Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2021, 13:12   #331
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

can someone please suggest the best route to Kollur Mookambika temple from Bangalore based on the current road conditions. I prefer to start early in the morning by around 3 am fro Bangalore and if possible return back on the same day. I understand it's a long drive but there are three of us who can take turns to drive. Thanks in advance.
Old 21st March 2021, 13:35   #332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharp77 View Post
can someone please suggest the best route to Kollur Mookambika temple from Bangalore based on the current road conditions. I prefer to start early in the morning by around 3 am fro Bangalore and if possible return back on the same day. I understand it's a long drive but there are three of us who can take turns to drive. Thanks in advance.
My suggestion would be:

Bangalore-Chitradurga-Shimoga-Ayannur-Ripponpet-Hosanagara-Nagar-Nittur-Kollur.

The last section from Nittur/Nagodi is a ghat section.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 10:20   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
My suggestion would be:

While this is the best option and my regular choice, I would like to explore the Agumbe option this time while coming back. I have never travelled through this part, feedbacks on the road conditions and food options will be helpful.

We may also do a jeep trip to Kudachadri on Saturday if time permits, plan is to start 4ish from JP Nagar.

Last edited by gadadhar : 23rd March 2021 at 10:25.
Old 23rd March 2021, 12:51   #334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
While this is the best option and my regular choice, I would like to explore the Agumbe option this time while coming back. I have never travelled through this part, feedbacks on the road conditions and food options will be helpful.
Even thats a decent route. Only unknown is Ampar to Someshwar (foot of Agumbe). Beyond that its the usual. Agumbe-Srigeri-Balehonnur-Chikkamaggulur Bangalore. Roads are twisty. So driving is fun but for passengers.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 13:08   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharp77 View Post
Quote:

We may also do a jeep trip to Kudachadri on Saturday if time permits, plan is to start 4ish from JP Nagar.

Some recent updates from another thread (Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries), though not a direct trip to Kollur from Bangalore:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Hi DragonHawk, for traveling to Dharmastala from Bangalore, would you suggest the Hassan-Sakleshpur-Gundya route, or the Belur-Mudigere-Charmady route ?

Google seems to suggest the Charmady route, so I wasn't sure which one to take. Am planning a trip this week to Dharmastala, Kukke, Udupi, Kollur and Murudeswar (in that order).

Planning to visit Dharmastala and Kukke on day 1 and stay at Kukke. Udupi and Kollur on Day 2 with stay at Murudeshwar. Then return back to Bangalore after a day at Murudeswar. Any suggestions are appreciated .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Update after my trip:

I tried all 3 routes (Charmady, Shirady & Bisle) during my 4 day trip. I will try to post a more detailed report, but here is the short gist for anyone planning a trip soon.

Charmady was awesome. The road is smooth as butter and no potholes anywhere. There was almost no traffic when I did this on Friday. It was so much fun to drive.

Shirady was probably the worst among all 3 routes. Lot of road work going on. There were many potholes and the road from Hassan to Sakleshpur was bad. But with road work going on, the roads could be good pretty soon. There is lot of truck traffic on this road though, so better to avoid, if possible.

Bisle was good for most of the way, but there were some bad patches after Bisle village. There is around 1-2 kms , where there is no road, and it is just a mud track. This is also the road which is the narrowest, but there is very little traffic here.

For people who can't get accommodation at Dharmasthala, it looks like there is a newly opened hotel named Adithya View on the Dharmasthala-Kukke route, just 4 kms from the temple. We were originally planning to stay at Kukke, but cancelled that booking and stayed here, after we saw it on the way. The hotel is really good and value for money for the facilities being offered.

The inner roads all along the ghats are super awesome. Some roads were so smooth that I was wondering if my tyres would grip the surface if I braked suddenly . For instance, the road from Gundya to the gateway of Kukke Subramanya, was so good, I felt like driving in a dream.

The road through Kudremukh forest was bad compared to the other roads nearby, but it was still manageable.

Neer Dosas are available at the various Udupi hotels that you find on the route from Dharmasthala to Kukke (and they were awesome ). The Nisarga Grand hotel near Charmady didn't have them.

Last edited by bejoy : 23rd March 2021 at 13:14.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 10:11   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My suggestion would be:

One more clarification please, Google maps by default is showing Hiriyur -> Hosadurga -> Tarikkere - Bhadra - Teerthahalli bypassing Shimoga. I had used this route earlier and found it fine except for some rough patches near Bhadra (and road work was in progress). Is this a good option to consider now if we decide to stick to Tumkur route
Old 24th March 2021, 14:21   #337
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One more clarification please, Google maps by default is showing Hiriyur -> Hosadurga -> Tarikkere - Bhadra - Teerthahalli bypassing Shimoga. I had used this route earlier and found it fine except for some rough patches near Bhadra (and road work was in progress). Is this a good option to consider now if we decide to stick to Tumkur route
If you do Thirthahalli you then either go down from Agumbe and go via Someshshwar/Ampar. If you go back to Hullikal, its a longer route. If you go via Agumbe, Chikkamagulur is a better option. For Hulikal, Shimoga-Ayannur-Ripponpet is better.

Last edited by ampere : 24th March 2021 at 14:24.
Old 25th March 2021, 13:04   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you do Thirthahalli you then either go down from Agumbe and go via Someshshwar/Ampar. If you go back to Hullikal, its a longer route. If you go via Agumbe, Chikkamagulur is a better option. For Hulikal, Shimoga-Ayannur-Ripponpet is better.
Thanks Ampere, it is bypassing Hulikal (link below), but not sure if it is better option than the Shimoja-Ripponpet one

https://goo.gl/maps/XQaytdrc8sFevf8o8
Old 25th March 2021, 13:12   #339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Ampere, it is bypassing Hulikal (link below), but not sure if it is better option than the Shimoja-Ripponpet one

https://goo.gl/maps/XQaytdrc8sFevf8o8
I remember taking portions the road long back. Especially around Kavaldurga. But its not the route often taken. Also The Hiriyur-Thirthahalli section will slow you down. If you want to do it for fun its a different take. If you still want to take it, I would suggest the SH to Nagar and get to Nagodi. Some of the locations around this region are amazing to explore. But it needs time and pre-work.

Last edited by ampere : 25th March 2021 at 13:17.
Old 25th March 2021, 14:07   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you still want to take it, I would suggest the SH to Nagar and get to Nagodi. Some of the locations around this region are amazing to explore. But it needs time and pre-work.
I will stick to the Chitradurga - Shimoga route in that case. Other option was considered only since it was coming as primary option in Google. I would prefer to stick to the tested and proven option while with a group of kids and family on a temple visit. Thanks again for your support
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 14:32   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Some recent updates from another thread (Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries), though not a direct trip to Kollur from Bangalore:
I went to Kollur from Udupi on my way to Murdeshwar, so it was a different route from what is being asked here. I took the Udupi-Kundapura-Kollur-Yedtre-Bhatkal-Murdeshwar route. The Kundapura-Kollur route is not so great, but the Kollur-Yedtre route was awesome.
Old 17th April 2021, 22:55   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will stick to the Chitradurga - Shimoga route in that case. Other option was considered only since it was coming as primary option in Google. I would prefer to stick to the tested and proven option while with a group of kids and family on a temple visit. Thanks again for your support
Quick check - what route did you end up taking?

I will be travelling to Kollur tomorrow morning and an update will be super helpful. It’s a decision made just now in the family.
Old 19th April 2021, 09:58   #343
BHPian

I went via Chitradurga - Shimoga route both ways. Started around 2:30 am from Bilekahalli and returned by 11:30 pm same day. Just after you divert from NH after Chitradurga there will be some bad roads for one KM, post that the roads are good till Kollur.
sridharp77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 17:18   #344
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

Anyone done Bangalore-Kollur recently? What's the next best option after Agumbe-Ampar?
Old 13th July 2021, 18:31   #345
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Hi all,

Anyone done Bangalore-Kollur recently? What's the next best option after Agumbe-Ampar?
Shimoga, Ayanur, Rippopet, Hosanagar, Nagara, Nittur, Nagodi, Kollur.

Another option is instead going to Kollur go to Manipal. Drive to Manipal first day. Second day you can visit Kollur up and down. If you start by 8AM you can be back 12-1. (Manipal-Kundapur-Vandse-Kollur)

Drive back home the third day.

This way you can visit Udupi temple also (or head to the beach !)
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed