Team-BHP - Wayanad resorts query
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Wayanad resorts query (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/74845-wayanad-resorts-query.html)

I am planning a trip to wayanad during 12/13/14 of february with my parents and a friend. This will be the first long distance trip in my new car(i10 kappa magna).

After a rather vigorous search on team-bhp(of course! first search stop for everything!) , holiday iq , trip advisor et al( a million other resort/hotel websites), I have shortlisted some resorts for my stay
1. Royal palm resorts kalpetta(has anyone stayed here?)
2. green gates hotel kalpetta
3. Haritagiri ecotel (Got some mixed reviews on the www, so speculating about it)
4. Greenix farm (kalpetta-calicut road)

I had some confusions so maybe the bhpians who have already been to or are a native of wayanad plz help! any feedback will be appreciated.please:

Firstly, which location is better for my stay? kalpetta, sulthan bathery or lakkidi?( I intend to visit pookoot lake,soochipara, kanthanpara, banasura sagar dam, kuruva islands, chembra peak, meenmutty, and muthanga wlr(if there is time left)

I wanted to stay at juggu's island resort, near banasura sagar dam for a day as the surroundings of banasura island are scenic, but they are booked out. Other options available are way too expensive. Plz recommend any other resort near the banasura sagar dam.I am not considering homestays, because my dad prefers that we stay in a resort!

Would love to stay in lakkidi for a day as well, But there are little choices available( rain country resorts and greeshmam resorts)

Also I intend to do the blr-mysore-nanjangud-gundlupet-sulthan bathery route.

Plz give me opinions on my choice of stay as well as the route. Any recommendations/comdemnations are welcome! ( I need to do the bookings in a day or two..So I hope Bhpians respond to my call(for help) asap :)

anusha_snh: I had been to Hotel Green Gates sometime last year. The rooms are good & the tree house was under construction. Roads are good almost all the way.

@Anusha:
Please go through the link of hotels in wayanad.
Wayanad Hotels, Hotels in Wayanad, Wayanad Resorts, Kerala Hotels, Kerala Resorts, Indian Hotels

Best of them are Vythri Resorts, Wynberg Resorts, Pepper Green.
Try your luck

You can add the Vythri resort to the list. But off late they have become obscenely expensive. But the resort is very good.

Its good to stay at Kalpetta as its closer to the lake. Roads till the destination are very good.

Eat outs you will plenty on the Mysore road. No need to mention that. After Mysore there is a Coffee day just before Gundlupet (~2-3KM before).

As you go past Gundlupet, at the end you will see a Fork (rather a straight road with the other one at near 90 degree turn). Take this turn else you end up in Ooty !

Check this one about Entee Vedu, where I stayed during my visit.

In my opinion, Kalpetta is ideal for staying.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ad-kerala.html

I had stayed at Green Gates only for a day in Dec 2008 after my marriage. We took the Bamboo Tree house, the accommodation was amazing but the food was really bad.

Not sure if it has improved now.

I've heard Vythri is a lot better, not sure about their food either.

Quote:

Firstly, which location is better for my stay? kalpetta, sulthan bathery or lakkidi?( I intend to visit pookoot lake,soochipara, kanthanpara, banasura sagar dam, kuruva islands, chembra peak, meenmutty, and muthanga wlr(if there is time left)
You are definitely better off staying at kalpetta. You could drive to all these places from Kalpetta.

Quote:

Plz recommend any other resort near the banasura sagar dam.I am not considering homestays, because my dad prefers that we stay in a resort
Therez no resorts in the vicinity of the dam which offers you a great view. Maybe a 2 hours trip should suffice. The dam has boating facilities which you can use. Apart from that there is nothing worth while to stay around the place.

Quote:

Would love to stay in lakkidi for a day as well, But there are little choices available( rain country resorts and greeshmam resorts)
Once again why wuld you want to stay at Lakkidi ? If its just for the view around the hair pin curves get up early and drive to Lakkidi from Kalpetta. Enjoy the view and come back to Kalpetta, its just the matter of about 8kms or so.

Quote:

Also I intend to do the blr-mysore-nanjangud-gundlupet-sulthan bathery route
You are on track , use the same route.

@ all : Thank you for your inputs . clap:

@blackstallion : I had gone through this site before , its a great help

@ampere:I feel vythiri resort is amazing , but its gonna be very expensive for four people for three days. Would love to visit, but maybe some other time.

@ riju sir: Point noted. My stay will be at kalpetta :)

@Dud_Dodo: Thanks for pointing out the negative points about the food.

I want to know if somebody has stayed at haritagiri or royal palms? I am planning to stay at stream valley cottage for one day as well.

Edit:Also , we all are vegetarians, so need a resort with decent food

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dud_Dodo (Post 1715329)
I had stayed at Green Gates only for a day in Dec 2008 after my marriage. We took the Bamboo Tree house, the accommodation was amazing but the food was really bad.

Not sure if it has improved now.

I've heard Vythri is a lot better, not sure about their food either.

Green gates has improved a lot, i had been there last year.

has anyone here been to or stayed in Karapuzha lake resort or coffee acres plantation resort ? Both are different type of resorts in special settings.

What will be the distance from wayanad to Muzhapilangad Drive in Beach?

Quote:

Originally Posted by anusha_snh (Post 1716909)
What will be the distance from wayanad to Muzhapilangad Drive in Beach?

Depends on what car you would be driving. The route is as below
Mananthavady--Paariya--Nedumpoyil--Kuthuparambu--deviate to NH-17 towards thalassery and once you enter NH-17 about 4 kms from the railway crossing is Muzhapilangad beach.

Distance could be less than 100kms. I dint quite record this , however the ghat section is a tad bit bad and you gotto watch-out.

edit :

Here's a post for you from the same place ;).

@riju sir: I had been through your travelogue before . Amazing pictures and narration! :thumbs up

I am travelling in my i10, so I think bad roads would be a hindrance. However if the distance is less than 100 km, and if it takes around 2-3hrs, I would not want to miss this place.

Check out BlueGinger resorts, I have stayed there for 2 nights and liked their cottage and food as well. Take the bamboo cottage right on the stream and avoid regular masonry ones.

Hi Anusha_snh,

I have been to wynad couple of times. Vythri resorts and surrounding resorts are recommended. There are many resorts with tree houses, rock cave diners etc.

Alternately get in touch with Hammock Holidays.

Wayanad - Hammock Holidays

These guys generally visit the resort before the recommend. I have used them many times and have been satisfied. To be honest I have not visited them or wynad over the last few years.

Have a great holiday