Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2013, 02:43   #46

re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Which route do you plan to take ? Sagar/Jog followed by Kargal SH?
I have not seen any update on the Jog-Bhatkal SH.
Ampere - This is my first trip towards the Shimoga state not sure of which route to take - I have a fluidic Verna which is pretty low slung - Hence, please suggest me the best possible route (even if its longer)
Old 3rd December 2013, 08:39   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucallion View Post
Ampere - This is my first trip towards the Shimoga state not sure of which route to take - I have a fluidic Verna which is pretty low slung - Hence, please suggest me the best possible route (even if its longer)
The following is what many do from Shimoga to go to the temple. Route Link

Drive to Sagar. Take the road to the Sharavathy back waters. Cross the river in a ferry (you car included!), and visit the temple. I dont know how is the stretch from Sagar to the back waters. Need to confirm with others. But I don't have any high hopes for that stretch.
Old 17th December 2013, 12:56   #48
BHPian

I'am planning for a drive to Kollur from Banglore during Christmas holidays. Please suggest the best route option based on recent road conditions.

I'am completely new to this route and planning to take my Figo which is pretty low slung.
Old 17th December 2013, 13:13   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
I'am planning for a drive to Kollur from Banglore during Christmas holidays. Please suggest the best route option based on recent road conditions.

I'am completely new to this route and planning to take my Figo which is pretty low slung.
I would say :

Bangalore-Tumkur-Arsikere-Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Someshwar-Vandse-Kollur.

Route Link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 14:42   #50
Senior - BHPian

Something of interest to anyone driving at night on this route.

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=207510
Old 17th December 2013, 19:52   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say :

Route Link
Ampere, Thanks for the route info. Could you please add some more info like, whether the route is a divided multi carriage way, or simple single carriage way all throughout. If its mixed, how much % of the route will be multi carriage way?

Whether any bad stretches to be cautious about? Sorry to bother but it will be helpful to prepare myself.
Old 17th December 2013, 20:18   #52
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please add some more info like, whether the route is a divided multi carriage way, or simple single carriage way all throughout. If its mixed, how much % of the route will be multi carriage way?
Divided 4 lane is only upto Tumkur on this route. After the toll plaza outside Tumkur you get on to the Tumkur bypass and from here on it's undivided 2 lane roads all the way upto Shimoga and then same is the case for Tirthahalli-Sringeri, etc.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 20:40   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whether any bad stretches to be cautious about? Sorry to bother but it will be helpful to prepare myself.
Check this report about my trip to Kollur on the same route. Don't think the road condition would have changed too much.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3272062
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 18:09   #54
BHPian

I am planning to do Bangalore- kollur this weekend. Is the route below the best ?

Also any stay options for Thirthahalli? We would like to do some sightseeing around Thirthahalli.

Thanks
-S
Old 11th March 2014, 19:30   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
I am planning to do Bangalore- kollur this weekend. Is the route below the best ?

Thats the best. Once you come down Agumbe you hit Someshwar. Its here one road goes to Hebri while the other to Vandse .

Quote:
Also any stay options for Thirthahalli? We would like to do some sightseeing around Thirthahalli.
Only home stays, viz Banaki, Vihangama.
Old 12th March 2014, 03:12   #56
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
-S
Did Sringeri-Kollur last weekend and yes this is the best route as on date. And good roads throughout. Except in the Agumbe ghats, relaying was happening in streches of 2-3 kms, but should be done by the time you travel.

The other option is Agumbe-Sringeri-Balehonnur-Belur-Hassan-Bangalore. Roads are good from Agumbe-Sringeri and this side of Belur. I'm not sure about the Balehonnur stretch though. If that is good, then this will be the fastest as you gain time on the 4 laned NH48.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 04:20   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
The other option is Agumbe-Sringeri-Balehonnur-Belur-Hassan-Bangalore. Roads are good from Agumbe-Sringeri and this side of Belur. I'm not sure about the Balehonnur stretch though. If that is good, then this will be the fastest as you gain time on the 4 laned NH48.
I would still vote for Sringeri-Thirthahalli-Shimoga. Thats a belter of a road. Never realised NH13 was so good in these stretches.
Old 16th March 2014, 12:22   #58
BHPian

I was looking at a shorter route :

Bangalore--> Belur --> Chickmagalur --> Adur -->(Thru bhadra wildlife sancturary) --> Sringeri --> Kollur.

I know that the routes till Chickmagalur are in great shape- however do not know about the state of the road from Chickmagalur to Sringeri via Bhadra wildlife Sanctuary?
Old 16th March 2014, 18:19   #59
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to do Bangalore- kollur this weekend. ...
Quote:
I was looking at a shorter route :
Bangalore--> Belur --> Chickmagalur --> Adur -->(Thru bhadra wildlife sancturary) --> Sringeri --> Kollur.
Not sure if you're already on the road doing this trip now.
We did the following circuit in December 2013, stayed at Tirthahalli and did day trips to Sringeri and Kollur. On the return leg we visited Kalasa and Horanadu temples.

Day 1:Bangalore-Tirthahalli (via Shimoga since we'd been on the Arsikere route few times earlier).
On the Shimoga-Tirthahalli route we visited Gajanur Dam, the Sakrebylu Elephant Camp and reached the homestay by lunch time. We stayed at Kolavara Heritage. In the evening we visited Kupalli (Kuvempu's birth place, museum, etc), caught sunset there.

Day 2:Tirthahalli-Sringeri-visited Sririmane Falls-visited Kundadri Hill, caught sunset here, return toTirthahalli

Day 3:Tirthahalli-Agumbe-Someshwara-Halady-Vandse-Kollur, return to Tirthahalli

Day 4:Tirthahalli-visited Kalaseshwara temple at Kalasa-visited Annapoorneshwari Temple at Horanadu. Returned to Bangalore via Hassan.

*At Tirthahalli, you can also visit Sibbalagudde by the Tunga backwaters.

Last edited by NPV : 16th March 2014 at 18:24.
Old 16th March 2014, 22:40   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think roads are decent, but beyond Chikkamagulur, you would end up taking more time as roads tend to be narrow. Its about 100km from Chikkamagulur.

If you need wide roads, best would be :

Bangalore-Chirtadurga-Shimoga-Thirthajhalli-Sringeri. Absolute belter roads all the way. Some bad sections between Chitradurga and Shimoga.

Google says you can reach Sringeri in 5.5 hours via Hassan. I highly doubt that. You need at least 2 hours form CKM to travel 90-100km to Sringeri (Narrow winding roads). For the rest 250 you need at least 4 to 4.5 hours. (Crossing Hassan and Humps on the Belur road which won't allow speeds).

Most Viewed