Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2017, 18:32   #46
BHPian

Re: Bypassing Pune on Bangalore-Shirdi route

Status quo for crossing Pune city enroute Shirdi coming from Bangalore side. Stick to Sinhagad road exit from NH4 as the initial part of Satara road near Katraj has been taken up for construction of "concrete" road leading to traffic bottlenecks. Re-asphalting of old Katraj ghat is yet incomplete. Sinhagad-Swargate-Magarpatta-Chandan nagar remains the standard route to go through the city.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 18:38   #47
BHPian

Hello, has any one been on this route recently?

Satara > Wathar > Lonand > Nira > Morgaon > Supe > Kedagaon > Nhavare > Shirur

I would like to hear feedback on the condition of this stretch. Is it in the same condition as Parag had experienced in Mar-17?

Thanks.
Old 13th December 2017, 18:44   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka View Post
Hello, has any one been on this route recently?

Satara > Wathar > Lonand > Nira > Morgaon > Supe > Kedagaon > Nhavare > Shirur

I would like to hear feedback on the condition of this stretch. Is it in the same condition as Parag had experienced in Mar-17?

Thanks.
Yes, BHPian VDi took this route about a week back and he was driving solo. I had told him that it may be bad as the report from my friend too said the same.

Since he was driving alone, he experimented it it and reported back with the following details :

Good till Lonand and beyond that mix of good and Bad and overall 60% bad.

Also, remember that its December. Considering its Sugarcane season, better to stick to Pune route than this bypass.

I am driving only after 23rd and will still take the same route via Lonand (used to bad roads), and report back but I guess that will be late for many.

So better sense is to take the regular route as of now.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 21:28   #49
BHPian

In my opinion it is better to stick via Pune. You can leave the NH4 (Katraj-Dehuroad bypass) at Sinhagad road, travel towards Deccan-Shivajinagar-Sangamwadi-Yerwada and join the Ahmednagar road.
I agree it's quite a rush till Wagholi. Although you can plan to do this stretch early morning, mid afternoon or late evening.
Old 14th December 2017, 11:55   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by distiller View Post
In my opinion it is better to stick via Pune. You can leave the NH4 (Katraj-Dehuroad bypass) at Sinhagad road, travel towards Deccan-Shivajinagar-Sangamwadi-Yerwada and join the Ahmednagar road.
I agree it's quite a rush till Wagholi. Although you can plan to do this stretch early morning, mid afternoon or late evening.
In fact, Sinhaghad Road - Swargate - Shankarsheth Road - Hadapsar - Kharadi Bypass works too and that has been my standard road to bypass Pune and prior to peak hours, it takes 1 hour or almost similar to bypass till Wagholi and in some thread I had also posted the log on the time taken.

On Bypassing Pune through Satara route, it makes senses based on various factors and one of the most important one is the present road condition which 2 known folks to me have reported it to be bad. So we can safely conclude this would be bad.

Secondly, this bypass may not work for all due to various reasons that I already pointed out earlier here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Disadvantages of this detour:
  • The detour is single lane for ~140 Kms - This means when you are on your onward leg from Bangalore, driving 140 kms after cruising effortlessly till Satara on the GQ will be either test for your patience or your fatique levels

• There are multiple small towns & villages to pass and none of them are time consuming except the bigger town of Lonand that might eat around 15-20 minutes to cross during peak morning or evening hours - You have chances to get stuck behind a truck who is in turn waiting for that tractor to cross the town entirely (Happened with me)

• Since there are a lot of trucks who take this route, you need to have lot of energy reserved to tackle this stretch and overtake them, at times, 4 to 5 trucks at a time based on the merit of roads but each one will allow you to be overtaken

• This detour is not recommended to be taken beyond 7PM. There are many isolated stretches on this route where you won't even find any settlement, forget Hotels or Fuel stations

• Very basic facilities all along this route except typical Family Restaurants. Each one you enter should be after spotting some family crowd. Nearest good ones are as soon as you join Shirur and spend another 20 minutes to reach Smilestone

• Lack of fuel stations (reliable) and the fact that they exists only around these towns makes it a well planned affair (Range of at least 200 kms) before you get off National Highway from Satara or State Highway from Shirur

• This one makes you plan all your Fuel, Food or Bio Breaks before or after 2.5 Hours
Old 22nd December 2017, 00:19   #51
BHPian

Hi, has any one travelled in Satara-Nira route recently. Can i take this route to reach Nasik? I would be traveling in the weekend hence checking. Please update. Thx a ton in advance
Old 22nd December 2017, 07:27   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Ranger View Post
Hi, has any one travelled in Satara-Nira route recently. Can i take this route to reach Nasik? I would be traveling in the weekend hence checking. Please update. Thx a ton in advance
Not sure if you meant Satara Nira Shirur? If so, recent update says it's not all in great shape. Just few posts above (Bypassing Pune on Bangalore-Shirdi route) on the same page.
Old 22nd December 2017, 09:21   #53
BHPian

Thanks Parag. I meant Satara-Nira Shirur route only. Better to go via Pune itself then.
Old 22nd December 2017, 17:07   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Parag. I meant Satara-Nira Shirur route only. Better to go via Pune itself then.

It all depends at what time you reach Pune! You can proceed through Katraj tunnel up to Chandni chowk, then proceed towards NCL Pashan, then join the Pune university road, proceed till Spicer college chowk & then take right towards old Pune-Mumbai highway. You will join Pune-Mumbai highway at College of Military Engineering. Proceed till Kasarwadi & join the Nasik highway.
Looks bit complicated but will save you lot if time.
Happy Motoring!!!
Old 22nd December 2017, 17:20   #55
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Travelled yesterday from Indore to Bangalore. Took NH 60 from Nashik to Pune. initial 10 kms is not ok. Rest up to Ale phata is ZIP, very good road. From Ale Phata to Bhosri is Single Road, though in between Four lane, you can not drive beyond 80 KM/Hr. But its OK. I crossed PUNE through Wakad/Bhosri BRTS road.Good drive, not stuck anywhere.

You have good veg. hotels too in this route.
sumukha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 13:09   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I am driving only after 23rd and will still take the same route via Lonand
Hoping to bypass Pune through this route tomorrow. Would love an update from you @paragsachania. Thanks in advance.
Old 28th December 2017, 13:25   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
Hoping to bypass Pune through this route tomorrow. Would love an update from you @paragsachania. Thanks in advance.
Hey Random, just about time I posted here. Unfortunately, I didn't take this route on a Monday and passed via Pune thinking it would be Xmas Holiday and all industries from Wagholi till Ranjangaon would be shut and traffic will be smooth and the fact that already we spotted so many Sugarcane trucks and tractors.

All this and the fact that we had 2 kids aged 7 and 8 this time made me take the Pune option only.

Also, yesterday I returned from Shirdi to Aurangabad trying both the Vaijapur and Shrirampur routes and noticed so many cane loaded trucks and tractors and bullock carts on this entire route. Knowing that it's cane harvest season I will not be taking the Shortcut this time due to the crowd that I have.

However, just in case I make a last minute change and end up taking this tomorrow for Bangalore, I will keep you posted here.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 04:59   #58

Thanks Parag! Leaving in a couple of minutes and considering taking the route. If I do, guess we will both know at the same time. 😊
Random is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 09:09   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

During my recent Bangalore - Aurangabad drive, I avoided taking the Satara - Lonand - Morgaon - Shirur route mainly due to its present road conditions as well as the Sugarcane harvest season.

This means, I took the usual Pune option to get onto Nagar (Ahmadnagar) road.

It was Xmas Holiday when I traveled onward and I expected lesser traffic at least from Pune till Ranjangaon Industrial area due to closure of most industries but boy I was wrong with this. The intensity of pain to do Wagholi to Ranjangaon still remained the same as it would be on a normal day.

Only thing that came in handy here was my past experiences that made me stick to the left most lane every time I noticed traffic blocks ahead. This was mainly because the very reason for the blocks/crawl was due to Right/U-Turns while the left most lane kept heading straight.
  • I took the usual Nhavale - Singhagad Road - Swargate - Shankarseth Road - Camp - Kharadi Bypass - Wagholi route to get out of the city from the Western part towards the extreme east and it took me an easy 1 hour till Wagholi.

• On Return, I took a different route via Wagholi - Yerawada - Sangamwadi Road - COEP - JM Road - LB Shastri Road - Singhagad Road to get onto the Westerly bypass and it took me more than 1.5 Hours.

Between the 2 above, for return I will stick to the second route since the roads are wider and faster and there is lesser bottlenecks (Fathimanagar 'et al) where it is always crowded towards the city. Also, the Kharadi Bypass is an IT corridor with multiple signals and thick traffic too.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 09:00   #60
BHPian

Hi - Planning to go to Shirdi from Bangalore. Any suggested route and need help where to halt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks