Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2010, 12:21   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post

3. Sentosa island.
- Songs of the sea
Dont miss this. it is in evening time.so plan accordingly.
Old 9th March 2010, 13:44   #17
BHPian

Itinerary Modified. Langkawi Out Penang In

I discussed my travel plans at length with my wifey and we concluded the following.
1. The travel between the cities should be planned in Evening rather than early morning so that the sound sleep at night can take off all the day's tiredness.
2. We love beaches (Have been to mostly all the beaches on Western Coast all the way till Kanyakumari) and also with the li'l Kid around, there going to Genting won't serve much of purpose, so plan to spend a good amount of time at a Beach city.
3. Langkawi seems not to very well connected now via the flights(only a limited number of flights and no daily frequency and also the Tiger Airways dropped off Langkawi-KL from their Route List). Hence, the other option was Penang.

So here's the modified plan.
Day 0: Leave Delhi late evening
Day 1: Sunday: Reach KL early morning and catch a flight to Singapore.
Day 2: Monday: Singapore
Day 3: Tuesday: Leave Singapore late evening and catch a flight to Penang.
Day 4: Wednesday: Penang
Day 5: Thursday: Penang
Day 6: Friday: Leave Penang late evening and catch a flight to KL.
Day 7: Saturday: KL
Day 8: Sunday: Leave KL late evening and catch a flight to Delhi.

A word of advice.
Before booking any tickets, do thorough search on the internet regarding the availabilty of flight deals. Some googling and luck helped me fetch following deal (via GET-THE-DEAL option)
Sector - PENANG - KUALA LUMPUR
Airline - Malaysia Airlines
Cost - MYR 222 for 3 persons
Inclusions - Refreshments and Check-in Luggage Allowance of 20KG for 3 persons

As compared, the cheapest deal on Budget Airline was
Airline - AirAsia
Cost - MYR 241 for 3 persons
Inclusions - No Refreshments and Check-in Luggage Allowance of 15KG for 2 persons

Lesson - Budget Airlines need not be the cheapest Always. Consider all the options.
Old 10th March 2010, 14:31   #18
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Keep watching for Ashish's traveloguefor photos of singapore and Malaysia. It's not over yet. You can plan accordingly.
I'm going to update his travelogue with my experience of 6 trips between Singapore and Malaysia in a span of 8 months!
Old 10th March 2010, 14:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Keep watching for Ashish's traveloguefor photos of singapore and Malaysia. It's not over yet. You can plan accordingly.
I'm going to update his travelogue with my experience of 6 trips between Singapore and Malaysia in a span of 8 months!
Yups. I am all glued to it.
His trip reassured me of what I planned.
Looking forward for your tips and trips details as well.
Old 10th March 2010, 15:22   #20
BHPian

I would suggest visiting the Singapore Zoo over the Night safari if one has to choose between the two. Although Night safari offers a different kind of experience for many of us, I personally found it a little silly to see animals like Indian Goat, cattle and wild fowl through the glass enclosures which we commonly see on the roads in India. However, its been some time since I went there and things might have changed by now. Someone who has visited Night safari recently can comment about their experience.

On the contrary, Singapore Zoo,situated besides a picturesque lake covers a huge area with animal enclosures that are wide, open and well maintained. We get to many species of animals and a lot of information is provided at the animal enclosures. One can choose to spend the whole day out there with some animal shows thrown in for the kids and adults alike.
Old 10th March 2010, 16:33   #21
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
I would suggest visiting the Singapore Zoo over the Night safari if one has to choose between the two. Although Night safari offers a different kind of experience for many of us, I personally found it a little silly to see animals like Indian Goat, cattle and wild fowl through the glass enclosures which we commonly see on the roads in India. However, its been some time since I went there and things might have changed by now. Someone who has visited Night safari recently can comment about their experience.

On the contrary, Singapore Zoo,situated besides a picturesque lake covers a huge area with animal enclosures that are wide, open and well maintained. We get to many species of animals and a lot of information is provided at the animal enclosures. One can choose to spend the whole day out there with some animal shows thrown in for the kids and adults alike.
One can easily count out the mandai zoo as well. Unless you are an animal enthusiast. I loved the orangos there. You can have breakfast with the orang utan in Mandai Zoo. The night safari is basically the same zoo which takes you in a different course to show different aspects.
In the night safari, one can put their hand in the mouth of a tiger (dead one ofcourse. Only the skull with teeth intact is kept there).
In the day time, one can go to the petting zoo and touch many animals.
The bird park scores over the zoo and the night safari. especially feeding the lori is fun. One of them bit my ear.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
One can easily count out the mandai zoo as well. Unless you are an animal enthusiast. I loved the orangos there. You can have breakfast with the orang utan in Mandai Zoo. The night safari is basically the same zoo which takes you in a different course to show different aspects.
In the night safari, one can put their hand in the mouth of a tiger (dead one ofcourse. Only the skull with teeth intact is kept there).
In the day time, one can go to the petting zoo and touch many animals.
The bird park scores over the zoo and the night safari. especially feeding the lori is fun. One of them bit my ear.
The only Zoo I am planning to visit is "Jurong Bird park". I plan to spend a good amount of day there watching shows and feeding birds.
The other major time whould be spent at the Sentosa Island.
Apart from that I have shortlisted Marina Bay and the favourites for shopping "Simi Lim Square/Serangoon Road/Little India".

I have dropped the idea of Night Safari. I know I may miss something but then there should be some motivation for next visit too
Old 11th March 2010, 19:11   #23
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Serangoon road only if you want Indian food. Little India only if you want to visit temples. Keep out of Mustafa. It's a waste.
Don't miss out on the underwater world in sentosa and the famed musical/ magical fountain.
I wanted to continue Ashish's travelogue. But then, Yeti wants me to start a new one. It will take a while though to start a new one.
Old 10th June 2010, 11:03   #24
BHPian

Guys, can someone confirm the transit visa requirements for someone transiting in Malaysia?

The High Commission indicates and I quote:

Quote:
TRANSIT VISA TO MALAYSIA
Please be advised that with effect from 01 December 2009, the transit facility without visa up to 120 hours at five (5) entry points in Malaysia, previously given to passport holders of Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka is hereby cancelled. All passport holders from the above mentioned countries must have social/short visa for a transit at any point of entry in Malaysia. Notwithstanding, nationals of the above mentioned countries who have a valid permanent resident status or have a valid long term permit of stay or have a valid work permits from other countries may be given the transit facility without visa up to 120 hours.
Source: High Commission of Malaysia

Other sites indicate that a transit visa is NOT required. For someone traveling to Australia, looking to transit through KL, is a transit visa required?
Old 10th June 2010, 14:43   #25
BHPian

If you haven't booked your hotel yet and want super cheap rooms, try the Tune Hotels site. They have a hotel right outside the LCC airport in KL and you can use the Skybus service to visit the city which is again very cheap. Do not use taxis as you could spend a lot of money on them. I think Tune Hotels also have a hotel in Penang.
You can book rooms online at Asia?s Best Value Hotels.5 Star Beds,Power Shower,Great Locations,Clean & Secure . This is owned by the Air Asia group too.
Also, for travelling to Penang and Langkawi, you could book a train ticket and save some money ( although flights are cheaper sometimes ) . You can book train tickets online at
Untitled Page .
Old 16th June 2010, 09:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Please see whether you can accommodate recently opened Universal Studios in Singapore in your schedule, it will take the whole day but is worth it. You can catch some snaps in my thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...e-earth-2.html
Old 18th June 2010, 21:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Guys, can someone confirm the transit visa requirements for someone transiting in Malaysia?

The High Commission indicates and I quote:

Source: High Commission of Malaysia

Other sites indicate that a transit visa is NOT required. For someone traveling to Australia, looking to transit through KL, is a transit visa required?
Frankly speaking I am not sure about the Transit Visa of Malaysia. It was not there 1 month back and has been re-introduced recently.
Here is a pop-up you will get in case you try booking to Malaysia via Air Asia.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...1&d=1276875101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
If you haven't booked your hotel yet and want super cheap rooms, try the Tune Hotels site. They have a hotel right outside the LCC airport in KL and you can use the Skybus service to visit the city which is again very cheap. Do not use taxis as you could spend a lot of money on them. I think Tune Hotels also have a hotel in Penang.
You can book rooms online at Asia?s Best Value Hotels.5 Star Beds,Power Shower,Great Locations,Clean & Secure . This is owned by the Air Asia group too.
Also, for travelling to Penang and Langkawi, you could book a train ticket and save some money ( although flights are cheaper sometimes ) . You can book train tickets online at
Untitled Page .
Yeah, I am aware of the Tune hotels and the concept. I have had a stay at Ginger hotels and have a very good experience there. But this time I am planning chose a bit luxurious one (Similar to "I like Haldiram's but I would prefer Punjabi by Nature this time").

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Please see whether you can accommodate recently opened Universal Studios in Singapore in your schedule, it will take the whole day but is worth it. You can catch some snaps in my thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...e-earth-2.html
Yeah, Initially my plan was to accomodate this but I think my Child is too small to enjoy so I chopped off one day of Singapore and have now planned to spend more time at Penang.
Attached Thumbnails
Phoren Trip - Malaysia - Singapore Advice Reqd.-malaysia-transit-visa.jpg  

Most Viewed