Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2010, 22:49   #1
BHPian

Driving down throughout the GQ

Hi All,

Recently there was a new in TOI that 2 guys are going to cover the whole GQ streach in less than 100 hrs in a Bike, which is about 7900 km, am not sure how there are going to do that. My question is, has any one atempted this in a car? if not any one interested? I would like to map this streach and see how much time it takes...

Regards,

Avijit
Old 5th January 2010, 10:54   #2
BHPian

Avijit,

Whole GQ has been driven in cars (Scorpio & Safari) twice. Ist by HV Kumar, hrag, and team (Dec. 2008) and then by Shiva (GSMINC) and Arindam Ray (Swift D) in April 2009. Their detailed log books are available on T-BHP travelogue section. Referring those threads will answer your queries.
Hope this helps.
Old 5th January 2010, 13:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...s-6000kms.html
Old 6th January 2010, 17:40   #4
BHPian

I checked with HV Kumar and went through his posts in google and TBHP. I am on for it and planning the trip mid august will try to do it within 5 days...
Old 6th January 2010, 17:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

They will complete in about 5.5-6 days at the current going rate.

In a car, it has to be below 5 days to be anything near newsworthy.
Everyone and their best friend is doing it. Why are you trying for the same - ref your signature ?

IMNSHO (having assisted multiple such attempts), August is exactly the worst time - not as bad as bikes but useless overall. Why August?
Old 6th January 2010, 18:19   #6
BHPian

I know you have monsoon in mind... even I have given a thaught... but that is the time when and my co-driver will get about weeks off from office ...

I want to try it for few reasons -

1) I like driving
2) I want to drive through the GQ once in lifetime ... atleast
3) I want to see if it can be doable in less than 5 days

in a two wheeler its easy when you face the traffic, but you will get tired soon let say after 2000 km.. consider rain, sun, hear wave...

if its not august then end of September. I have two trips in mind

Kanyakumari to Ladakh and GQ... lets see if I can do them
Old 6th January 2010, 20:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

GQ Drive - don't do it during monsoons (bad roads) and winter (heavy fog). Ideally do it in Mar-Apr or Oct-Nov.

Kashmir 2 Kanyakumari, great drive, you can check out the route plan (same route as the incomplete North-South corridor). I did it in 2002 in 4 days (+ 1 night) in the old 2-lane roads, but now you can do it much faster than that.

KASHMIR to KANYAKUMARI 2002 - hvkumar | Google Groups
Old 6th January 2010, 22:00   #8
BHPian

Thanks Kumar, I changed my mind and will plan it in September. Looking forward to K 2 K, after completion of GQ... lets see how much time it will take for me. One question or seeking advice.. Should I start from Bangalore to Chennai or Bangalore to Mumbai? (facing the bad road at the begining or end)
Old 6th January 2010, 22:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Thanks Kumar, I changed my mind and will plan it in September. Looking forward to K 2 K, after completion of GQ... lets see how much time it will take for me. One question or seeking advice.. Should I start from Bangalore to Chennai or Bangalore to Mumbai? (facing the bad road at the begining or end)
It is such a long journey with so many ifs and buts - good and bad roads - that it does not really matter. But I am very superstitious and always do a pradakshina (clockwise) which means it will be Bangalore-Bombay-Delhi-Calcutta-Madras-Bangalore. No bad roads anywhere really - some incomplete sections between Chitradurga and Haveri, some in Jharkhand and some incomplete sections in Orissa.
Old 7th January 2010, 11:32   #10
BHPian

any idea about the road completion between Bangalore to Jhansi? NHDP maps as per 30 Nov,09 shows almost 95% under construction under this streach..
Old 7th January 2010, 11:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
any idea about the road completion between Bangalore to Jhansi? NHDP maps as per 30 Nov,09 shows almost 95% under construction under this streach..
NHAI sites do not show the real India, must be showing some other foreign country

Progress is very poor on the NS corridor through MP, and right from Jhansi, road widening work has been going on very slowly for years, resulting in terrible roads. It is incomplete in Jhansi-Sagar-Laknadon-Nagpur sections, but is making good progress in NH7 between Nagpur and Hyderabad and is significantly complete between Hyderabad and Bangalore. For the time, teh stretch between Jhansi and Laknadon is totally avoidable.
Old 10th March 2010, 20:50   #12
BHPian

Doing this in November, but not the whole, bangalore to Jaipur and back. Will travel the entire Rajesthan during the trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks