Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2013, 16:41   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mohania-Patna-Ranchi-Jamshedpur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbksc View Post
Thanks Saket.. Your info is invaluable. I studied at Bokaro up to my 12 th and then engg from Mesra . But never got a chance to drive on roads in that area. Travel was mostly on trekkers., if you understand what I mean. I can conjure up images of that area but realise that things would have changed drastically.
You are welcome mkbksc. Yes, a lot has changed in the last few years and most noticeably, the traffic jams Should be a good and nostalgic drive for you, BTW, no Bokaro in the route. If you start early and don't get stuck in traffic anywhere, then Patna to Jamshedpur should be doable in a day. Patna to Ranchi should be not more than 7-8 hours. Even with a relaxed right foot, and some breaks, should be 9 hrs at the max. Be careful on the Ranchi to Jamshedpur road, its not that real wide. Some broken sections near Chandil (not sure if they are repaired recently), but all in all, you should be fine. Its a 2.5 hrs journey from Ranchi to Jamshedpur, ~ 130 kms. And as I said, not advisable at night.
Good luck.

Regards,
Saket
Old 28th May 2013, 17:47   #17
BHPian

Re: Delhi-Jamshedpur-Delhi Road Trip

On Mohania - Patna.. the road is not too good at places, your average speed may not go above 80. However, the route is safe. I did a Noida-Patna-Samastipur and back during Holi and crossed Mohania around 7pm reaching Patna at 11:15.

Koilwar bridge is in precarious condition and one way is followed, so plan your ride that you reach around 7 or later, otherwise would stuck in jam. Same is true about Arrah bypass. There is a railway crossing at Arrah on the by-pass and it causes long queues both ways. Account at least half an hour for the same. Or if you can find your way, there is a fly-over about 1.5kms before the crossing, going through the town via railway station, little bit crowded, but you'll avoid the by-pass and jam.

Further, from Bihta go via Maner (you take a left cut) and Danapur Cantt and not the route that your navigator would guide (straight). Though both roads reach Patna, but by taking Maner route, you can avoid some very bad roads with big potholes (lesson learnt though bad experience) and you can devour on some Maner ka Laddos too (by the way, their chaat is also good). Ask for Rajeev at Maner sweets for great hospitality.

Danapur cantt has a speed restriction for 20kmph, but the road is good and cantonment guards ensure that the road is never blocked.

Let me know if you require any further bit on this.

My advise - if you're not meeting / visiting anyone at Patna and just planning a stop-over, don't go. Stop somewhere in Varanasi / Mughal Sarai and stick to NH2 till Barhi. Take right for Hazaribagh and take Ranchi route from there.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 19:58   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Perfectly put down by non-stop driver. I have had the (mis) fortune of crossing koilwar bridge(on R. Sone) a lot of times by car(the bridge is also a railway bridge) and there are long queues on either sides of the bridge. The trick is not to go for the queue as its for truckers only. You need to drive upto the bridge which may include driving in the other lane. This is not unsafe as only one side traffic is allowed at a time. Being smaller vehicles, cars are allowed to ply from the narrower lane of the bridge.
Maner laddoos are famous and delicious. Ask for laddoo and udwantnagar's khurma!
Also, as non-stop driver told you, drive with total discipline in the cantt area(approx 2 kms), speed limit is 20kmph and no overtaking. They are strict about that.
Also, again as non-stop said, if you can avoid patna, nothing is better. Come straight to barhi, then take right for Ranchi. Saves from a lot of hassle.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2013, 14:39   #19
BHPian

Re: Mohania-Patna-Ranchi-Jamshedpur

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
You are welcome mkbksc. Yes, a lot has changed in the last few years and most noticeably, the traffic jams Should be a good and nostalgic drive for you, BTW, no Bokaro in the route. If you start early and don't get stuck in traffic anywhere, then Patna to Jamshedpur should be doable in a day. Patna to Ranchi should be not more than 7-8 hours. Even with a relaxed right foot, and some breaks, should be 9 hrs at the max. Be careful on the Ranchi to Jamshedpur road, its not that real wide. Some broken sections near Chandil (not sure if they are repaired recently), but all in all, you should be fine. Its a 2.5 hrs journey from Ranchi to Jamshedpur, ~ 130 kms. And as I said, not advisable at night.
Good luck.

Regards,
Saket
We would start from Patna on 7th June morning at five in the morning,halt at ranchi for an hour at a relative's place in Shyamali and then proceed to Jamshedpur to another relative's place. No driving at night on that stretch , as you advised. Let us see how it pans out. After reading your post, one feels reassured. Thanks.
Old 29th May 2013, 15:05   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
On Mohania - Patna.. the road is not too good at places, your average speed may not go above 80. However, the route is safe. I did a Noida-Patna-Samastipur and back during Holi and crossed Mohania around 7pm reaching Patna at 11:15.

Koilwar bridge is in precarious condition and one way is followed, so plan your ride that you reach around 7 or later, otherwise would stuck in jam. Same is true about Arrah bypass. There is a railway crossing at Arrah on the by-pass and it causes long queues both ways. Account at least half an hour for the same. Or if you can find your way, there is a fly-over about 1.5kms before the crossing, going through the town via railway station, little bit crowded, but you'll avoid the by-pass and jam.

Further, from Bihta go via Maner (you take a left cut) and Danapur Cantt and not the route that your navigator would guide (straight). Though both roads reach Patna, but by taking Maner route, you can avoid some very bad roads with big potholes (lesson learnt though bad experience) and you can devour on some Maner ka Laddos too (by the way, their chaat is also good). Ask for Rajeev at Maner sweets for great hospitality.

Danapur cantt has a speed restriction for 20kmph, but the road is good and cantonment guards ensure that the road is never blocked.

Let me know if you require any further bit on this.

My advise - if you're not meeting / visiting anyone at Patna and just planning a stop-over, don't go. Stop somewhere in Varanasi / Mughal Sarai and stick to NH2 till Barhi. Take right for Hazaribagh and take Ranchi route from there.
Priceless information, I have to admit. By 7, I reckon you mean seven in the evening. You did the Mohania-Patna stretch fairly quickly. My father-in-law is in Patna in addition to so many other close relatives, so Patna is the entry point. On 7th June early morning, we will leave Patna for Jamshedpur.

I would certainly take the Arrah flyover and avoid the railway crossing. At koelwar, it would be a nonchalant drive up to the front of the queue. Never mind the stares and swearings. And yes, the thing about not following navigation at Bihta and going to maner, i cannot thank you enough.

About 21 years ago, my married sister lived in Arrah but travel was through train in decrepit bogies that had benches along the sides for seating. The scene was straight out of Attenborough's 'Gandhi'. But, I loved those sights and places. Like everything else, things would have changed a lot here also. In udwantnagar, the sweet you mentioned is called 'Belgrami'.It is delicious.
Old 29th May 2013, 16:40   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Shyamli? I have lived in Shyamali for about 30 years of my life. In fact, I am 30! Shifted out of Shyamali a few months back.

Quite a few things common here, my maternal grandfather's place is Arrah!

Last edited by saket77 : 29th May 2013 at 17:04.
Old 29th May 2013, 20:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
By 7, I reckon you mean seven in the evening. You did the Mohania-Patna stretch fairly quickly. My father-in-law is in Patna in addition to so many other close relatives, so Patna is the entry point...

..In udwantnagar, the sweet you mentioned is called 'Belgrami'.It is delicious.
Yes I meant 7 evening. I did it, was riding my beast - scorpio so small potholes are not counted.

By the way, we share the same city for our Sasuraal! My father-in-law too is at Patna

And it was Saket who mentioned the belgrami as Khurma. It's delicious, but somehow I'm not able to digest paneer or it's product and hence. Rajeev at Maner Sweets is a good friend and hence I mentioned.

I too have experienced those days right out of "Gandhi" movie, by the way. Have spent close to 25 years in Bihar. But those were the days....
Old 10th June 2013, 12:46   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I meant 7 evening. I did it, was riding my beast - scorpio so small potholes are not counted.

By the way, we share the same city for our Sasuraal! My father-in-law too is at Patna

And it was Saket who mentioned the belgrami as Khurma. It's delicious, but somehow I'm not able to digest paneer or it's product and hence. Rajeev at Maner Sweets is a good friend and hence I mentioned.

I too have experienced those days right out of "Gandhi" movie, by the way. Have spent close to 25 years in Bihar. But those were the days....
I have reached jamshedpur. smoothly. stay over at patna(3 nights), hazaribagh(1 night) and now jamshedpur. from tomorrow, the return journey would start with ranchi(3 nights) stopover.

nh-2 was very good. mohania patna ok. patna hazaribagh very good. hazaribagh -tatanagar also nice in stretches. after hazaribagh and up to ramgarh, the scenic beauty is awesome. jharkhand is a paradise.

would posts photos and journey details after i reach home this sunday.
mkbksc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 14:56   #24
BHPian

Cool! I'd be interested to know how the Mohania-Patna lag went.
Old 10th June 2013, 16:34   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have reached jamshedpur. smoothly. stay over at patna(3 nights), hazaribagh(1 night) and now jamshedpur. from tomorrow, the return journey would start with ranchi(3 nights) stopover.

nh-2 was very good. mohania patna ok. patna hazaribagh very good. hazaribagh -tatanagar also nice in stretches. after hazaribagh and up to ramgarh, the scenic beauty is awesome. jharkhand is a paradise.

would posts photos and journey details after i reach home this sunday.
mkbksc. Glad to know that everything went on smoothly. Are you there for 3 days at Ranchi, if I read correctly?

Will be eagerly waiting for the snaps.

Regards,
Saket
Old 11th June 2013, 17:46   #26
BHPian

There are so mnay snaps and info that in order to make a meaningful and crisp travelogue, I would have to devote some serious time to this project. This would happen after 16th once I am back home.

I am in Ranchi now.

About Mohania -Patna, 60% of total road length is good and the balance is ok. It is two laned with smooth top cover in stretches. In my XUV, I could do 70-80 kmph speed easily. There was a Tata Indigo alongside carrying newly weds that travelled at a faster speed. No jerks for me. The indigo may be suffering jerks bcoz of other reasons.The road in villages like Parasthua( first village after left turn at Mohania),Semaria, Kochas,Dinara pass through village markets but you can sail through without jam,bottlenecks etc. as traffic is sparse. Ara looked dreadful, the bypass is a joke bcoz it is just another lane through the city. Luckily for us, the railway crossing was open. As suggested by all of you, we overtook all the trucks/buses at Koelwar head and were mercifully waved through by the posse of policemen,armymen to land at the mouth of the bridge. It was smooth sailing throughout, we went through khagaul and not maner / danapur. There were no pot holes on this road. In 14 hours since starting from noida, we were at Sheikpura inside Patna. It was too good to be true so the deja vu. A long jam wasted 45 minutes on that extended Bailey road. Construction of an overbridge was the culprit. Finally, we reached home at S.K.Nagar Patna at 8 pm sharp.
mkbksc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 12:12   #27
BHPian

Quote:
There are so mnay snaps and info that in order to make a meaningful and crisp travelogue, I would have to devote some serious time to this project. This would happen after 16th once I am back home.
We'll wait for a detailed travelogue!

Quote:
Ara looked dreadful, the bypass is a joke bcoz it is just another lane through the city. Luckily for us, the railway crossing was open
Luck smiled on you it seems!

Quote:
It was smooth sailing throughout, we went through khagaul and not maner / danapur. There were no pot holes on this road.
Again, I'm happily surprised. May be they've come into action to prepare the road. If so, then obviously khagaul route saves time and distance than maner route.
Old 20th June 2013, 12:46   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This would happen after 16th once I am back home.
Hope you are back home from a great road trip! Do share your experiences.
BTW, I gave you a call when you were at Ranchi but got no reply.
Old 21st June 2013, 14:27   #29
BHPian

I am really sorry Saket. My phone conked out on 13th Thursday while in ranchi and was alive again back in noida on 16th evening. But in case I have missed your call prior to 13th, I am extremely sorry. Can we speak now?
Old 18th September 2013, 10:41   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Cool! I'd be interested to know how the Mohania-Patna lag went.
Hi there. I have shared the photos and text under a new thread titled Noida_Jamshedpur.This was uploaded a month ago. Hope you have seen it.

Most Viewed