Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2010, 08:39   #16
BHPian

Thanks Raveendra for the info. In fact I also drove through this route upto Tarapith during Nov 30 2009 and found many scattered potholes along the entire stretch beetween Darjeeling More (Panagarh) and Tarapith. In fact just after crossing Darjeeling more, about 3 kms , roads were almost completely broken for a small strectch of about 500-600 mtrs. More dangerous were the sudden and scattered potholes that sprung up nasty surprises for me and the springs of my Alto in the Ilambazar-Siuri-Tarapith section. Its great to know that it is being repaired.
Old 11th January 2010, 08:44   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Slightly confused. If by "these places", you mean the ones with the evocative names, then with the possible exception of Rajabhatkhawa, the other places are exactly like every other very ordinary small town/ overgrown village.

Sutripta

Ohh, my mistake. Yes I meant Rajabhatkhawa, and I confused Chapar with Chapramari.
Old 14th January 2010, 11:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

Since you will be spending the first night in Siliguri you can decide on whether to go via Sevoke or Jalpaiguri after reaching Siliguri. Via Sevoke, as everyone says, is very picturesque. Take Jalpaiguri only if there are bandhs on the Sevoke route.

I don't want to put you off but GJM is not the only political party that you have to contend with. This area is full of ethnic minorities and any one of them could call a strike on a particular day. There are adivasis (who spoilt my drive and I had to be rescued by the army near Binaguri earlier this year), the Kamtapuris, the Koch, the Bhopalis and various other religious groups.

This region is now being called the neck of the chicken and it is easy to squeeze the neck. The administration just does nothing during such flash strikes.

Another point to remember if you are stuck anywhere due to a strike - all bandhs happen during the day. By sundown the agitators all go home to drink country liquor. GJM bandhs of course are different and a lot more violent.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2010, 09:51   #19
BHPian

Thanks Sudipto for the suggestions and valuable inputs
Old 17th July 2017, 11:22   #20
BHPian

Re: Kolkata to Gorumara Route Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Since you will be spending the first night in Siliguri you can decide on whether to go via Sevoke or Jalpaiguri after reaching Siliguri. Via Sevoke, as everyone says, is very picturesque. Take Jalpaiguri only if there are bandhs on the Sevoke route.

I don't want to put you off but GJM is not the only political party that you have to contend with. This area is full of ethnic minorities and any one of them could call a strike on a particular day. There are adivasis (who spoilt my drive and I had to be rescued by the army near Binaguri earlier this year), the Kamtapuris, the Koch, the Bhopalis and various other religious groups.

This region is now being called the neck of the chicken and it is easy to squeeze the neck. The administration just does nothing during such flash strikes.

Another point to remember if you are stuck anywhere due to a strike - all bandhs happen during the day. By sundown the agitators all go home to drink country liquor. GJM bandhs of course are different and a lot more violent.
A very old post, but once again relevant, driving to Dooars on the weekend od 22nd July and as I expect, the way GJM is going berserk, Sevoke will be completely off limits now, will have to take the Jalpaiguri route, though always loved the Sevoke route to Dooars.
Old 17th July 2017, 11:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by themagicclicks View Post
A very old post, but once again relevant, driving to Dooars on the weekend od 22nd July and as I expect, the way GJM is going berserk, Sevoke will be completely off limits now, will have to take the Jalpaiguri route, though always loved the Sevoke route to Dooars.
Unfortunate but true. Where are you headed?
Old 17th July 2017, 11:46   #22
BHPian

@Sudipto-S-Team - Will spend a few days at The Reserve Gorumara and drive around a little, but the news of all the hydel projects shut down in fear of agitation and destruction might hamper plans of revisiting Bindu, I don't know. Will know once there. Will contact rahul_kej, our Siliguri man, for more info. Will sit and watch the rain if travelling much is hampered.
Old 17th July 2017, 12:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

The forests in rain are very beautiful. Very few can appreciate that beauty. I am one of those few who does. All the best. Have a great time. I will be curious to know the road condition on the Calcutta-Siliguri section though.
Please PM me if you post anything after your return.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks