Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2014, 23:46   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
I have to go to Byndoor (this weekend). From the last a few pages from Bangalore-Mangalore thread, is Shiradi ghat my best option? Last time (2 yrs) I went through Shimoga - Nagara - Kollur - Byndoor but the road was narrow (sometimes passing a bus is a lot of work) and some patches were bad. This road is shorter than via Mangalore but google map suggests it'll take an hour less because better average speed.
The NH47 stretch north of Kundapur was in terrible condition when i traveled last, and there are no indications that it has improved - recall seeing a report (from a traveller to Goa) a week or so ago saying that conditions are horrendous even now. So alternates like the road via Kollur may be relevant when traveling to byndoor.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 15:49   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The NH47 stretch north of Kundapur was in terrible condition when i traveled last, and there are no indications that it has improved - recall seeing a report (from a traveller to Goa) a week or so ago saying that conditions are horrendous even now. So alternates like the road via Kollur may be relevant when traveling to byndoor.
NH17 around Kundapur is still in a bad shape, all the way till Bhatkal.
Old 8th October 2014, 09:36   #93
BHPian

Update: They are patching the bad sections on NH-17. As on Oct/1, Kundapur to Bhatkal is done. Not in too great a shape like newly laid but all potholes are filled and some sections have even larger patches. I've seen active machinery at Bhatkal, and seems they are progressing well towards further north.

Towards Kollur/Mookambika from Byndoor, the road is mostly good, and in many places they added 2 ft of tar on both sides so that you can comfortably pass oncoming traffic (some places are still single lane). We drove till Anejari Butterfly camp (that place looks very good, someday will make a booking at Kollur range office) ... and seems that Kollur-Kundapur is also in Ok shape.

Last edited by kousik : 8th October 2014 at 09:47.
Old 12th November 2014, 00:30   #94
BHPian

Friends - Planning for my annual Bangalore to Kollur trip during mid December (Around 17th). Can anyone who knows well suggest me if I can try for Kodachadri (trek / jeep) from Kollur / elsewhere. Interested to see the place. Any precaution should I take, Can my mom of 64 also do this kodachadri?

Advise me please. Thanks!
Old 10th February 2015, 13:44   #95

Planning Bangalore > Kollur > Murudeshwar > Udupi > Sringeri > Hornadu > Mysore > Bangalore.. is Kollur via Shimoga the best option?
Old 10th February 2015, 14:11   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzzzzzzzy View Post
Planning Bangalore > Kollur > Murudeshwar > Udupi > Sringeri > Hornadu > Mysore > Bangalore.. is Kollur via Shimoga the best option?
Currently the best option is : Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Someshwar-Vandse-Kollur.

You can also do: Shimoga-Ayannur-Ripponpete-Hosanagar-Nagara-Nittur-Kollur. Good to decent roads all the way.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 13:35   #97

Many Thanks ampere. I will take the Hosanagar route.
Have included Agumbe on my way back from udupi. Which route to take on the way back from Hornadu to Mysore . Any suggestions please!
Old 12th February 2015, 15:36   #98
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have included Agumbe on my way back from udupi. Which route to take on the way back from Hornadu to Mysore . Any suggestions please!
I think Horanadu-Kalasa-Mudigere-Belur-Hassan-Mysore will be a good bet but there was a 10 odd Km rough stretch between Horanadu-Kalasa when I traveled last year, not sure how it is now.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 16:37   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Many Thanks ampere. I will take the Hosanagar route.
Stick to what NPV said. Hornadu-Kottigehara-Mudigere-Belur-Hasan-Holenarasipur-Mysore
Old 12th February 2015, 23:21   #100
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
there was a 10 odd Km rough stretch between Horanadu-Kalasa when I traveled last year, not sure how it is now.
Sorry, typo in earlier post - the bad stretch was between Kalasa and Kottigehara somewhere near Javali.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 15:09   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You can also do: Shimoga-Ayannur-Ripponpete-Hosanagar-Nagara-Nittur-Kollur. Good to decent roads all the way.
I thought the Nagara-Nittur-Kollur road was only partially repaired ? (some concreting in the ghat section). Is there any confirmation that the work is complete now ? If so this would be the shorter route compared to going via Thirthahalli-Agumbe or via Mudigere-Kalasa. (and probably the shortest route between Bangalore and Kollur)
Old 13th February 2015, 15:43   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I thought the Nagara-Nittur-Kollur road was only partially repaired ? (some concreting in the ghat section). Is there any confirmation that the work is complete now ? If so this would be the shorter route compared to going via Thirthahalli-Agumbe or via Mudigere-Kalasa. (and probably the shortest route between Bangalore and Kollur)
Till Nittur its fantatsic. Dont go via Hulikal from Nagara but via Nittur. No cofirmation on the last section 15-20km from Nittur. I think its decent.

PS: Roads are getting re-laid the Hulikal ghat side. That Nagar-Sampakatte-Ampar section.

Last edited by ampere : 13th February 2015 at 15:51.
Old 13th February 2015, 17:38   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Till Nittur its fantatsic. Dont go via Hulikal from Nagara but via Nittur. No cofirmation on the last section 15-20km from Nittur. I think its decent.

PS: Roads are getting re-laid the Hulikal ghat side. That Nagar-Sampakatte-Ampar section.
Yes - I was referring to the same - i.e taking a right turn just after the Nagara fort and reaching Kollur from the Kodachadri side. That was the road I used to take regularly till about 4-5 years ago after which roads on the Kollur-Nagara section became absolutely intolerable. If the roads are done up now, it is a lovely drive (And the traffic used to be very low as well in those days).
Old 13th February 2015, 18:54   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If the roads are done up now, it is a lovely drive (And the traffic used to be very low as well in those days).
We were there during year end. Ayannur-Ripponpete-Hosanagara-Nagar-Nittur: Absolutely fantastic roads! We just went till Nittur for Kodachadri. Hence I could not check the condition beyond. But till then its a black top! But the way it was completed I thought they should have done it beyond as well.

Also the Nagar-Ampar ghat road was being relaid. Very soon that would also be good. Hence addition to options for Kundapur. Here is one for you.

Ayyanur-Ripponpete-Hosanagara road
But yes no facilities.

Open the image separately. Else it tends to get sharpened within the post.

Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries-img_3197_lr.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 13th February 2015 at 18:56.
Old 13th February 2015, 22:55   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think Horanadu-Kalasa-Mudigere-Belur-Hassan-Mysore will be a good bet but there was a 10 odd Km rough stretch between Horanadu-Kalasa when I traveled last year, not sure how it is now.
Roads are good now. Kottigehara-Kalasa has been patched up. Completed a trip last week with friends on the route from Blore to Samsay and also visted Horanadu.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks