Team-BHP - Lost licence- out of state- in a fix- long drive - help required
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Lost licence- out of state- in a fix- long drive - help required (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/75243-lost-licence-out-state-fix-long-drive-help-required.html)

Dear all,

I have lost my DL issued from Punjab. I am currently in Karnataka.
I am leaving karnataka for good in one month and plan to drive back.

I have photocopy of my DL with me (front page)..average quality b/w

RTO in punjab says I need to be there in person to get license as they issue only plastic card type license. Doesnt make sense to spend 8000+ to go and get a license and come back.

RTO in bangalore can give me duplicate only if my address in license is bangalore... which it is not. Otherwise I have to go learner - dl route which takes more than 30 days.

Any way out?
What would one do on a long trip if one lost the license on the way?
Will FIR + identification proof + photocopy work?

please help... thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reply_amit (Post 1725567)
Dear all,

I have lost my DL issued from Punjab. I am currently in Karnataka.
I am leaving karnataka for good in one month and plan to drive back.

I have photocopy of my DL with me (front page)..average quality b/w

RTO in punjab says I need to be there in person to get license as they issue only plastic card type license. Doesnt make sense to spend 8000+ to go and get a license and come back.

RTO in bangalore can give me duplicate only if my address in license is bangalore... which it is not. Otherwise I have to go learner - dl route which takes more than 30 days.

Any way out?
What would one do on a long trip if one lost the license on the way?
Will FIR + identification proof + photocopy work? Yes an FIR Copy would definately work nothing to worry,
please help... thanks in advance.

In case you are asked for your DL anywhere you can show the Photostate & if they insist on original show them FIR Copy normally you can get around till one month.Wear Seat belt & follow traffic rule - as rightly said prevention is better than cure - but nothing to be worried off.:thumbs up

FIR Copy is good evidenced + you have a photostate as well of DL

Go to a Police Station, file an FIR, but remeber to keep the photocopy with you. If required take a few more copies, just to be on the safer side. Also, keep some other ID proof in hand, like either a passport or PAN, anything of that sort. You shouldn't have any further problems.

Cool down man, its easy to get new license then getting a duplicate copy of your original license in India. Time taken in both process is almost same, so go for learner and then take new one in Karnataka in 30 days time.

But launch a police complaint on safer side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rg_chn (Post 1725640)
Go to a Police Station, file an FIR, but remeber to keep the photocopy with you. If required take a few more copies, just to be on the safer side. Also, keep some other ID proof in hand, like either a passport or PAN, anything of that sort. You shouldn't have any further problems.

This would be the best possible thing to do. Get the FIR copy, have it photo copied and keep some copies with you always. And also the photo copy of the DL. Once you are out of Karnataka, go back to Punjab RTO and get your DL from where it was originally issued.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam003 (Post 1725673)
Cool down man, its easy to get new license then getting a duplicate copy of your original license in India. Time taken in both process is almost same, so go for learner and then take new one in Karnataka in 30 days time.

But launch a police complaint on safer side.

He is leaving Karnataka for good in one month. So i guess a license in Karnataka will be of no good for him if he is going back to his hometown.

Yes, getting a duplicate license seems to be difficult in India. In 2007, I wanted to get a duplicate license in Mumbai as my original license was mutilated. The advise I received was to claim that the original license was lost and get a new one. I didn’t have to go thru the Learning License route though as my original license was also issued in Mumbai.
You may also try to contact local branch of Automobile Association. I think they will serve only the members, but if you are a member the process would become easier.
All the best.

I once lost my license, which was issued from my home town Bulandshahr in UP. I went to the RTO office, met a known RTO agent. He asked for the photo-copy of my DL and 2 passport size photos and gave me a new one in like 1 hour. Total expense INR 150.

Ask you family in Punjab to contact some RTO agent, this is a fairly simple process and you'll get a duplicate DL easily.

\N

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntomer (Post 1725879)
I once lost my license, which was issued from my home town Bulandshahr in UP. I went to the RTO office, met a known RTO agent. He asked for the photo-copy of my DL and 2 passport size photos and gave me a new one in like 1 hour. Total expense INR 150.

Ask you family in Punjab to contact some RTO agent, this is a fairly simple process and you'll get a duplicate DL easily.

\N

This is the best option. Even though it is not the correct way as per the rules, it is the best. Otherwise ask some agent in Karnataka to get a new one made. They can do it in a day.

Thanks guys. RTO in my city only issues cards these days. so i am required to be in person.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupam00 (Post 1725608)
In case you are asked for your DL anywhere you can show the Photostate & if they insist on original show them FIR Copy normally you can get around till one month.Wear Seat belt & follow traffic rule - as rightly said prevention is better than cure - but nothing to be worried off.:thumbs up

FIR Copy is good evidenced + you have a photostate as well of DL

^^^ is the best option.

Otherwise, persuade a public notary or gazetted officer (probably a relative of yours) to attest on the photocopy of your DL. If you're known to them personally they'll not want to see your originals. Any attested copy is equivalent to its originals. In either case file an FIR without fail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 1727656)
^^^ is the best option.

Otherwise, persuade a public notary or gazetted officer (probably a relative of yours) to attest on the photocopy of your DL. If you're known to them personally they'll not want to see your originals. Any attested copy is equivalent to its originals. In either case file an FIR without fail.

Thank you
:)

Thanks & Regards

Bumping up this old thread for a friend.
Similar situation. Lost licence out of state.

Is the best way still to get a fresh licence? Now that government departments have moved online as well, isn't that an issue? Or can one have a fresh licence issued in the new state with impunity?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mu009 (Post 4757067)
Bumping up this old thread for a friend.
Similar situation. Lost licence out of state.

Is the best way still to get a fresh licence? Now that government departments have moved online as well, isn't that an issue? Or can one have a fresh licence issued in the new state with impunity?

Maybe pull out the license details from DigiLocker, download a soft copy and keep a print of the same. 3-4yrs back while travelling in Gujarat, I had done this & also kept along a "Lost Report" that I filed online through an App made by Karnataka police.

Faintly remember having tried to get the license soft copy from parivahan website, and paying for it, but then it eventually didn't work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrammarNazi (Post 4757072)
Maybe pull out the license details from DigiLocker, download a soft copy and keep a print of the same. 3-4yrs back while travelling in Gujarat, I had done this & also kept along a "Lost Report" that I filed online through an App made by Karnataka police.

Faintly remember having tried to get the license soft copy from parivahan website, and paying for it, but then it eventually didn't work.

Thanks for such a prompt reply sir.
But let me clarify. My initial stub (written in the panic of a friend's lost wallet) wasn't clear enough.

He's not going for a long drive immediately, but has lost his licence out of state.

Question is, should he bother travelling to the original state of issue post FIR to get a duplicate/NOC in the long run? Or just get a fresh licence? Especially given that he no longer has an address proof for the original state where the licence was issued. That will significantly compound the problem, I imagine? :Frustrati

For now, he's using Digilocker etc, and getting by fine. Question is what to do for the long term?

@aargee gives the perfect solution. If you know any gazetted officer, get your DL photocopy attested by him/her. It is perfectly valid to carry. I hope your photocopy is on plain paper and not the small laminated variety! I said "known" gazetted officer because others may not attest without seeing the original.