Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2010, 14:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I believe there is a road form Annur to NH47 from where we can join the CBE bye-pass towards Palakkad. Didnt you try that?
Yes, vasoo, you are right. At Annur, take a left turn and that will join NH47 at Avinashi. From Avinashi, you can drive towards Coimbatore and take the Coimbatore bypass, saving you the trouble of navigating the city. Tis is a slightly longer route, but may be quicker, especially during the day time.
Old 1st April 2010, 00:45   #17
BHPian

I was aware of that route through Avinashi - but, thought that the city traffic would be less during late night. Also wanted to drive through city.
Old 1st April 2010, 15:06   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
I was aware of that route through Avinashi - but, thought that the city traffic would be less during late night. Also wanted to drive through city.
Is there no bypass which takes one to Palakkad from the western side of CBE? Annur is on the Eastern side.
Old 1st April 2010, 22:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is there no bypass which takes one to Palakkad from the western side of CBE? Annur is on the Eastern side.
The only bypass Coimbatore has is the 27 km long L&T bypass, which starts 28 kms after Avinashi, and ends at Madukarai, 13 kms before the Kerala border.
Old 2nd April 2010, 07:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, vasoo, you are right. At Annur, take a left turn and that will join NH47 at Avinashi. From Avinashi, you can drive towards Coimbatore and take the Coimbatore bypass, saving you the trouble of navigating the city. Tis is a slightly longer route, but may be quicker, especially during the day time.
From Annur, take the left which goes to Avinashi and within 1 km (?) , there is another right which goes to Karumathampatti. I returned to bangalore yesterday through this road. Excellent road, very less traffic and you reach Nh47 (about 10 kms before the LT toll road). This is much better option if you want to avoid the Avinashi - Cbe NH47 traffic
Old 2nd April 2010, 09:17   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The only bypass Coimbatore has is the 27 km long L&T bypass, which starts 28 kms after Avinashi, and ends at Madukarai, 13 kms before the Kerala border.
Why I asked that question is because by doing this we do almost a full circle of CBE. Agreed it may not take that much time, I just wondered if there is something which does it the other way.
Old 2nd April 2010, 09:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why I asked that question is because by doing this we do almost a full circle of CBE. Agreed it may not take that much time, I just wondered if there is something which does it the other way.
Yes, there is a western corridor, but that is not a single road.
You can start from Avinashi, and come via Annur to Mettupalayam, go to Perianaickenpalayam, connect to Thadakam/Mankarai, and come via Perur to Ukkadam. You can even connect from Perur to KOvaiputhur and join NH47 directly near Madukarai.

But these are local roads connecting different localities in Coimbatore (and teh villages around) and not meant for a passer-by motorist.
Old 2nd April 2010, 09:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are going towards Palakkad from Avinashi, the L&T bye-pass will be shorter than going through the North of CBE. Palakkad route goes almost South-West of CBE so the round distance is less in that direction.
Old 2nd April 2010, 09:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, there is a western corridor, but that is not a single road.
You can start from Avinashi, and come via Annur to Mettupalayam, go to Perianaickenpalayam, connect to Thadakam/Mankarai, and come via Perur to Ukkadam. You can even connect from Perur to KOvaiputhur and join NH47 directly near Madukarai.

But these are local roads connecting different localities in Coimbatore (and teh villages around) and not meant for a passer-by motorist.
Yes. Another option to enter Kerala will be to go through Siruvani Dam route towards Mannarkad. You can then go south towards Cherplassery or Ottapalam.
Old 5th May 2014, 14:22   #25
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kanakpura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Sathi : Route Queries

I did this route from Bangalore to Coimbatore and back. Best route so far for me. Dairy Circle to Hope College (2 km from Coimbatore airport jn) came as 307 km on my odo. Road is good all throughout now. A very relaxed drive took just about 6 hours including breaks (such as temple, buy some village stuff or food, etc.) A non-stop drive should take 5 hours safely.

Literally no traffic - that is what made the drive so relaxed in spite of road being narrow. Beautiful and scenic drive, not like Salem highway. Both onward and return journey gave me a mileage of 19 kmpl - good considering the curves on this route and a ghat section too. It saved me so much of toll :-)

[Edit:] Onward journey was done at 6:20 AM till 12:20 PM while return was done at 5:30 PM till 11:30 PM parking to parking.

Last edited by opendro : 5th May 2014 at 14:23.
Old 18th June 2014, 04:22   #26
BHPian

Bangalore - Kankapura road to become four lane.

Check the below link for the complete story

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/36688531.cms

Quote:
Kanakapura road was among the few roads motorists preferred to avoid because of its numerous curves, turning it into a death trap.

Soon, this national highway No. 209 will become a four-lane road, making driving a hassle-free experience for those heading towards Mysore and beyond.

Addressing an interaction organized by FKCCI in Bangalore on Monday, PWD minister H C Mahadevappa said the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) will soon begin the road-widening work. NH 209 starts from Dewan Madhav Rao Road in Basavanagudi and touches Vedasandur near Dindigul, Tamil Nadu.

While the stretch from Nice junction to Kanakapura will be a four-lane road, the Kanakapura-Tamil Nadu border (near Chamarajnagar) stretch will be developed into a two-lane road, the minister said.
JoseVijay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 08:06   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Bangalore - Kankapura road to become four lane.

Check the below link for the complete story

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/36688531.cms
Thankfully the 4-lane is only till Kanakpura town. Kanakpura to Dimbam is all about a good 2-lane. A big sigh of relief!
Old 15th January 2015, 16:45   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
I did this route from Bangalore to Coimbatore and back. Best route so far for me.
Any information on the Germalam deviation?
Planing to do the Coimbatore - Sathyamangalam - Germalam - Kollegal - Malavalli - Kanakpura - Bangalore?

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 15th January 2015, 18:35   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Avoid if towards evening. The section can get deserted .. hence not much help if you happen to need it. Roads are not very wide, and you can expect elephants.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 19:12   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne View Post
Planing to do the Coimbatore - Sathyamangalam - Germalam - Kollegal - Malavalli - Kanakpura - Bangalore?
Hope you are aware of the bridge closure between Kollegal and Malavalli.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed