October'19 - Help reqd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider360 View Post
I will be travelling with my wife and two kids (10yo and 6yo).
Quote:
Is the above plan doable considering I am the single driver or is it too hectic?
For whom? I am not worried about you. You would probably do it and enjoy it too. But for the wife and kids? They may want to stop at places which catch their fancy and you may be wanting to push to reach the destination.....
Quote:
Is the route I plan on taking is Ok or is there an alternative/ better route?
Route is fine.
Quote:
Are road conditions in Gujarat good like rajasthan or not?
Better, in fact. And vehicles coming on the wrong side are not as frequent as in Rajasthan.
Quote:
Is it safe to travel with the family on these places?
Undoubtedly.

Seriously, you would get one day in Diu (three nights, but the first day would be a wash out and you would leave early on the 3rd day). Is that okay? For the wife and kids? Maybe they would want to relax and see the sights and just chill out. Consider it.

Secondly, i have been there and done that and yes: done the same what you hare proposing. I have realised now that one of the main advantages of travelling by road is to be able to see what ever catches your fancy, stop when you want, go at your own pace, detour where ever , bond with your fellow passengers and above all...everyone must have a good time.

All the best and welcome to Team-BHP.

Last edited by earthian : 9th August 2019 at 12:52.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed