Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2009, 20:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hassan - Madikeri good route ?

@ Mods, I searched for this route, but did not find clear inputs, hence i am posting this thread, if needed please merge with other threads.

Hi Friends (including mods)

I need some inputs w.r.t. road condition from Hassan to Madikeri

Next week i intend to travel on this route viz

Hassan - Gorur (22 KM) - Arkalgud (+8 KM) - Sanivarsante (+23 KM) - Somvarpet (23 KM) - Madikeri (38 KM) = Total 115 KMs.

Our plan is to leave Hassan by 3 PM and reach madikeri by 6 PM. I intend to visit Gorur Hemavathi Dam and back waters on the way. Please educate me if any other sites worth seeing on this route

Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited by StarVegabond : 18th December 2009 at 20:16.
Old 19th December 2009, 23:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

The route you have chosen is the best route. There also an alternate route: Hassan-Gorur-Arkalgud-Konanur-Kushalnagar-Madikeri.

The road conditions are as follows (heard from a friend who recently traveled there)

Hassan-Arkalgud - Decent road with potholes
Arkalgud-Mallipatna - Very bad
Mallipatna-Shanivarsante-Somwarpet-Madikeri - Decent road with potholes here and there.

You can reach Madikeri by 6.30-7.00 depending on the amount of time you spend at the Gorur dam & backwaters.

Which part of the backwaters are you trying to go to? There is one place 3-4 kms before Gorur. There is a water treatment/purification plant on the right side of the road. Adjacent to it, there is a small dirt road which leads to the backwaters. There is a small temple on a hill at the end of the road. This hill becomes an island when the water level is high. During my college days, we used to visit this place very frequently.

Other than the dam & backwaters, there are no sites worth visiting on this route.

Remember that you have to take a right turn just before Arkalgud town towards Mallipatna & Shanivarsante. At Mallipatna, take a left turn and after 1km, you will find a fork. Take the right side. After a few kms, you will reach a T junction. Turn left at the junction to Shanivarsante. From there, it is more or less a straight forward route to Somwarpet & onward to Madikeri.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 20th December 2009 at 00:13.
Old 20th December 2009, 08:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Addy,

thanks very much, that is very useful information.

I would be travelling in a hired Toyota Qualis, hence a bit of bad roads seem to be okay unlike my ANHC

Will follow your guidelines.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks