Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2018, 18:20   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Bangalore-Chitradurga-Channagiri-Holehonnur-Shimoga
Midway through the Chennagiri-Shimoga route lies Koodli, on the banks of rivers Tunga and Bhadra (they merge to become Tungabhadra here). Worth sparing half an hour and paying a visit to the rivers, ancient temples and mutts situated there.
dailydriver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 21:38   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I have been reading news about heavy rains and water logging towards these areas... anything to avoid/watch out for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Landslides will be rare but tree falls are quite common on this road. However, you will be alerted about this as you pass through these sections and can always take any alternate (Longer) route too if you get caught anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Regarding your concerns about water logging/disruption, rest assured that there is absolutely no problem as of now. An occasional tree does fall across the road but it is cleared off swiftly.
I think we spoke a bit too early. Apart from the Charmadi Ghat mishap, a minor landslide has occurred near Jayapura at Vertekal Mahaganapati Temple. Nothing serious though, not enough to disrupt the traffic at least.

https://goo.gl/maps/7Q4Cty3BVs32

Still, it would be wise to call the homestay before you leave and ascertain the road conditions in and around the place and then decide the route. The weather seems to be exceedingly dynamic these days.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 09:19   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If one has two nights to spare, another nicer option is to stay at Manipal. You have Fortune Inn
We are planning to drive to Kollur from Bangalore on 7th July. Two cars (Vento & Ciaz) four adults and 2 year old kid.
Please advise on the best route to take during this time of the year since I heard there are broken stretches with few options (ghats) due to the monsoon.

Also need suggestion on hotels at Kollur since we have to be in temple on 8th July by 6:15 AM so can't afford to stay in Udupi / Mangalore. Or if we have to reach temple by 6 AM from Udupi, what time we have to start and how feasible will that be?

Alos two others are coming by train from Thrissur directly, so which is the closest railway station to alight after Mangalore?

Thank you in advance.
Cheers
Old 29th June 2018, 09:33   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
broken stretches with few options (ghats) due to the monsoon.
Hiriyur - Ajjampur - Tirthahalli - Agumbe would still be your best bet. You still have a week, which should be sufficient time for the road to be fixed. If not, then Nagara - Hulikal would be the other option apart from Kudremukh route. Also check the manglore thread - Shiradi is supposed to be open by 5th July (I think).

Quote:
hotels at Kollur since we have to be in temple on 8th July by 6:15 AM so can't afford to stay in Udupi / Mangalore.
Do check the last few pages. Reviews and recommendations have been shared.

Quote:
Or if we have to reach temple by 6 AM from Udupi
You should budget for ~1.5 hours of travel time. If 6 am if fixed time, then would suggest you stay in Kollur.

Quote:
so which is the closest railway station to alight after Mangalore?
Mookambika road bear baindoor. Not sure if all trains shop here though.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 11:28   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Hiriyur - Ajjampur - Tirthahalli - Agumbe would still be your best bet. You still have a week, which should be sufficient time for the road to be fixed. If not, then Nagara - Hulikal would be the other option apart from Kudremukh route. Also check the manglore thread - Shiradi is supposed to be open by 5th July (I think).
But then why is Google still suggesting Chitradurga ~ Devanagare ~ Haranahalli ~ Hosanagar?

Also can someone confirm whether Shiradi will be opened on 5th?
And if it does will that be of any help for Kollur?

Also what are the options for food in all these suggested routes or which is the preferred route with food options.

Quote:
Do check the last few pages. Reviews and recommendations have been shared.
Booked Mahalakshmi Residency based on recent suggestions

Quote:
Mookambika road bear baindoor. Not sure if all trains shop here though.
Booked train tickets for other two from Thrissur and reaching Baindoor around 5 PM, will they be able to get taxi (if not bus) to reach Kollur?

Cheers
Old 3rd July 2018, 12:45   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
But then why is Google still suggesting Chitradurga ~ Devanagare ~ Haranahalli ~ Hosanagar?
That is probably because folks might have marked Agumbe as closed where as it is closed only at night for road work. OR it could also be because its the shortest distance vis a vis Agumbe.

Quote:
Also can someone confirm whether Shiradi will be opened on 5th?
Wont be open based on latest updates on Mangalore/udupi thread.

Quote:
Also what are the options for food in all these suggested routes or which is the preferred route with food options.
Food options on Hiriyur - Ajjampur - Agumbe route are
  • BLR - Hiriyur: Lots of options before/around Tumkur(check BLR - mumbai/pune thread), kamat @ Sira, CCD after Sira,
  • Hiriyur - Ajjampur - Tarikere: Nothing here but can stop at this fuel bunk for a loo break - https://goo.gl/maps/o5wjCajibY92
  • Tarikere - Agumbe: Not much unless you go into Shivamogga - good veg food at Sri Meenakshi Bhavan
  • Just After Agumbe ghats: Mayur @ Someshwara https://goo.gl/maps/TrgXPNn7MZp
  • Agumbe - Kollur: Not many pit sitop options apart from a few large HP/IOCL petrol pumps around Goliangady for a loo break
Quote:
will they be able to get taxi (if not bus) to reach Kollur?
Not sure. Would be better off if you can contact local travel agents and reserve in advance.

My 2 cents: start early, stop for breakfast at Shivamogga (can easily do BLR - Shivamogga in ~4 hrs) and then stop again at Mayur post agumbe and then head straight to Kollur.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 12:35   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Thank you Centaur , Gadadhar and Ampere. My trip is getting delayed and I might go there only towards this month end. I might probably go with the Manipal option recommended by Amp
All, i wanted to thank all those who provided many suggestions and reco's here on the routes.

My wife, son and I finally did this trip two weekends ago. Left home at 4 am, NICE road at 4.15 AM, and we were doing good time on the roads once we took the left at Nelamangala. Onward route was as follows :

Nice Road - Nelamangala - Hassan - Kadur - Shimoga - Thirthahalli - Agumbe - Udupi - Kollur - Sharavathi ( Night halt )

Roads were super fabulous. The drive from Tirthahalli to Udupi via Augmbe and Manipal was such a joy The heavens had opened out and hadn't stopped for 7-8 hours.

Return :
Sharavathi - Jog Falls ( we reached Jog at 7 am ) - Sagar - Honnali - Davangere - Nelamangala - Home

Again, very good roads, except for some few narrow and bad stretches around Honnali.

Overall, it was such a beautiful monsoon drive and the mix of Pleasure + Temples was awesome.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 13:48   #278
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nice Road - Nelamangala - Hassan - Kadur - Shimoga - Thirthahalli - Agumbe - Udupi - Kollur - Sharavathi ( Night halt )

Roads were super fabulous.
Thanks for the update.

Is this the route you took for Hassan-Shimoga ? Link

If yes, then from your update SH 21 between Hassan-Halebeedu and NH 73 between Halebeedu-Banavara are in great condition, correct ? Followed by NH 206 to Shimoga which is also in good condition ?

Last edited by NPV : 27th July 2018 at 13:49.
Old 27th July 2018, 14:57   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SH 21 between Hassan-Halebeedu and NH 73 between Halebeedu-Banavara are in great condition, correct?
Once you cross the potholled stretches that extend up to MCF, the rest of the way till Banavara is a breeze. Smooth tarmac coupled with lonely reserve forest stretches and many ups-downs, twiss-turns make it an interesting road to drive on. As it passes through many villages, one needs to be consciously aware of pedestrians and specially kids. Unlike the regular highways, the density of vehicles is less and hence locals are a bit care free.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 01:07   #280
Senior - BHPian

That's exactly the route that I took NPV. Such scenic and fab routes with really good roads. Daily driver is spot on with the road conditions. 👍🏻
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 15:05   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update.
Quote:
That's exactly the route that I took NPV.
The proverbial flies in the ointment while taking this road are the numerous drunken two wheeler riders, primarily commuting to and from the regular sacrificial feasts held at the Puradamma Temple. Even a minor push can escalate into a free for all tamasha in no time. So, treading carefully is the name of the game here.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th August 2018 at 07:17. Reason: Simplyfing
Old 17th December 2018, 08:13   #282

Quote:
Option 2: Bengaluru - Tumakuru - SIra - Chitradurga - Channagiri - Shivamogga - Ripponpete - Hosanagara - Nagara - Hulikal ghat - Kollur
Travelled to Kollur last week and took option 2. Toll road until Chitradurga post which well maintained state highways welcomed us. As pointed out previously not many options to eat after Shivamogga. Roads on Hulikal Ghat is quite narrow. Highly recommend this route as this is the fastest route.

Returned via Mangalore, Shiradi Ghat, Hassan. Tiring route due to high traffic and lot of ongoing construction. On the bright side Shiradi Ghat seemed to be in good condition, roads are being expanded, mostly the tolled roads will be extended until Mangalore.

Last edited by ampere : 17th December 2018 at 08:21. Reason: fixed quote tags
Gausum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 13:01   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gausum View Post

Returned via Mangalore, Shiradi Ghat, Hassan.
Mangalore route adds 50+ Kms and another hour to the trip. So unless there are other reasons, I think this route is better avoided for Bangalore Kollur.
Old 7th January 2019, 16:19   #284
BHPian

How are the road conditions between
1) Murudeswar to Mookambika
2) Mookambika to Agumbe
3) Agumbe to Udupi?

I wanted to know in terms of road condition, driving in current season and the safety while driving with just my wife along with me.
Old 1st February 2019, 12:16   #285
Senior - BHPian

I am planning a weekend trip to Mookambika. We plan to make an early morning start of around 4 am from JP Nagar, take the Tumkur, Hiriyur, Shivamoga route and reach by noon 12ish and start back by around 11 am on Sunday.

We would like to include trip to Kudajadiri (heard it takes 3.5 to 4 hours) , but not sure what is the best time to fit this into the overall plan.

Looking for inputs on planning the itinerary and reference of Jeep folks who can ferry us to Kudajadiri. We will be 2 families with 3 boys aged 12 & 16 and plan to hire one jeep.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks