Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 00:50   #1
BHPian

Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road

Finally I've arranged lots of internet for my traveling, I am going delhi after 4.5 years GAP
I usually work on computer 14+ hours a day. and badly need a break now, or I'll pop out of town sickness, LOL.

I remember before starting business i used to go delhi and places
3-4 times a year.

Anyway finally I am ready for a holiday with Laptop, Blackberry, 3 GSM
1 Vodafone datacard, one BSNL 3G internet. if one fails i'll have others to stay in network.

Starting on 23rd and planning to return on or after new years.

and I am going to Kanpur, staying there for a day for some work and then going to DELHI.

Allahabad to Delhi is 636km and i'll be covering this on SANTRO.

I've got a few things changed, Air-filter, engine oil + filter, spark plugs, got the petrol filter cleaned, and I'll check if any other tweak is needed before it start.

I am also trying to make a LIST of things which could be Handy during this RUN, if you guys can link me to a decent list and If anyone can guide me about the new HIGHWAY which goes from kanpur to delhi and i think it touches Agra I'll be obliged.

I'll try to take few SNAPS and keep them posted on this Thread while i move.

I am expecting this to be atleast 120 ltr of petrol both ways.
Old 19th December 2009, 03:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

1 Vodafone datacard, one BSNL 3G internet. if one fails i'll have others to stay in network.

and thats a shame. you call it a holiday with so many phones.
Old 19th December 2009, 12:31   #3
BHPian

ghpk,

4.5 yrs is a long gap, man, you are going to relish the drive on the best stretch of highways in UP (Kanpur - Delhi). Only little troubles you have to deal with are, getting out of Allahabad traffic and traffic on Agra-Mathura part. Just to give you a feel of the beauty of Kanpur - Etawa - Agra route (new NH 2, which is part of GQ), I am attaching a couple of pics from my recent trip to Rajasthan.

Enjoy the ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road-dsc01961.jpg  

Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road-dsc01964.jpg  

Old 19th December 2009, 16:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post

and thats a shame. you call it a holiday with so many phones.

Chill man, they'll be needed if needed to do some urgent office work, else iam not going to turn them ON.
Old 19th December 2009, 16:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Kanpur - Delhi is a runway. You can drive very very peacefully and wrap it up within 6-7 hours at night (atleast till FBD). Day time, expect LOTS of traffic at Agra!

Don't bother too much. Our cars can handle it all. Make sure you have a foot pump and tubeless repair kit though!

its just one straight road so don't take tension! Just drive man.
Old 20th December 2009, 16:03   #6
BHPian

thanks phamilyaman, can you let me know which would be best option to
print a MAP of Delhi, I would need to Land at Lajpat Nagar, Any help much appreciated.
Old 20th December 2009, 16:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
thanks phamilyaman, can you let me know which would be best option to
print a MAP of Delhi, I would need to Land at Lajpat Nagar, Any help much appreciated.
Just reach Ashram Chowk and turn left. You'll be in Lajpat Nagar, just don't take the flyover.
Old 22nd December 2009, 02:32   #8
BHPian

Thanks,

I am starting in next 6-7 hours. will be staying kanpur on 22nd.

Will try to take Lots of SNAPS, lets hope my Digi CAM doesn't proves to be a crap.
Old 24th December 2009, 13:41   #9
BHPian

Reached Delhi.
Road from Allahabad to Kanpur ---> Agra--> delhi was superb.
But once i reached delhi the traffic multiplied many hundred times.

It was first time i drove and delhi and had to take lot of help from a friend who navigated me all through gurgaon, delhi traffic on phone till i reached Lajpat Nagar.

and wow, my parents live next to the CAR Accessory Town, yes its like a town full of car ICE and accessory shops.

Is Any ICE experts from the lajpat nagar available on Team BHP ?
Old 30th December 2009, 22:42   #10
BHPian

Just to Let everyone know, I am back from my Road Trip.

on way back i spent one day in Agra, and stayed at hotel metro,its cool, neat and comfortable hotel.

It took me exactly 6.5 hours to drive from Agra to Allahabad(485km), which includes a 30 mins break after kanpur.

it was little tiresome but the freedom of movement on your own vehicle is great along with the adventure.
Old 31st December 2009, 04:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
ghpk,

4.5 yrs is a long gap, man, you are going to relish the drive on the best stretch of highways in UP (Kanpur - Delhi). Only little troubles you have to deal with are, getting out of Allahabad traffic and traffic on Agra-Mathura part. Just to give you a feel of the beauty of Kanpur - Etawa - Agra route (new NH 2, which is part of GQ), I am attaching a couple of pics from my recent trip to Rajasthan.

Enjoy the ride.
The snaps in your post and the route that you mention new NH2, GQ. Is it the same as Kanpur - Kanpur Dehat - Bhognipur - Etawah - Auriya - Agra - Delhi?

If yes could you post more pics from this stretch. I did this run from Delhi in 1994 up to Lucknow and back in a Maruti 800dx. The road was like the central median in your snaps. Not that I am complaining, it was fun for a young 20 nothing let loose on the world.

@ghpk
How about some visual treats of your experience?

Last edited by khoj : 31st December 2009 at 04:21.
Old 3rd January 2010, 00:26   #12
BHPian

hi,
as i was driving alone with wife and kid, avoided taking breaks on unknown dhaba's so could not take lot of pics while driving.

Also i must admin that i got good "Phatkaar" (scolding) from my parents when they discovered I drove all the way on own.

On way to delhi, i spent night at Kanpur, started at 10:30 AM and reached Delhi by sunset, however it took me 2-3 hours to reach
lajpat nagar from gurgaon due to heavy JAMS in delhi.

I made diversion from Palval to Sohna and then reached gurgaon, should have taken NH8(confused might be NH4) and should have landed to AIMS, but my friend whom i asked to navigate me said, take the MG Road, and thats the only part of 1450 kms trip i HATED.

on way back i came to Agra, saw the Great Taj mahal, and then spent night at a nice comfortable hotel and next morning started at 10A.M. Reached Allahabad at 4:30 which includes a 30 minute break.

few random pics of the road trip.

road after crossing allahabad city
Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road-pic49.jpg

same NH2, roads have improved many folds.
Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road-pic50.jpg

Nice RCC roads to make your car pushing tin
Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road-pic51.jpg

Aha, Reached Kanpur
Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road-pic52.jpg

Left Kanpur, Next Morning
Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road-pic53.jpg

might be after tundal, approaching agra
Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road-pic54.jpg

Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road-pic55.jpg

Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road-pic56.jpg

Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road-pic57.jpg

Parking a mess in Delhi, I kept my car for 3 days at
same place as i knew if i left the spot, i'll be OUT of it.
Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road-pic58.jpg

Central Market, we loved every bit of it.
Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road-pic59.jpg

Flame from Mathura Refinery
Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road-pic60.jpg

Mathura Refinery
Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road-pic61.jpg

Reaching Agra
Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road-pic62.jpg

Wah Taj !
Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road-taj.jpg

Hotel Metro Room.
Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road-pic64.jpg

Started from Agra to Allahabad.
Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road-pic65.jpg

Nothing special
Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road-pic66.jpg

I love Santro, Its quite Stable at 130+
Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road-pic67.jpg

Kanpur Bypass
Name:  pic68.jpg
Views: 14856
Size:  47.1 KB

Kanpur Bypass, keep you away from lot of traffic
Allahabad-->Kanpur--->Delhi by road-pic69.jpg
Old 3rd January 2010, 01:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
hi,
as i was driving alone with wife and kid, avoided taking breaks on unknown dhaba's so could not take lot of pics while driving.

Also i must admin that i got good "Phatkaar" (scolding) from my parents when they discovered I drove all the way on own.

On way to delhi, i spent night at Kanpur, started at 10:30 AM and reached Delhi by sunset, however it took me 2-3 hours to reach
lajpat nagar from gurgaon due to heavy JAMS in delhi.

I made diversion from Palval to Sohna and then reached gurgaon, should have taken NH8(confused might be NH4) and should have landed to AIMS, but my friend whom i asked to navigate me said, take the MG Road, and thats the only part of 1450 kms trip i HATED.

on way back i came to Agra, saw the Great Taj mahal, and then spent night at a nice comfortable hotel and next morning started at 10A.M. Reached Allahabad at 4:30 which includes a 30 minute break.
@ghpk. Good to know that you are safely back home after the trip.
Great snaps @130KMPH maybe your parents should give you another phatkaar.

I do not take my Swift beyond 110 kmph ever. Guess I am self regulated. Those roads do look tempting though. I recently drove on NH2 in WB & Bihar/Jharkhand and it was equally amazing over there.

BTW are you sure your friend did not mean Mahatma Gandhi road = Ring Road when he said MG road. In which case you could have continued arrow straight from Palwal to Faridabad to Delhi to Ashram Chowk and taken left on MG road to Lajpat Nagar (3 km from Ashram Chowk), trust you would have taken the same in reverse to get to Agra on your return trip. Out of curiosity I would like to know what did you understand MG road to be to take such a big detour. My guess is Mehrauli Gurgaon road.

If it helps there are many in Delhi who do not know that MG road is the original name for Ring Road. If you were to ask 10 people maybe 1 would know.
Old 3rd January 2010, 01:36   #14
BHPian

khoj, yes i meant Mehrauli - gurgaon road, it was all packed with cars in evening traffic, and lot of diversions due to metro project.

I even touched 140kmph on some parts :-)

on return i took the faridabad-->palwal route which was congested.

I feel lucky that i reached back before the FOG days, you can see trains, roads, airline everything is affected now.

lastly, me and wife have caught cold now, will be visiting doctor in morning.
Old 3rd January 2010, 02:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hmm getting in and out of Delhi can be time consuming. Sorry to know about the two of you getting the sniffles. Take care and if on the way out of HR you bought any high quality phoren somras at possibly the lowest prices in the nation a little bit of that to warm you up strictly for medication purpose.
Having said that must warn you though do not DnD na never ever.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks