Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2015, 10:17   #121
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

One of my friend is planning to visit Kollur Mookambika temple next week and he will be travelling with his family with a 5yr kid. Long time back I had gone via Udupi from Puttur, but I am not aware about the route options from Bangalore. Google says me to take Shimogga-Hosanagar route. But experienced folks
please suggest me on
* Which route do you suggest.
* Any decent food options with decent rest rooms available in the stretch.
* Possible duration of the stretch.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 12th June 2015 at 10:25.
Old 12th June 2015, 10:26   #122
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
One of my friend is planning to visit Kollur Mookambika temple next week and he will be travelling with his family with a 5yr kid. Long time back I had gone via Udupi from Puttur, but I am not aware about the route options from Bangalore. Google says me to take Shimogga-Sagara route. But experienced folks
please suggest me on
One option is via Shimoga-Ayanur-Ripponpet-Nagara-Nittur - see this

Alternative (longer) route can be Shimoga-Tirthahalli-Agumbe-Someshwara-Halady-Vandse-Kollur - again great roads.

For Bangalore-Shimoga, there seems to be some widening work near Bhadravathi/Channagiri so avoid the Chitradurga route and stick to Bangalore-Tumkur-Arsikere-Shimoga on NH206, good roads, start early.

You can stop for breakfast at Matha Sagar, Kibbanahalli cross or Coffee Day at Arsikere.

At Kollur, Mookambika Palace is quite new and decent, owned by the Vasudev Adiga group, also have a restaurant in the ground floor.

This is very close, walking distance to the temple.

I've also seen recommendations for Abimon Residency which is also close to the temple near the Bus stand.

Last edited by NPV : 12th June 2015 at 10:28.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 11:33   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
* Which route do you suggest.
* Any decent food options with decent rest rooms available in the stretch.
* Possible duration of the stretch.
To add to NPV:

- Use Bangalore-Nelamangala-Channarayapatna-Arsikere instead of Bangalore-Tumkur-Arsikere.
- You can break for food at Swathi or Mayura or Coffee Day on the 4-lane before Chanarayapatna.
- Now Post Arsikere you have two options:
- Bhadra-Mandagadde-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Someshwar-Vandse-Kollur
- Bhadra-Shimoga-Ayyanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagara-Nagara-Nittur-Kollur

- The second option is very good but rarely has traffic. Would not recommend this for a night drive.
- I doubt if you would get any decent place for lunch beyond Shimoga/Thirthahalli on both the routes.
- Plan to be in Kollur for a late lunch. Hence starting early would really help.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 11:43   #124
BHPian

I went last year on the route below with my Honda City:
Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Someshwar-Vandse-Kollur

The roads were good for most part and I didn't have any issues.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 12:29   #125
BHPian

Thanks folks!

I passed on your inputs and I too recommended him to take route Via Shimoga-Ayanur-Ripponpet-Nagara-Nittur.
Old 14th July 2015, 14:36   #126
BHPian

Folks, what is the present condition of road from Nittur to Baindoor ?
Old 14th July 2015, 14:40   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Nittur-Kollur-Vandse is quite decent as per what I know last. Vandse-Hemmandi was patched up. But don't know, how is it today.
Old 14th July 2015, 22:44   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
What I heard from my in-laws is it’s raining very heavily in this area and roads are in drivable condition but be very cautious that fallen trees at the ghat as the traffic on this road is very less.
Old 17th July 2015, 00:17   #129
BHPian

Went Kollur via Jog falls (Bangalore- tumkur- Sira- Chitradurga- Davanegere- Siddapura, approximately 6 or 7 tolls we paid) from Bangalore last week. Started at 3.30AM from Bangalore and visited Jog falls and left the place by 12PM and then went to Kollur via Linganamakki ferry road post having lunch from a restaurant @ Sagar. The road before the ferry area is very deserted and there are chances to see fallen trees across the road. The river crossing on ferry is an amazing experience and the ferry is a comparatively large one to hold TTs, some 6-8 cars few bikes, and very few LCVs. The road from the ferry will lead near to Nittur in Nagara- Kollur road. Had booked a room in Beena residency @ Kollur (best accommodation you can get @Kollur just adjacent to Mookambika temple). Parked our car there got freshened up and then went near temple to get a jeep towards Kodachadri exactly at 3.30PM. Reached Kodachadri by 5PM after an adventurous drive up hill in a non 4x4 mahindra CL500.. Should give a big hand to the driver who made us to reach the top. Unfortunately once we reached the top it was raining very heavily and fog at it extreme which resulted in cancelling our hiking uphill towards the peak. Had to start our downhill journey by 6.15PM and then again should tell that drive was again amazing till we reach the mn road. Reached Kollur town by 8PM. Had dinner and then visited the temple post reaching the hotel.
The next morning 8AM we started our return journey and reached Bangalore by 4 in the evening (via Shimoga- Bhadravati- Arsikere- Tiptur- Tumkur- Bangalore) no-toll road till Tumkur from Shimoga.
Bibin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 09:28   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
Went Kollur via Jog falls (Bangalore- tumkur- Sira- Chitradurga- Davanegere- Siddapura, approximately 6 or 7 tolls we paid) from Bangalore last week.
How was the road condition from Davanagere to jog via Siddapura? Is it a good alternative to the regular route via arsikere-Shimoga-sagar-Jog?

Last edited by Landkruzer : 17th July 2015 at 09:29. Reason: corrected typo
Old 17th July 2015, 10:39   #131
BHPian

Hi,

Davanegere to Siddapura road is not that good in its initial stretches for around 10-15kms. But if you have a descent sedan or SUV you can easily negotiate the potholes and the patches on road. Entire road is single lane and not at all crowded anywhere except at few main village centres and junctions
Bibin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 07:23   #132
BHPian

Post the monsoons, the best road to Kollur is this one

Bangalore - Tumkur Bypass - Shimoga - Agumbe - Vandse - Kollur(Excellent road throughout). Note that this isn't the shortest route from Bangalore to Kollur but thanks to the road condition, this is definitely a preferred one.
hallik9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 11:10   #133
BHPian

Hello Folks, I just finished my trip from Bangalore to Byndoor and Murudeshwar. I took the Bangalore-Nelmangla-CrPatna-Ariskere-Shimoga-Ayanur-Hosanagar-Nagara-Nittur-Kollur-Byndoor-Bhatkal-Murudeshwar route. I had NHC Zx at my disposal. It was a good drive overall.
Bangalore-Ariskere - Dream to drive ( not much traffic and excellent roads)
Ariskere-Shimoga-Ayanur ( NH206) - Varies from excellent to average to bad. But overall driveable.
Ayanur-Hosanagar - Good narrow winding roads.
Hosanagar-Nagara- Narrow winding roads which are patchy and has deep potholes due to monsoons (drive carefully)
Nagara-Nittur - Excellent winding roads
Nittur - Kollur - No potholes but very narrow winding road. Absence of any road shoulders. It has a substantial Ghat section which has been concreted due to very heavy rains in the region. It's perfectly OK to drive but be careful. Expect fog and broken down trees and bushes along with those maniac bus drivers who gives a hoot to the lane discipline on blind curves on narrow ghat roads.
Kollur - Byndoor - excellent road. In fact the blackest tarmac you will see on the whole trip.
Byndoor -Bhatkal - Horror. Lots of suspension breakers on this stretch of NH17.
Bhatkal - Murudeshwar - Excellent section on NH17 and beautiful too.

I followed the same route for return. Its doable but be careful on winding roads.
Trivia - For the first time in my life I saw the same train at two railway crossings. Once at Arasalu on SH52 and the same train on the same road 5-10kms ahead at another small crossing. Interestingly the train takes a longer detour to reach the same place.

Last edited by adi_gt : 29th July 2015 at 11:12.
Old 6th August 2015, 00:24   #134
BHPian

Hi fellow bhpians, we are planning a trip to Byndoor (sai vishram beach resort) this weekend. We will be using our new Octavia for the trip. There will be 3 adults, a toddler (1.5 months) and our dog. Comfort is of utmost priority because of our toddler and our dog. So potholed roads and too many winding roads are a no-no. Based on these, which route would you recommend for reaching Byndoor from Bangalore?
Old 6th August 2015, 06:45   #135
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakv6 View Post
Hi fellow bhpians, we are planning a trip to Byndoor (sai vishram beach resort) this weekend. We will be using our new Octavia for the trip. There will be 3 adults, a toddler (1.5 months) and our dog. Comfort is of utmost priority because of our toddler and our dog. So potholed roads and too many winding roads are a no-no. Based on these, which route would you recommend for reaching Byndoor from Bangalore?
As you can see in previous post by @adi_gt, you can do Bangalore-Nelamangla-CR Patna-Ariskere-Shimoga-Ayanur-Hosanagar-Nagara-Nittur-Kollur-Byndoor. Excellent roads mostly.
If Kollur is not on your itinerary, then you can also do:
Bangalore-Nelamangla-CR Patna-Ariskere-Shimoga-Tirthahalli-Agumbe-Someshwara-Vandse-Kollur-Byndoor (the left turn to Byndoor is just a couple of kilometers before you hit Kollur town). Roads are excellent. This route is scenic and you can visit the Gajanur Dam, Sakrebyle elephant camp and Mandagadde bird sanctuary en route between Shimoga and Tirthahalli.

*Both routes have ghat roads, not sure if that is of concern with the child and dog on board.

Last edited by NPV : 6th August 2015 at 06:47.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks