Old 24th December 2009, 10:58   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Can any one guide the road route from Kannur to Mumbai
or Mangalore to Mumbai?
Here is a starter.
from: Kannur, Kerala to: Vashi, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, India - Google Maps

Do you have any specific preference of route?
Do you have a specific destination address? The above is till Vashi which is on the outskirts.

I have observed that Google Maps is pretty damn accurate.
You can create your maps and save them by logging in to your google account.

Alternatively, you could opt for good 2x2 divided highway pleasure on the NH4 after Goa. The goa-mumbai highway is a good road but not a divided road, I am given to understand. But on NH4, it will be a lil bit longer but quite safe to drive at higher speeds.

Last edited by longford : 24th December 2009 at 11:01.
Old 24th December 2009, 11:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks quick response !
I need not to go to mumbai city limit.
reaching vashi will be fine, thereafter I need to go to Dombivili and then a trip
to Shirdi and finally back home.
little longer route no problem, but prefer to drive on a good road.
Old 24th December 2009, 12:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks quick response !
I need not to go to mumbai city limit.
reaching vashi will be fine, thereafter I need to go to Dombivili and then a trip
to Shirdi and finally back home.
little longer route no problem, but prefer to drive on a good road.
if good road is what you are looking for then go via Blore.Kannur-Blr-NH4(4 laned all the way upto Mumbai)-Mumbai(Vashi).

The EW continues onto Vashi.

If you havent driven on the Pune-Mumbai expressway,then this route would let you have a taste of that as well.Mumbai?Pune Expressway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All the towns are bypassed so this would be a fast and good drive and good facilities as well.

A relaxed drive can be done as follows:

Day 1: Kannur-Bangalore
Day 2: Blore-Pune-Mumbai(you would bypass Pune city and connect straight to the MPEW),

The other option is via NH17,this would take a longer time as many ghat sections and bad sections reported on quite a few stretches.

Mumbai-Shirdi is a breeze till Nasik,do not take the Goti Bypass instead go through Nasik town-Sinnar-Shirdi.You would see boards saying you save 40kms etc at Goti,but do not take it as the roads are in bad shape.Instead go through Nasik and drive upto Shirdi.Mumbai-Shirdi at a leisurely pace can be done in 5hours.The NH2 is 4laned till Shirdi.
Old 24th December 2009, 12:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

@ranjitp1

Thanks yours
Yes, it seems Kannur-Bangalore-Pune-Bombay looks good
(Mumbai -Shirdi, I have driven so many times in the past hence this wouldnt be a problem. I was in mumbai for more than 20 years, ofcourse prior to 2000) ?
Old 24th December 2009, 13:22   #6
BHPian

Goti route is not that bad. Only the first two kilometers once take left from the highway. After that its very scenic pleasant drive no traffic at all (you will find lot of traffic via Nashik specially between Sinnar & Nasik) . Did Mumbai Shirdi last week and enjoyed road via Goti better than via Nasik. My two cents..
Old 24th December 2009, 13:32   #7
BHPian

One suggestion.

If your focus is Mumbai and Shirdi, then you may be better off to avoid Bangalore just to get on to NH4. Bangalore-mumbai is quite a long drive and can take upto 16-20 hrs depending on how fast you drive.

Suggest that you drive till Goa and then break at Belgaum. Belgaum-Mumbai is a comfy drive.

Alternatively you could try this as well. Gmaps says it should take you 18 odd hrs to go to Shirdi direct! from: shirdi to: kannur - Google Maps

Check with other TBHPians on this route viability and realistic time estimates. If it finds favour maybe Kannur-Goa-Belgaum-Pune-Sangamner-Shirdi can be explored.

Cheers
PS. Thats a nice black beauty you have there for riding :-)

Last edited by longford : 24th December 2009 at 13:34.
Old 24th December 2009, 13:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryashiv1 View Post
Goti route is not that bad. Only the first two kilometers once take left from the highway. After that its very scenic pleasant drive no traffic at all (you will find lot of traffic via Nashik specially between Sinnar & Nasik) . Did Mumbai Shirdi last week and enjoyed road via Goti better than via Nasik. My two cents..
Thats some good news.Mine was last month and the road was pretty bad and very bumpy,ofcourse very scenic,have to admit that.The irony was the MSRDC toll that is being collected after the Goti railway gate,it looks more like the toll is being collected to ensure that the road remains bad
Old 24th December 2009, 13:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Google map shows three options for you

NH 17 : 1124 KM, 18 hours drive w/o breaks
NH17 & NH4 : 1132 KM, 18 hours drive w/o breaks
NH17 and NH9 : 1243 KM, 19.5 hours drive w/o breaks

I would suggest you to take

Kannur - Mangalore - Udupi - Bhatkal - Kumta - Ankola - Hubli - Belgaum - Kolhapur - Karad - Satara - Pune - Vashi route.

This route would be some 1135 KM similar to second option above.

Road conditions arround Mangalore - Mulki are not good, similarly between Udupi - Bhatkal some stretches are not good, Between Kumta-Ankola some stretches are not good, NH63 Ankola to Hubli would be a ghat in between and full of trucks, but road condition is said to good.

I suggest you to travel from Kannur to Hubli on day 1 and hubli to Vashi on day 2.
Old 24th December 2009, 14:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post
One suggestion.

If your focus is Mumbai and Shirdi, then you may be better off to avoid Bangalore just to get on to NH4. Bangalore-mumbai is quite a long drive and can take upto 16-20 hrs depending on how fast you drive.

Suggest that you drive till Goa and then break at Belgaum. Belgaum-Mumbai is a comfy drive.

Alternatively you could try this as well. Gmaps says it should take you 18 odd hrs to go to Shirdi direct! from: shirdi to: kannur - Google Maps

Check with other TBHPians on this route viability and realistic time estimates. If it finds favour maybe Kannur-Goa-Belgaum-Pune-Sangamner-Shirdi can be explored.

Cheers
PS. Thats a nice black beauty you have there for riding :-)
+
Thanks your guidence !
But I do not want to drive straight to Shirdi, instead prefer to go first Vashi (I need to pick up my friend from Vashi)-may be one night stay there, and then proceed to Shirdi. Yes, I agree -because of the black beauty I am planning the road route instead of looking other alternatives
Old 24th December 2009, 14:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Google map shows three options for you

NH 17 : 1124 KM, 18 hours drive w/o breaks
NH17 & NH4 : 1132 KM, 18 hours drive w/o breaks
NH17 and NH9 : 1243 KM, 19.5 hours drive w/o breaks

I would suggest you to take

Kannur - Mangalore - Udupi - Bhatkal - Kumta - Ankola - Hubli - Belgaum - Kolhapur - Karad - Satara - Pune - Vashi route.

This route would be some 1135 KM similar to second option above.

Road conditions arround Mangalore - Mulki are not good, similarly between Udupi - Bhatkal some stretches are not good, Between Kumta-Ankola some stretches are not good, NH63 Ankola to Hubli would be a ghat in between and full of trucks, but road condition is said to good.

I suggest you to travel from Kannur to Hubli on day 1 and hubli to Vashi on day 2.
+

Do I need to touch GOA or is there any outer ring road from Hubli ?
Alternatively how about taking a break at GOA (or still better to stay in Hubli?) on the first day drive and proceed next day to Mumbai?
Old 24th December 2009, 15:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+

Alternatively how about taking a break at GOA (or still better to stay in Hubli?) on the first day drive and proceed next day to Mumbai?
In the first option (NH17) you would go through GOA
You need not enter Hubli at all, Hubli has a bypass towards Dharwad when you are coming on NH63.

Finding a good accomodation in Goa would be difficult during the Xmas season, FInding an accomodation is Hubli is easier.

If my objective is not to make merry at Goa, then it does not make sense to go there in my view.

More over NH17 is only 2 lane highway and very scenic throughout where as the NH4 from Dharward onwards is 4 lane throughtout Mumbai and one can easily drive from Dharwad to Vashi in 7.5 hours with casual drive of 80-90 KMPH speed.
Old 24th December 2009, 15:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+

Goa comes on NH17,while Hubli is on NH4.(Mangalore-Karwar-Panjim)If you are taking the NH17,then you could do an overnite at Goa(an early start should easily help you reach Goa by late evening).Plenty of stay options at Goa depending on your budget.Just a note here,the bridge over Kali river @ Karwar on NH17 would be closed for a month(official estimates)from Jan5th to Feb4th,2010.The diverted route is an extra 60kms drive to rejoin NH17.(Shirwad-Kadra-Sadashivgad)

From Goa,you could either choose to continue on NH17 till Panvel.The route is very scenic but with a fair amount of ghat sections to negotiate,drive time would increase as opposed to NH4.

The other option & the more popular option is to cross over to NH4 by taking the following route:Panjim-Sawantwadi(leave NH17 at S'wadi)-Amboli-Ajra-Gadhinglaj-Sankeshwar(join NH4)-Kolhapur-Satara-Pune-Mumbai.
Old 24th December 2009, 15:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

@starVegabond / ranjitp1

Thanks your suggestions.
anyway am planning to drive only after new year hangover hence no problem for
accommodation, I think?
Even if I had to drive few km more, I prefer to avoid congested/narrow roads !
So NH4 drive would be ideal and comfortable?
Old 24th December 2009, 15:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post

Did this route few months back. Hubli-Kumta was completely filled with lorries carrying iron ore, moving dead slow. NH 17 too was not in good shape. No issues between Hubli-Mumbai.

Most Viewed