Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2017, 21:03   #241
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Thanks, I left Bangalore this morning and took the Davangere-SH25 route.
After the turn into SH25 towards Honnali, the roads are very good for a few kms, then its a nightmare (before and after Malebennur) when you see km after km of broken roads. When I mean broken, its 2 layers peeled off on both lanes. Its one of worst streches I travelled in South india. As you reach Honnali the roads are good.
We took the above route yesterday while coming back from Kodachadri to Bengaluru and that stretch is a nightmare for us bikers also, we were 4 bikes on the ride.

But while going yesterday morning we took Hassan - Chikamagaluru - Tarikere - Shivamogga - Nagara - Kodachadri and we enjoyed like anything, that is the best route if you are fine by some extra distance to be covered.

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 3rd December 2017 at 21:05.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 18:20   #242
BHPian

Friends,

I have to travel to Kollur from Bangalore on 26th of JAN. The predicament is that I am traveling with my pregnant wife. Can I know which would be the best route in terms of road conditions to reach Kollur ? , I can stretch my distance and I am flexible on timings.

Thanks in advance..
Old 24th January 2018, 17:46   #243
Senior - BHPian

You can do it in the following ways

Option 1: Bengaluru - Nelamangala - Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Hariharapura - Agumbe - Goliangadi - Shankaranaryana - Kollur

Till Chikmagalur, you have good to excellent roads. After Chimagalur, roads are good but twisty till Balehonnur. Post that roads are good. Till Chikmagalur, you have good options for food, post which you will have to check in at local joints. Or you need to get into Kundapura for some decent ones.

Option 2: Bengaluru - Tumakuru - SIra - Chitradurga - Channagiri - Shivamogga - Ripponpete - Hosanagara - Nagara - Hulikal ghat - Kollur

Again good options till Shivamogga for food. Post which local restaurants are available in towns enroute. Roads are good here and this will be the fastest way to reach Kollur. Another option is to take Chitradurga - Channagiri - Honalli snd bypass the Shivamogga town.

Option 3: Bengaluru - Nelamangala - CR patna - Arsikere - Kadur - Tarikere - Lakkavalli - Umblibail - Thirthahalli - Nagara - Hulikal ghat - Kollur

Excellent roads till CR patna, post which till Arsikere, you will have speed breakers in every village, atleast 3 in each. Arsikere to Perumanahalli is the state highway which is 2 lane road. Traffic is at the height during peak hours and considerably slow to move. After the turnoff, scenic route throughout. Roads are being widened in the Mandagadde - Thirthahalli sector which will ensure you drive steady.

Hope this helps you in deciding your journey. If you ask me, I would stick to Option 2 through Chitradurga.
unk9ja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 23:24   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post

Hope this helps you in deciding your journey. If you ask me, I would stick to Option 2 through Chitradurga.
Avoid option 3, Thirthalli-Nagara was not good in Dec 2017 for about 7 to 10kms.
I would also agree with option 2, not sure of the road condition from Chitradurga to Shimoga. After Shimoga, you won't find decent hotels, rest rooms or petrol bunks.
sansvk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 09:58   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHkrish View Post
Bangalore on 26th of JAN
Will be going most of the way tomorrow with family. More than happy to drive together if the timing works for you. Planning on a 6 am start from Yeshwantpur.

Quote:
Bengaluru - Nelamangala - Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Hariharapura - Agumbe - Goliangadi
Planning to take this tomorrow to get to Kundapura. Would the time take on Route 1 & 2 be the same? I have done Sringeri many times and typically I have taken 4 hours for Bangalore - Chikmagalur and 1.5 hours for Chikmagalur - Sringeri. Would Sringeri - Goliangadi be another 1.5 Hours of sedate driving?
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 12:17   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks A ton for the info, I would pick route 2 and I am planning on a very early start tomorrow. Would post the experience after the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Avoid option 3, Thirthalli-Nagara was not good in Dec 2017 for about 7 to 10kms.
I would also agree with option 2, not sure of the road condition from Chitradurga to Shimoga. After Shimoga, you won't find decent hotels, rest rooms or petrol bunks.
Thanks, I would tank up at Shimoga and I am planning to go with route 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Will be going most of the way tomorrow with family. More than happy to drive together if the timing works for you. Planning on a 6 am start from Yeshwantpur.
Much obliged for the invitation, but I would be starting earlier around 3 AM (or thats the plan so far ) to reach kollur by afternoon. Hence I would have to pass this time , Thanks again .

Last edited by ampere : 30th January 2018 at 15:38. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
TheHkrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 03:43   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove to Koteshwar yesterday via Goliangadi. With a 6 am start, I was expecting a lot of traffic till Hassan but that was not the case. The only stretch with crazy traffic was Hassan - Belur due to Shiradi closure. Stopped for lunch at Hotel Mayur just after climbing down Agumbe. Decent food & ok restroom - good place to stop if traveling with family. Don't miss the kokum juice.

Timelog
Yeshwantpur - Swati Delicasy: 6:00 - 7:00
Swati - Hassan: 7:45 - 9:00
Hassan - Chikmagalur: 9:00 - 10:10
Chikmagalur - Sringeri: 10:40 - 12:00
Sringeri - Someshwar: 12:00 - 1:00
Someshwar - Goliangadi - Koteshwar: 1:45 - 2:40

Total drive time of less than 7 hrs for ~420 Kms with lots of twisties is just super! How I wish I was driving a nice little hatch that I could throw around.

Last edited by procrj : 27th January 2018 at 03:44.
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 13:36   #248
BHPian

Hi Had a trip to Kollur and Back to Bangalore During the Republic day Weekend. Huge crowd in Kollur due to the extended weekend.

As discussed by unk9ja and sansvk, their route suggestions and details were spot on .

Took the following route to Kollur.
Bengaluru - Tumakuru - SIra - Chitradurga - Channagiri - Shivamogga - Ripponpete - Hosanagara - Nagara - Hulikal ghat - Kollur.

Started at 3.30 AM

Excellent Roads till Chitradurga. From Chithradurga to Shivamogga decent road with very sparse traffic. From Shivamogga to Kollur very little traffic and almost empty roads. Reached Kollur in around 3PM. ( Had a lots of stops as I was driving with my pregnant wife and my 3 year old daughter).

On Return took the Agumbe Route :

Kollur - Goliangadi - Agumbe - Balehonnur - Aldur - Chikmagalur - Hassan - Bangalore.

The roads were decent through out, barring a few small construction patches on the road. Eateries were less till Chikmagalur , and as unk9ja have mentioned twisty roads from Balehonnur to Chikmagalur. As Agumbe being Ghats there as well.

Had a late start and halted at Hassan , stayed at Mallige Residency ( Decent hotel , 24 hours checkin checkout) . Hassan to Bangalore was a breeze covered in 3 hours.

Thanks a ton for the route suggestions and making our journey safer.

Onward Journey ( Via Chithradurga)

Route Map

Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries-screen-shot-20180130-3.08.22-pm.png

Return Journey ( Via Chikmagalur - Hassan)

Route Map

Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries-chikmagalur-route.png

Last edited by ampere : 30th January 2018 at 15:43. Reason: back to back posts merged
TheHkrish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 11:55   #249

Quote:

Option 2: Bengaluru - Tumakuru - SIra - Chitradurga - Channagiri - Shivamogga - Ripponpete - Hosanagara - Nagara - Hulikal ghat - Kollur
I am planning to take the above route as suggested. When I went last time, about 2 years ago, for the last part I took Nagara - Nittur - Kollur. It saves about 30km though roads are narrow and twisty. Any idea how is the condition of the road now?
Old 15th February 2018, 21:04   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlack View Post
I am planning to take the above route as suggested. When I went last time, about 2 years ago, for the last part I took Nagara - Nittur - Kollur. It saves about 30km though roads are narrow and twisty. Any idea how is the condition of the road now?

Nagar - Nittur - Kollur is good, all the way ghat and little careful as it's narrow and no sidewalls in the ghats. But the journey is one of the best scenic. I went recently in this route.
hyderabadi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 21:57   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlack View Post
The ghat section roads are good, some stretch concrete has been laid. It's not too narrow, good enough for two vehicles to pass.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 09:58   #252
Team-BHP Support

The good thing about Hulikal is its not a part of mainstream traffic. So by and large you dont find the buses or trucks hogging the road all the time.

Also Ayanur-Ripponpete-Nagar is quite low on traffic (and also facilities). But on the whole a good option to hit Kollur.
Old 21st March 2018, 23:03   #253

That's a lot of good suggestions. But when I searched on Google map it is suggesting Bangalore - Yediyur - Tiptur which seems to be in no one's list. Anyone done that? Planning to drive to Nagaraj on Friday with a start at 4 am. Also, is Tarikere - Thirthahalli very bad ? Food etc, not an issue for me.
Old 22nd March 2018, 05:17   #254
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore to Yadiyur is breeze. After turning right, it is a 2 lane road with three speed breakers per village. Once you join the state highway at Kibbanahalli cross, traffic is at it's peak and speed drops down drastically. Road widening is going on between Maduba and Thirthahalli with some rough patches here and there.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 12:18   #255
BHPian

Im confused with the route, last time when i went, followed google and went along 6 line till chitradurga and took left to kollur.
while came back, came via badravathi.
I am planning to start from marathahalli at around 4 pm saturday. So which route is good for that time?
is there any restriction for night travel in the ghat section?
please suggest...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks