Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2010, 15:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

Timing of the Trip

This trip was initially planned for some time mid next month, somehow that seems to be not possible. Also with the onset of Summer, Manipal or the coast may not be the best place to visit. So we intend to schedule our trip with the onset of the Monsoon's which hits Manipal and the East Coast with gusto in the beginning of May.

What say?
Old 24th February 2010, 15:35   #32
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
This trip was initially planned for some time mid next month, somehow that seems to be not possible. Also with the onset of Summer, Manipal or the coast may not be the best place to visit. So we intend to schedule our trip with the onset of the Monsoon's which hits Manipal and the East Coast with gusto in the beginning of May.

What say?
Onset of Monsoon? then it's got to be July. You are not goint to get rains in Coastal karnataka atleast till beginning of June. Maybe the pre-monsoon showers which would push up the humidity to untolerable levels.
Old 24th February 2010, 16:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Onset of Monsoon? then it's got to be July. You are not goint to get rains in Coastal karnataka atleast till beginning of June. Maybe the pre-monsoon showers which would push up the humidity to untolerable levels.
During my time in Manipal, rain always used to start from the 1st week of may and in June I generally used to wear sweat shirts and confront fogs in the evening.

May be our resident Manipal - expert Samurai can guide me over here .
Old 24th February 2010, 16:41   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Quote:
During my time in Manipal, rain always used to start from the 1st week of may and in June I generally used to wear sweat shirts and confront fogs in the evening.
There is never any rains in May. However, an early monsoon can start by May 25th, but it rarely does. Delayed Monsoon can stretch the summer up to June 15, not later though. Otherwise, the entire June-Sept season is monsoon. Delayed monsoon could see less rains in June. However, July will have maximum rain. August will have hard to moderate rains, September will have moderate to less rain. September will have the worst roads after 3 months of pounding.

Quote:
Rathabeedi . Anyways lets see which route to take. Btw any tips on where to have some good Bangra Fry?
Bangra Fry... Do you mean Bangade fry? Your only hope in Manipal is Hangyo. Else you can try Kidiyoor or Udupi Residency.
Old 24th February 2010, 16:49   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
You can take the following route
Hyderabad - Bangalore - Kunigal - Hassan - Kottighehara - Charmadi - Belthangady - Mudabidri - Karkala - Manipal.
Murdeshwar would be a much better place to stay. There are good hotels there. Gokarna is not a very safe place to stay.
Places to visit - Udupi Krishna & Kadaiyali temple, Malpe beach, Kumbashi temple, Hattiangadi temple, Kollur Temple, Maravanthe Beach.

Hi, MileCruncher and others,

I am following this thread with great interest. Actually, we too are planning a similar trip to those areas in this summer! Not the best time, I know, but no option. Information here will help me to have realistic plans, will put up specific query for suggestions shortly.
Old 24th February 2010, 16:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Bangra Fry... Do you mean Bangade fry? Your only hope in Manipal is Hangyo. Else you can try Kidiyoor or Udupi Residency.
I meant the fish variety. Hangyo in our times used to be only Ice Cream and some snacks which used to be really bad.

OT: There used to a Sheela Restaurant in the Green Park complex. Is the restaurant still there?
Old 24th February 2010, 17:15   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I meant the fish variety. Hangyo in our times used to be only Ice Cream and some snacks which used to be really bad.
Yeah, that is fish. Oh, I recall that Hangyo from the 90s, that is closed. The modern Hangyo is on the main road, next to the Cancer hospital. Now it is the premier Indian style restaurant in Manipal.

Quote:
OT: There used to a Sheela Restaurant in the Green Park complex. Is the restaurant still there?
The green park complex is shady these days, I never venture there.
Old 24th February 2010, 17:19   #38
BHPian

Quote:

Bangude(Mackerel), you must try it in Mangalore at Hotel Narayana. Even better is their Anjal (King or Seer Fish)
My mouth is already watering.

Samurai, How good is Diana? Heard good about it but have not tried it yet.
Old 24th February 2010, 17:36   #39
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Hangyo was good. But I prefer Ideal. The first time I heard Hangyo, I thought it's soem korean brand. Later I came to know in Konkani Hangyo means, Eigo Baaye (ahem. come here).
Interestingly, Tiramisu means Pick me up! Sorry about the OT there.

And MC, sweatshirt and rains in May? Boy. you badly need to reconnect with manipal as you seem to have lost memory of this place. Take my advice. Don't wait till monsoons, go down immediately and spend a fortnight there reminiscing nostalgia.
Old 24th February 2010, 17:36   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Milecruncher, are you going on vacation ( do you really need another one so soon?) or a fish eating expedition?
Old 24th February 2010, 18:39   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Milecruncher, are you going on vacation ( do you really need another one so soon?) or a fish eating expedition?
Saar, My last (major/minor) vacation was in September LAST YEAR, whereas you came back from your last major vacation in January THIS YEAR and when again went on a minor vacation 1 week back. So please don't talk about needing a vacation .

And yes this is a nostalgia trip and since food was integral part of my 4-year stay in Manipal, will have a major food feast while I'm down there.

@MX6: I so wish I could leave right now, but somehow doesn't seem to be possible. So I guess I have to wait till end April
Old 25th February 2010, 17:53   #42
BHPian

Came across this link for Tarkali
One of my friend had stayed in the Mah Tourism resort and said it was a nice place, and has to be booked well in advance
Old 29th April 2010, 11:04   #43
Senior - BHPian

After a lot of deliberations and trying to squeeze time, we have been able to finalise on the dates for our "Down the Memory Lane - Manipal Trip". This is brief route plan Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India to Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India - Google Maps

The dates are as follows:
14th May : Depart Hyderabad 0200 Hrs
14th May : Arrive Hampi 0800 Hrs
14th May : Depart Hampi 1000 Hrs
14th May : Arrive Manipal 2000 Hrs via route shown above
14th May : Night Stay Manipal
15th May : Night Stay Manipal
16th May : Depart Manipal 0600 Hrs
16th May : Arrive Gokarna 1600 Hrs with lunch stop @ Shetty's Lunch Home, Kundapura
17th May : Depart Gokarna 0500 Hrs
17th May : Arrive Hyderabad 2000 Hrs

Now that the planning is done, all I need to do is find some sponsor for thsi trip
Old 29th April 2010, 11:18   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The dates are as follows:
14th May : Depart Hyderabad 0200 Hrs
14th May : Arrive Hampi 0800 Hrs
14th May : Depart Hampi 1000 Hrs
14th May : Arrive Manipal 2000 Hrs via route shown above
14th May : Night Stay Manipal
All this in one day? How? What can you see in Hampi in just 2 hours?
Old 29th April 2010, 11:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
All this in one day? How? What can you see in Hampi in just 2 hours?
I have already visited everything in Hampi. Hampi will just be the breakfast stop.

Btw how is the weather right now? I heard it had rained in Udipi a few days back

Also could you suggest which hotel to stay on the Parkala Road. Budget is 600 ~800 for an AC room.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 29th April 2010 at 11:27.

Most Viewed