Team-BHP - Bypassing Pune on Bangalore-Shirdi route
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Bypassing Pune on Bangalore-Shirdi route (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/74685-bypassing-pune-bangalore-shirdi-route.html)

I drove down from Bangalore/Goa to Shirdi last May, I tried to avoid Pune traffic by taking the Katraj Road but somehow lost my way and ended up spending almost three hours in reaching Nagar road.I took a right before Bharati Vidyapith on the Bangalore-Pune highway (shown as Katraj road in mapmyindia.com) as suggested by some locals.

Everytime i have travelled to Shirdi on this route i have had difficulties in crossing Pune.

Planning a trip very soon. Can somebody help me with this please.

Mods- Please move the thread if inappropriate

Bypassing Pune on Bangalore-Shirdi route-bypass_pune.jpg

Instead of turning off at Katraj, drive straight towards Bombay. Cross, the turn off to the Pune-Bombay expressway on your and continue on the 4-lane highway. You will cross Dehu road and the toll at Talegaon. Turn off at the Talegaon - Chakan road and drive straight through to Chakan and turn left to join Pune-Nashik road. Note: This road doesn't go via Ahmednagar and is much better IMO.

Thanks moralfibre,

Is there any bypass on Nagar Road ? or any alternative route, I normally travel from Shirdi to Shani Shignapur & Aurangabad (meeting longtime friends) before travelling back to Bangalore

Rajiv

Rajiv, please PM Ashish Pallod, he is the encyclopedia of MH roads...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang (Post 1710779)
Planning a trip very soon. Can somebody help me with this please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anurag_p80 (Post 1711518)
Rajiv, please PM Ashish Pallod,

@rajiv,
sorry, could not reply your pm as i was really busy.

As far as reaching to nagar road from katraj, while coming from satara, at katraj pmt bus stand , turn right toward fursungi. you have to travel @ 10 km and you will touch to saswad hadpsar road at phursungi. at this junction, turn left toward hadapsar. travel toward hadapsar. ultimately, you will touch to pune-solapur highway. take left turn toward pune. travel toward pune for 1 km. while going toward pune, you will see magarpatta city and hero honda showroom on opposite side of road. at the signal just before hero honda showroom, turn right toward nagar road. straight travelling on this road , you will touch pune nagar road before viman nagar. turn right toward nagar.

though you will reach to nagar road some what fast and earlier, i fear, you will loose the track somewhere resulting in more confusion and wastage of time.

i sincerely recommend in city road for non locals.

you have other option of dehuroad katraj byepass-talegaon-chakan-sangamner-shirdi which is relatively faster road. you will byepass pune city. you need not to cross katraj ghat. on nh4, after crossing khed shivapur toll plaza, you can take shindewadi tunnel which will take you directly to katraj dehuroad byepass.

Try the below route

I drove from Katraj(B) to Hadapsar(C) to bypass pune on my way to Hyderabad in december'09

Bypassing Pune on Bangalore-Shirdi route-map.jpg

you can byepass pune by taking following routes
option1
satara-vathar station-lonand-nira-morgaon-supe-choufula-kedgaon-nhavara-shirur-nagar.

option 2
satara-vathar station-lonand-nira-baramati-daund-nagar.

both routes are two lane and some sections are patchy.

Thanks Ashish & IndianNomad

This information will definitely be of great help.
Last time i started from Vasco-Goa at 9 AM & reached Shirdi close to midnight,with 2 kids on board and only me driving it was a bit difficult drive especially after loosing close to 3 hrs in crossing Pune.

Rajiv

Pune BHPians,

Is it safe to drive on the Katraj - Phursungi - Magarpatta - Hadapsar - Nagar road stretch after 9 pm to byepass Pune city ? I need to reach Ahmednagar and further, Aurangabad.

If not, and if city traffic is low after 9 pm, please / request provide directions from swar gate to Bund garden road / yerawada bridge. I have repeatedly lost directions in the camp area - so, not at all confident. I do not have / use navigation systems.

Many thanks, in advance.

regards, Rao

Quote:

satara-vathar station-lonand-nira-morgaon-supe-choufula-kedgaon-nhavara-shirur-nagar.

I have used this route suggested by Ashish the last time I drove to Shirdi from Bangalore, this is not a road to be taken at night in my opinion, also the road is pretty bad in some stretches, I do not know about the current condition.

Attached two images indicate much better option to cross on to Nagar road from Katraj via Yerwada, you may be able to breeze though Konshwa and Cantonment areas till Yerwada. From Yerwada - its just right turn to Nagar. Route via Fursungi may be farther and also, more importantly, you are highly likely to hit a traffic jam in Hadapsar, Magarpatta or Mundhwa. Having stated this, during night time - either route should be fine.

Bypassing Pune on Bangalore-Shirdi route-ka1.jpg

Bypassing Pune on Bangalore-Shirdi route-ka2.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker (Post 2056233)
I have used this route suggested by Ashish the last time I drove to Shirdi from Bangalore,

the road condition on this sector has become bad to worst as now a days, trucks use this road to byepass pune city.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naren_gs1 (Post 2056560)
Attached two images indicate much better option to cross on to Nagar road from Katraj via Yerwada, you may be able to breeze though Konshwa and Cantonment areas till Yerwada.
Attachment 418503
Attachment 418504

As of now, this is the best route to cross pune with relatively low traffic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker (Post 2056233)
I have used this route suggested by Ashish the last time I drove to Shirdi from Bangalore, this is not a road to be taken at night in my opinion, also the road is pretty bad in some stretches, I do not know about the current condition.

Thank you. Not attempting this road at night as suggested by you. secondly, bad roads as ashish points.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naren_gs1 (Post 2056560)
Attached two images indicate much better option to cross on to Nagar road from Katraj via Yerwada, you may be able to breeze though Konshwa and Cantonment areas till Yerwada. From Yerwada - its just right turn to Nagar. Route via Fursungi may be farther and also, more importantly, you are highly likely to hit a traffic jam in Hadapsar, Magarpatta or Mundhwa. Having stated this, during night time - either route should be fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD (Post 2057443)
As of now, this is the best route to cross pune with relatively low traffic.

Naren, Thank you for pointing out this route - looks easy and straight forward. Kondhwa area looks congested. is it so ? I need to be aware to take right at lulla nagar junction.

Going through the city is best.
Otherwise you need to be familiar with by-passes around Pune.
And believe me - its not as easy as it seems on the google maps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha1 (Post 2057750)
And believe me - its not as easy as it seems on the google maps.

very correct!!!

but here, we are suggesting that ''brick is softer than stone''!!!:D,[ Regarding route to cross pune city].
Otherwise pune traffic is always bad in terms of congestion and discipline.