Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2010, 18:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyguru View Post
Guys, any route updates for Chennai - Kumbakonam.
To my knowledge, the Anaikarai bridge is weak so still it is closed for heavy vehicles, so all buses are taking the longer route via Chidambaram, Sirgazhi, Mayiladuthurai route to reach kumbakonam from Madras. But I guess cars can still go via sethiathoppu route, but i am not very sure though!

-Ravi
Old 20th September 2010, 19:31   #17
BHPian

I actually went for the trip , as you said the bridge is weak, but lets cars. I did go through sethiathoppu., pretty decent route.
Old 21st September 2010, 09:48   #18
BHPian

Ravi,

Thats very good info. Thanks for sharing. Will be helpful for many like me.

Regards,
Venkatesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Ooops, somehow i missed this thread! I just returned back from kumbakonam this morning. Its my ancestral town, so i visit there frequently and can help a bit.

About hotel Rayas: I would say its one of the good hotels you can stay in Kumbakonam. Its just right near to the famous Mahamaham tank. The other alternative is Hotel Aditya which is decent enough.

Prioritizing the temples in Kumbakonam to see in 1 day? Wow, thats really a very difficult thing to do, just because of the number of temples in and around and that too huge in size.

If you are planning for 1 day trip, then these are few recommendations from me. I have tried to list them which are closeby in same direction. At the most, you can see these temples in a day if you start very early in the morning that too with little or no breaks.

Ofcourse, you can see most of the temples only from morning 6 am to 12 noon and then from 4/4:30 pm till evening 9 pm.

Temples Towards Mayiladuthurai/Karikal side:
1) Oppiliappan Koil and Raghusthalam in Thirunageswaram.
2) Ayyavadi ( just 2 kms from Oppliappan koil)
3) Nachiar Koil (further 4 or 5 kms from ayyavadi - Don't miss the famous KalGarudar deity)
4) Suryanar Koil (Sun Temple), Kanjanur (Venus temple)
5) Thiruveesanallur sivan temple
6) Thirubuvanam Sarabeswarar temple
7) Thiruvidaimaruthur Mahalingaswamy temple

OR
Temples towards Thanjavur side
1) Darasuram Airavatheeswarar temple
2) Patteswaram Durgai Temple
3) Swamimalai Murugan temple
4) Papanasam sivan temple
5) Thirukarugavur Karparatchagambigai temple
6) Thanjavur Brahadeeswarar temple
7) Thiruvaiyaru sivan temple
8) Thingalur Moon Temple

Most of the temples are in small villages, so i suggest you plan for food/lunch in some bigger towns.

-Ravi
Old 21st September 2010, 16:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyguru View Post
I actually went for the trip , as you said the bridge is weak, but lets cars. I did go through sethiathoppu., pretty decent route.
Funnyguru,

so were u able to find/locate the Mami's mess? I haven't heard of that. Where is it located?

BTW, just curious, which are the temples u were able to cover during your stay?

-Ravi
Old 21st September 2010, 17:42   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Funnyguru,

so were u able to find/locate the Mami's mess? I haven't heard of that. Where is it located?

BTW, just curious, which are the temples u were able to cover during your stay?

-Ravi

Yes I did find the Mami's mess , but as I went with the family dint find it welcoming. Also it was in a traffic prone area and no parking space. I stayed at Hotel Rayas, so its the parallel road to Rayas and then a right .

I visited Thirunageswara temple and also the snake miracle temple which is 3 kms from the Thirunageswarar temple. (forgot the name).

Visited Swamimalai, Patteswarar temple (It was really scary at night, had to cross a railway crossing and then it was pitch dark for almost 4 -5 kms.)

Garbarakshambigai temple, Papanasam, were the others I covered. All this in 24 hrs time.

Most temples were not crowded at all, maybe it was not the season , so got good darshan. Also the pujari of the Snake miracle temple (Sathish)gave a brief about how the miracle happened and from where the snake had come from to do the puja..

Actually was collating all the pics to write a detailed trip report, anyways hope this helps.
Old 21st September 2010, 23:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the update funnyguru.

Usually most of the temples will not be heavily crowded, except for the popular ones. Moreover, this is quarterly exam season and dasara is just around the corner. so crowd will be less now and can expect more in next couple of weeks, once the holiday season starts.

-Ravi
Old 22nd September 2010, 14:59   #22
BHPian

I feel its worth visiting these temples during this time than during the rush . We used the special entrance at all temples and were able to save time, thus visited more temples than usual.
Old 23rd September 2010, 15:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Yep, thats a good way to cover more temples using special entrance tickets. Me and my friends do the same whenever we go.

Update us with some pics which you collected.
Since i moved to bangalore many years ago, i haven't travelled from Madras to kumbakonam in recent times by road. Am looking forward to see some pics, if you have any good ones.

-Ravi
Old 18th April 2011, 15:53   #24
BHPian

Re: Chennai to Thirunageswaram temple - Route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP143 View Post
Chennai - Tindivanam - Vikravandi - Sethiathope - Anaikarai - Kumbakonam - Tirunageswaram route
Visited Thirunageswaram during the gone weekend. The route mentioned in bold is all in Trichy highway until Sethiathope. In fact there is a big signboard that directs to Kumbakonam after crossing Sethiathope. Unfortunately, I took a detour in Dindigul only to come to back Trichy highway again. Again, took a detour in vikravandi. Never knowing that I've to be in Trichy highway till Sethiathope made me do all this. So guys, be aware of this info.

The roads from Sethiathope to Panruti were full of pot holes.

I came across 2 bridges while passing Anaikarai. The first one, can allow a single lane traffic at a time, so had to wait for some time(15mins) till the oncoming traffic stopped and our side was allowed. The second bridge is under construction, so had to drive over the river bed. Again, there was a lot of chaos and it could only get worse during rainy days.

While coming back, took the Karaikaal - Sirkazhi - Chidambaram - Cuddalore - Pondy route. Seems a lot of new roads have been constructed to bypass these towns that come inbetween. But unfortunately the sign boards were not clear enough, so had to go through these towns. The entire stretch has some useless sign boards and in lot of places there was no signboard at all. The roads were Ok though. Avoid driving in this route in night. With all blaring head lights and narrow curvy roads, it's really not worth the effort. Unfortunately, had to drive in this route twice during night.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 18th April 2011 at 15:58.

Most Viewed