Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2019, 19:50   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gops2009 View Post
Plan to start from Yeswanthpur at around 5 :00 AM.
Best bet for breakfast would probably be Aramanne, Tarikere or Meenakshi Bhavan, Shimoga. Should be able to get to Kollur for lunch as its about 3 to 3.5 hrs from Shimoga. Check above posts by Binanad or Gadhadhar for exact route details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Hiriyur-Shimoga route or Chitraduraga-Shimoga?
Hiriyur - Ajjampura - Shimoga should be the best bet as a friend mentioned that Channagiri - Shimoga has gotten bad now post rains.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 20:43   #317
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Hiriyur - Ajjampura - Shimoga should be the best bet as a friend mentioned that Channagiri - Shimoga has gotten bad now post rains.
Any idea about a demolished bridge in this route ?
I'd asked about this earlier in July as well but didn't get a response.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4630986 (Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries)
Old 15th October 2019, 07:22   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore o Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Any idea about a demolished bridge in this route ?
I'd asked about this earlier in July as well but didn't get a response.
BHPian Sandsun7 took this route in July and said it was perfectly fine.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 14:39   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Couple of good friends have recommended these 2 hotels (each stayed at one of them), hope both have parking ? Tariff wise, Jyothis is slightly on the higher side (almost negligible ~Rs.250).
My personal preference is Jyothis for no reason, but Mahalakshmi I feel has a better kitchen and is little more nearer to the temple.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 13:21   #320
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

What are the other temples and places of interest in Kollur (not too far from the Mookambika temple) ?

Saw these on the map nearby to the Mookambika temple - Any first hand experiences visiting these ? - Gopalkrishna temple, Siddeshwara temple & Shankaracharya Park.
Old 3rd November 2019, 06:57   #321
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Update from recent trip:
Took the Bangalore-Hiriyur-Hosadurga-Ajjampura-Tarikere-Shimoga-Ayanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagara-Nagara-Nittur-Kollur route. Overall, road conditions were very good and there was less traffic, peaceful drive. With a 5 am start, was able to reach Kollur by 1:45 pm.

If I have to nitpick, there were some minor rough spots near few culverts, nothing worrisome - this was near Hosanagara. The ghat road from Nittur, nearing Kollur were very good, wide and concretized. Again, a few minor blemishes after the descent and when concrete road ends and asphalted section starts - very negligible considering how much rain pounds these places.

*There were some small stretches when nearing Hosadurga that are undergoing some repairs and can be tricky when it rains. Will update it on the relevant thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Best bet for breakfast would probably be Aramanne, Tarikere
This place was very nice, stopped here for a late breakfast

The plan of driving right in between the long holiday weekend paid off for us - very less crowds at the Mookambika temple, we were able to get multiple darshans at the temple without any jostling and could also be present during the evening Mangalarathis.
In fact, after darshan on Thursday evening, we were able to also get darshan on Friday morning (though crowd was a bit more and we had to wait 30 minutes in the line) and witness the special pujas including procession of the Uthsava moorthy in the palanquins and chariot around the inner periphery of the sanctum

Last edited by NPV : 3rd November 2019 at 07:23.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:46   #322
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This place was very nice, stopped here for a late breakfast
This is one of the good happenings on this highway. And they have chosen their location well. Whether you chose the Hiriyur road or the CR Patna option or the regular NH206, you cannot miss this place.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:54   #323
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This is one of the good happenings on this highway. And they have chosen their location well. Whether you chose the Hiriyur road or the CR Patna option or the regular NH206, you cannot miss this place.
Only problem is though it is about 270Km from Bangalore, it took us little more than 4 hours, so with the 5 am start, we got there at 9:15 am, tad late for breakfast. Thankfully, we had anticipated this and carried some light snacks from home

Also, about 2-3 Km of road inside Tarikere town is rough, minor traffic jams and slow moving traffic.

2-3 Km after Aramane Vaibhava, there was a white Innova highway patrol car with a dish antenna, not sure if these guys were also getting set up for speed checks there (don't even remember seeing any speed limit signs posted en route), there was a patch of rough road and I was at very low ~40kmph speeds when I passed them. Any idea what's the speed limit around here ?

Last edited by NPV : 3rd November 2019 at 11:04.
Old 5th November 2019, 13:55   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Update from recent trip:
Took the Bangalore-Hiriyur-Hosadurga-Ajjampura-Tarikere-Shimoga-Ayanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagara-Nagara-Nittur-Kollur route. Overall, road conditions were very good and there was less traffic, peaceful drive. With a 5 am start, was able to reach Kollur by 1:45 pm.
Did a Bangalore - Bhadra RiverTern JLR - Kollur - Chikmagalur - Bangalore round trip during 31st Oct - 3rd Nov.

Onward route was same as NPV's with a slight detour for 1 day stay at JLR.
  • Started 6:30 AM from Sarjapur rd
  • Had breakfast at Kamat Upachar, Sira.
  • Proceeded to Tarikere & RiverTern JLR.
  • Superb drive with no traffic (except a little bit at Tarikere town)
Road conditions
  • Google leads you though a shortcut for ~2KM which is a narrow road(I think it is near to Bharamagiri lake, not 100% sure). GMap shows it as main road.
  • A few minor diversions for culvert work, nothing much to worry - one was a bit tricky with slush
  • There are intermittent broken surfaces, and it seems the road relaying is happening in sections. The amber/red coloured spots on Gmap gives you ample indication to slow down in advance to avoid crashing into potholes.

Re-started to Kollur via Shimoga-Ayanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagara-Nagara-Nittur next day.
  • Good roads all through, with some potholes once in a while on Ayanur - Hosanagara stretch. Again, Gmaps indicated them.
  • Start of the ghat has some broken road, but the ghat section is cool with white topping.
  • Blissful drive with absolutely no traffic and nice vegetation along the road. Very relaxing.
One thing we were caught unaware was, no food or restroom options after Shimoga all the way to Kollur. Saw one or two small hotels at Hosanagara, but we decided not to stop.

Return was via Chikmagalur as we had planned a day's stay there.
From Kollur, took Jadkal, Halady, Agumbe, Nagalapura, Narve (shortcut to bypass Koppa), Jayapura, Balehonnur, Aldur, Chikmagalur
  • Small and twisty roads throughout, tiring drive. Can't maintain a decent speed.
  • No eateries/break options as well
  • Agumbe ghat was good with steep climb and many hairpin bends. But was too hot during mid day.
  • Would avoid this and take the Nagara, Ayanur, Shivamogga Tarikere, Athigiri route. In my view, that would be much faster and less tiring
  • There are other attractions en route such as temples around Sringeri. We did not stop as they were not in our plan.

Chikmagalur - Bangalore was standard stuff via Belur-Hassan-and NH 75, with queues at toll plazas, jam at Nelamangala.

Took lunch break at Hotel Raama, Hassan. It is shown as Swaad Veg Restaurant on Gmap. They have 'Liquid lounge bar' which serves non veg also. We chose the lounge bar as the veg restaurant was full and had a waiting queue to enter. Ok food, nothing great.

Overall, the onward drive was very relaxing while the return was tiring.
MSAneesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 22:01   #325
Senior - BHPian

Checking on a portion of this route:

For Mangalore to Kollur, which is the best route, I mean where exactly is the diversion to be taken from NH66. Gmaps shows several options, not sure which is the best option on the ground.

After Udupi, or from Kundapura, or after Kundapura, or Baindur?

(This is for Mangalore to Kollur, not from Bangalore)
Old 13th February 2021, 22:27   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

For Mangalore to Kollur, which is the best route, I mean where exactly is the diversion to be taken from NH66. Gmaps shows several options, not sure which is the best option on the ground.

No idea about your overall route but Baindur to Kollur road is awesome. Following pic shows this road.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...iew-forest.jpg
androdev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 09:38   #327
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well I can suggest Kundapur-Ampar-Wandse Kollur. I really dont know if exit from Baindur is good as I have never taken route.

Give most sections are 4-laned, it may be worth trying to drive all the till Baindur. But yes overall the Ampar-Wandse-Kollur road was quite decent prior to monsoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
No idea about your overall route but Baindur to Kollur road is awesome. Following pic shows this road.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...iew-forest.jpg

Then I guess Baindur should be the preferred exit.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 20:32   #328
BHPian

Quote:

Two diversions can be suggested.
1. About 2 or 3 Kms before Baindur, just after Bijur, you get Baindur - Kollur road. You can take this diversion. This takes you straight to Halkal junction which is 3 Kms to Kollur. Maintain Left in this junction to Kollur.

2. About 2 Kms after Kundapura's Shastri's Circle (RNS Hall to your right is the landmark) You can take diversion at Hemmadi. This road leads to a T-Junction, in which you need to take left. This will lead to Wandse. And then to Kollur. Just follow the milestone.

In both these routes about 70% to 80% traffic are Kollur bound. (Pre-Covid days). There are some blind spots and at few junctions have narrow roads. You need to drive slow in those sections.

Taking these two diversion will ensure you are on NH-66 for most of the of your distance.

Regards,
CarlosTHEjackal
carlosTHEjackal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 12:37   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
..but Baindur to Kollur road is awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
...Then I guess Baindur should be the preferred exit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosTHEjackal View Post
...About 2 or 3 Kms before Baindur, just after Bijur, you get Baindur - Kollur road. You can take this diversion. This takes you straight to Halkal junction which is 3 Kms to Kollur. Maintain Left in this junction to Kollur.
Did the trip yesterday and yes, I took the Baindur - Kollur route.

Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries-screenshot_20210217122955_onelap.jpg

The travel was during 2am-3am ish, so preferred a straight forward route. And the route is awesome and I would prefer this any day even though you have to travel a little up till Baindur. The 4 lane till Baindur and more or less straight stretch further to Kollur makes this a peaceful drive. At that time of the day, the whole stretch was all for me, not even a single vehicle was there around.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 17th February 2021 at 12:40.
balenoed_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 16:17   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I took the Baindur - Kollur route.
The condition of this route hasn't deteriorated for a while now and has remained consistent as per my knowledge. Last we did was in April 2019 when we returned from Mangalore via Agumbe and the road was good.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed