Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2009, 23:37   #1

Delhi - Shirdi - Delhi : Route Queries

Help needed guys..

I have an impending family trip to Shirdi. It was intended to be a Delhi-Shirdi-Delhi train travel starting Thursday (24th Dec) morning and coming back Saturday (26th Dec) night but something bite me in the head and caused to think about taking the road route. This would change the journey timelines as - leaving on Thursday morning (24th), reaching/staying at Ujjain/Indore in the night and finally reaching Shirdi on Friday (25th, Christmas) afternoon. Saturday (26th Dec) morning to Trimbakeshwar and then back home (Delhi) on Sunday evening after resting the Saturday night at Indore.

My reasons for the road trip:
1. I bought a Jazz 2 months back and have only able to earn 1500 kms on it as yet, another 2-3k kms would make it ideal for the next service recommendations..
2. If it happens, it would be my first such long journey via road.
3. First time on that route..

My family's reasons for the road trip:
1. The Gwalior-Ujjain-Indore route would give them the opportunity to visit a LOT of temples and monuments around these cities.
2. Visiting Trimbakeshwar (although thats possible on a train trip as well)
3. New car

My apprehensions:
1. If it happens, it would be my first such long journey via road. /worries although my dad would be driving along me..
2. Would it be really that long and tiring that I need to worry?
3. Would a hatchback be comfortable for such a long journey?

I know the answers can be a lot subjective however any suggestions/pointers/comments are sincerely welcome.

Thanks for your time!

Cheers!
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:10   #2
BHPian

Wikus the plan sounds exciting, but you are talking about doing 2500 to 3000 KMs in 4 days. Moreover you would be travelling with your parents who must be above 50. Somehow this sounds a bit difficult, spending close to 40 to 50 hours inside your car over a period of 4 days.

Honda will definetly perform, but you will be really tired at the end of the trip.
Old 23rd December 2009, 18:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Interesting plan, but quite a drive. Bear in mind that if you slip up on Day 1, you will be delayed reaching Indore and that will mean delayed arrival in Shirdi too, leaving you very little time for temple darshan (which will also be crowded). The return will also be equally fast. You will have no opportunity to visit any other temples (Ujjain, Omkareshwar, Nashik, etc). Maybe, you should have 1 extra day at your disposal.
Old 28th December 2009, 17:13   #4

Done it by car!

Thanks for your suggestion guys. I have just reached back home after completing the trip via car, though I got late (almost a day ) but the trip was really an experience.
Few brief facts:
Total run-2855 kms
Mileage-18.5 kmpl (the one which showed on the display)
Time taken to reach Shirdi - 2 days (that includes one night stay at Ujjain, morning darshan at Mahakaleshwar Temple) - via NH3. worst highway I've ever seen, won't suggest to anyone. :l
Time taken to come back - 24 hrs (continuous drive from Trimbakeshwar to Delhi) - via NH8-NE1-NH79-NH8.. one of the best drives I've ever had (esp. NH79)
And thanks a ton to team-bhp.. I browsed some threads for getting the way back on nh8, and learnt about the NE1 and waving off Ajmer through NH79 routes which really helped us getting back a lot earlier than what we expected post our arrival@Shirdi.

Thanks again..
Old 28th December 2009, 17:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Great drive! NH3 is quite a nightmare most months of the year, and that is why most of us avoid this route to go from South/West India to North India/Delhi. Where were teh worst stretches on NH3? Or was most of it bad?
Old 28th December 2009, 20:08   #6

^^ I would say 70% of the drive on NH3 was full of uneven ground ensuring that you can't drive at a speed a highway allows. :(
And crossing areas like Gwalior, Guna, Shivpuri were a challenge in themselves, it did not even look as if you are on a 'highway'.
Old 29th December 2009, 09:38   #7
BHPian

Hats off to you man and most importantly to your parents who sat through 24 hrs.

My dad would kill me if I even suggested something similar.
Devil on Wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2009, 10:59   #8

^^ Thanks buddy.. btw, my dad was more interested in the car option than me.. :P
Old 4th January 2010, 13:19   #9
BHPian

Great drive, great choice to take NH 79-NH 8 route and a great dad. Hats off to you all, very specially to your dad.
We too drove on NH 3 on this Chrismas, yes, it is bad as usual, will report details about that later in some other thread.
Old 15th September 2018, 06:47   #10

I am planning on a Delhi-Shirdi-Mount Abu-Udaipur-Delhi trip over 6days coming up next weekend.

Does any fellow TBHPian have any suggestions for the trip regarding road conditions, preferred routes, avoidable stretches, avoidable travel hours, and so on and so forth considering that any info on Delhi/Shirdi trip on TBHP is 8-9yrs old.
Old 22nd March 2023, 18:35   #11
BHPian

Delhi to Shirdi :Route Options

Seek inputs for a planned Delhi-Shirdi trip of self & wife during first week of April, details of which are as follows: -

(a) Vehicle : Creta

(b) Duration : Two days with an overnight halt at Indore

(c) Planned Route :
Day 1: Delhi - Mum Expressway NE4 - Kota Bye Pass - Ujjain Bye Pass - Dewas Bye Pass - Indore. Approx 820 Kms. Selected the Delhi - Mum Expway through Gurgaon since I am staying nearer to Gurgaon side.

Day 2: Indore - Dhule - Malegaon - Yeola - Kopergaon - Shirdi. Approx 430 Kms.

Seek inputs on the following: -

(a) Is Delhi to Indore (roughly 820 Kms) doable on a single day? Normally I prefer to start early, say 0500 - 0530hrs.

(b) How is the road condition for Kota - Ujjain - Dewas route?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks