Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2010, 11:32   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Madurai-Munnar-Thekkady: Advice Needed

Hello guys

I’ll be travelling (Along with wife and friends) from Madurai to Munnar next week end and I need your expert advice on the do’s and don’ts enroute/at Munnar. I have been to Munnar earlier but that was from the Udumalapet side and by public transport.

I have gone through dreamdiesel and sriswe’s travelogues on Munnar and have collected information (Given below) on the places to visit. Thanks to them.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...enjoyed-2.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...swift-d-2.html

Now I would need more info on reaching these places. Would appreciate if you guys can answer the below queries.
  1. Distance and travel time from Madurai Kamarajar University to Munnar Town by self driven car?
  2. Sightseeing spots enroute Madurai-Theni-Bodi Pass-Munnar route other than Lockheart Gap?
  3. Sightseeing places at Munnar
    1. Been there earlier
      i. Photo Point
      ii. Mattupetty Dam
      iii. Echo Point
      iv. Kundala Lake
      v. Top Station – Trekking arranged. Planned to cover 50% of the distance we covered in our earlier trip. Pictures attached for reference.
    2. Need route info please
      i. Dairy Farm Indo-Swiss Project: Where do we get the permission to visit?
      ii. Cinema Shooting Point
      iii. Elephant Arrival Spot
      iv. Kundala Golf Course
  4. Distance and travel time from Munnar Town to Thekkady by self driven car?
  5. Sightseeing places in Munnar-Thekkady route
    a. Sita Devi Lake
    b. Power House Waterfalls
    c. Resorts Village View
    d. Anaiyirankal Dam View
  6. I start from Munnar on 15th early morning. I have to be in Madurai by 4 PM max so I have enough time to catch my train back to Chennai. Will I be able to make it in time if i visit the places mentioned in point # 5 and the boat ride in Thekkady?
  7. Distance and travel time from Thekkady to Madurai?
Trip itenary
13th Feb 2010
• Reach Madurai from Chennai at 5AM
• Start to Munnar from Madurai by 8AM
• Reach Munnar. Sightseeing enroute/at Munnar
14th Feb 2010
• Sightseeing at Munnar
• Trekking at Top Station
15th Feb 2010
• Start from Munnar to Madurai early morning
• Visit Thekkady enroute based on time availability
• Start to Chennai from Madurai
Attached Thumbnails
Madurai-Munnar-Thekkady: Advice Needed-dsc00002.jpg  

Madurai-Munnar-Thekkady: Advice Needed-dsc00004.jpg  

Madurai-Munnar-Thekkady: Advice Needed-dsc00012.jpg  

Madurai-Munnar-Thekkady: Advice Needed-dsc00018.jpg  

Madurai-Munnar-Thekkady: Advice Needed-dsc01617.jpg  

Madurai-Munnar-Thekkady: Advice Needed-dsc01623.jpg  

Madurai-Munnar-Thekkady: Advice Needed-img_1929.jpg  

Madurai-Munnar-Thekkady: Advice Needed-img_1939.jpg  

Old 5th February 2010, 12:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Distance and travel time from Madurai Kamarajar University to Munnar Town by self driven car?
Madurai (Hotel Germnanus)-Usilampatti 36 kms-Andipatti 23-Theni 17-Turn off to the right 2 kms after Theni town-Bodinaikanur 14-Bodimedu 27-Poopara 11-Turn right-Panniar View/Chinnakanal/Club Mahindra 14-Lockhart Gap 4-Munnar 14.

I have taken 3.00 hrs for the drive from Madurai to Munnar.

Quote:
Sightseeing spots enroute Madurai-Theni-Bodi Pass-Munnar route other than Lockheart Gap?

Quote:
Sightseeing places at Munnar
Been there earlier
i. Photo Point
ii. Mattupetty Dam
iii. Echo Point
iv. Kundala Lake
v. Top Station – Trekking arranged. Planned to cover 50% of the distance we covered in our earlier trip. Pictures attached for reference.
Need route info please
i. Dairy Farm Indo-Swiss Project: Where do we get the permission to visit?
ii. Cinema Shooting Point
iii. Elephant Arrival Spot
iv. Kundala Golf Course
The circuit is Munnar-Mattupetty Dam 12 kms-Mattupetty Cattle Farm 2-Palar Check Post 4-Kundale Dam 7-Kundale Golf Club 5/6 kms-Kundale Dam 5/6-Top Station 11.

I do not think they allow visitors to the Mattupetty Farm any more. Kundale Golf Course is open to members of Kundale Club only. BTW, the photo of teh Scorpio that you see in my handle was taken at Kundale Golf Course in 2005!!!

Quote:
Distance and travel time from Munnar Town to Thekkady by self driven car?
Sightseeing places in Munnar-Thekkady route
a. Sita Devi Lake
b. Power House Waterfalls
c. Resorts Village View
d. Anaiyirankal Dam View
Kumili is 110 kms from Munnar. Follow the same road you cam from Madurai till Poopara, but continue straight (Bodi/Madurai to the left). Should take you 2 hours, excellent road. Thekkady is 5 kms from Kumili.

Anaitirangal Dam view is what you will see on onward journey also, where I have marked Chinnakanal.

Quote:
I start from Munnar on 15th early morning. I have to be in Madurai by 4 PM max so I have enough time to catch my train back to Chennai. Will I be able to make it in time if i visit the places mentioned in point # 5 and the boat ride in Thekkady?
Distance and travel time from Thekkady to Madurai?
NO boat rides in Thekkady now. Only treks. Not enough time, since boat rides/ treks take time.

From Kumili to Madurai is 135 kms and should take you 3.30 hrs.
Old 5th February 2010, 13:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
NO boat rides in Thekkady now. Only treks. Not enough time, since boat rides/ treks take time.

From Kumili to Madurai is 135 kms and should take you 3.30 hrs.
Boat rides have started again from January '10. It takes about 2 hours. The only possible ride which I can think off for you if you start very early from Munnar is the 11.00 AM Boat ride which would be over by 1.00 PM allowing you to reach Madurai around 4.00 PM. But the sightings on the mid noon trips are always poor.
Old 5th February 2010, 16:24   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks a lot for the details guys. It's like you remember these details from the back of your hand!

Now I need to sort out the travel time for 15th Feb so that I can plan for a visit to Thekkady and return to Madurai in time. The train is @ 8:45 PM so I have a good buffer there. But still I wanted to keep it safe by having the target to reach madurai by 4 PM.

Does anyone know where the Flower Park is in Munnar?

@ hvkumar - Nice to know that your Scorpio picture was taken at Munnar. I'm a huge fan of your travel escapades esp. you taking the Munnar-Berijam-Kodaikanal short route many years before. What an experience
Old 22nd February 2010, 20:16   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Completed the trip!

Completed the trip. Photos here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...on-photos.html
Old 28th September 2012, 21:09   #6
BHPian

Re: Madurai-Munnar-Thekkady: Advice Needed

Didn't find the right threads to post this on : please point me to it, if there is a more appropriate thread.

Some road updates :

1. Munnar town : Roads being repaired relaid inside the town
2. Poopara - Kumily - Thekkady : Road in top condition
3. Munnar - Poopara : Work happening in some stretches.
4. Kumily - Vandiperiyar : Bad/work in progress for 2-3 kms after Kumily. And then you a get a brand new stretch perfect for a blitz for a few kms. After this it's a *slightly* older stretch and in top condition
5. Kumily - Theni - Dindukkal : A struggle for most parts, work in progress in many many stretches. Vathalagundu - Dindukkal is a big headache due to the work.. Dusty/half roads/metal roads et al. Ghat roads from Kumily to Gudalur in good condition. Had to skip visiting Kumbakarai falls ( near Periyakulam ) and Manjalar Dam ( off Devadanampatti ) due to the fact that we made slower progress than expected on this road :(

The saving grace was the jigarthanda at "Jillu nu oru Jigarthanda" pushcart just after Theni signal.
Old 7th September 2015, 22:37   #7
BHPian

Reviving an old thread .... wanted to know the current road conditions from Madurai to Munnar. All inputs are welcome
Old 8th September 2015, 10:50   #8
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbeth View Post
Reviving an old thread .... wanted to know the current road conditions from Madurai to Munnar. All inputs are welcome
From what I know, Madurai-Theni NH49 road should be good, though traffic may be slightly more than Dindigul-Vathlagundu-Theni.
Where are you driving to Madurai from ? That may give pointers for better routing.

Last edited by NPV : 8th September 2015 at 10:51.
Old 9th September 2015, 11:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
From what I know, Madurai-Theni NH49 road should be good, though traffic may be slightly more than Dindigul-Vathlagundu-Theni.
Where are you driving to Madurai from ? That may give pointers for better routing.
Thanks for the quick response NPV, i am actually driving from Mumbai and enroute shall cover Bellary (hometown), Belur, Vellore, Pondicherry, Srirangam, Madurai and finally Munnar.

Places mentioned are in sequence of visit.

if you have a better suggestion please do let me know
Old 9th September 2015, 12:26   #10
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response NPV, i am actually driving from Mumbai and enroute shall cover Bellary (hometown), Belur, Vellore, Pondicherry, Srirangam, Madurai and finally Munnar.
If you've decided this sequence, it is good and so is the Madurai-Munnar route.

That's a long trip! Drive safe and enjoy your trip
Old 9th September 2015, 17:07   #11
BHPian

Thanks NPV.....any suggestions are welcome and I am okay to change the sequence . Also any inputs to places in addition to Munnar? How is Thekady?
Old 10th September 2015, 06:21   #12
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks NPV.....any suggestions are welcome and I am okay to change the sequence . Also any inputs to places in addition to Munnar? How is Thekady?
I think the sequence of places to visit is good.
Other places you can consider if you have the time are Thekkady (closer to Munnar, at least for the boat ride you can go there en route to Munnar), Kanyakumari and Rameshwaram+Dhanushkodi - if you can include these it will be the Great South Indian Tour

Most Viewed