Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:41   #1
BHPian

Trek at Savandurga – Conditions?

Has anyone been to Savandurga (near Magadi road) recently? How are the conditions there w.r.t. cleanliness and safety? I’m thinking of doing a night trek in a week or two. Is it safe to leave the car/bike at the base for a night?

Any other info on route/conditions that you think is relevant is also most welcome.

I'm thinking of taking the Magadi road route to reach there(only because I have been on that route earlier). Which one is better when going from BTM, Magadi road or Mysore road?
Thanks!

Last edited by subhashnm : 22nd February 2010 at 11:43. Reason: Font got all messed up
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhashnm View Post
......Any other info on route/conditions that you think is relevant is also most welcome.

I'm thinking of taking the Magadi road route to reach there(only because I have been on that route earlier). Which one is better when going from BTM, Magadi road or Mysore road?
Thanks!

If you are coming from BTM, better take the Mysore road as the Magadi route is roundabout. From Mysore road, take the following route.

Mysore road-Take right after Rajarajeshwari dental college-Big Banyan tree-Chandrappa circle (take left here)-Chikkahalli-Manchanabele-Savandurga.

The roads are good all through to Savandurga except for a couple of kms between Chikkahalli & Manchanabele where the road is being re-laid.

I have not trekked Savandurga, but I have been to its base.
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:08   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Mysore road-Take right after Rajarajeshwari dental college-Big Banyan tree-Chandrappa circle (take left here)-Chikkahalli-Manchanabele-Savandurga.
Thanks a bunch, addyhemmige!

Given that I will be going for a night trek and will be going on this route later in the night, what are the chances of me getting lost? I might not find anyone on the road to ask for directions. Need I take a map along? Or are there sign boards along the way?
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Route wise you can take any route and reach there. Trekking in the night on Savandurga is STRICTLY NO. My friends tried this once and was very dangerous and you never no what is waiting for you. I have done the trekking in day time and it is very difficult to climb one of the highest single rock mountain in Asia. You should have a good stamina if you are going to the top in one go. It is very steep after you reach the half way mark. You can keep the vehicles near the shops. But in night time there are chances that you will never find your vehicles when you come back. So morning at around 6am-7am if you start the trek then it is very good or else after 9am the sun hits the rock and the heat from the rock will make many go dizzy. I have climbed the mountain in 55min flat.
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Route wise you can take any route and reach there. Trekking in the night on Savandurga is STRICTLY NO. My friends tried this once and was very dangerous and you never no what is waiting for you. I have done the trekking in day time and it is very difficult to climb one of the highest single rock mountain in Asia. You should have a good stamina if you are going to the top in one go. It is very steep after you reach the half way mark. You can keep the vehicles near the shops. But in night time there are chances that you will never find your vehicles when you come back. So morning at around 6am-7am if you start the trek then it is very good or else after 9am the sun hits the rock and the heat from the rock will make many go dizzy. I have climbed the mountain in 55min flat.
I understand the difficulties, and more so because I have been there and done the night trek once, a few years ago. It was tough, yes, but not impossible. Did the climb, leisurely, in about 3 hours, and had a wonderful sight of the sunrise later on.
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhashnm View Post
Thanks a bunch, addyhemmige!

Given that I will be going for a night trek and will be going on this route later in the night, what are the chances of me getting lost? I might not find anyone on the road to ask for directions. Need I take a map along? Or are there sign boards along the way?
Even at night, you can find a way provided you take a map. I don't suppose there will be people at that time of the night. If you are going at night, you can take Magadi road. It will be easier and will not get lost, but it is a very big roundabout.

There are little or no signboards all along the route. there is a signboard at Manchanabele indicating direction to Savandurga. Getting to Manchanabele is a bit tricky if there is no one around to ask.
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:10   #7
BHPian

Thanks, addyhemmige! We might decide to take the NICE road all the way to Magadi road and then proceed from there.
Old 1st March 2010, 12:00   #8
BHPian

Did the hike on Friday night. An absolutely wonderful experience it was. Took the NICE Rd-Magadi Rd route and the roads were a dream.

Detailed write-up to follow in the travelogues section.
Old 28th December 2011, 13:26   #9
BHPian

Re: Trek at Savandurga – Conditions?

Hi All,

I am planning on going to Savandurga tomorrow morning. Need advice on the Mysore Road / Magadi road route. Also, I will be driving my Innova, so, request information on the condition of the roads and about the thoughts of taking my car on those roads.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers
Old 28th December 2011, 15:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomsun View Post
Hi All,

I am planning on going to Savandurga tomorrow morning. Need advice on the Mysore Road / Magadi road route. Also, I will be driving my Innova, so, request information on the condition of the roads and about the thoughts of taking my car on those roads.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers
Its been a while since I traveled anywhere near Savanadurga/Magadi. But I don't think it will be a problem for a vehicle like the Innova. The roads might have deteriorated compared to last year, but an Innova should be able to make it easily.

For the route, it would help if you told which side of Bangalore you are starting from. Magadi road is straight forward. Bangalore-Magadi-Savandurga. It should be around 10 kms from Magadi. You will have to take the road going to Ramanagar and again take a left after a few kms. There should be a board showing direction.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Its been a while since I traveled anywhere near Savanadurga/Magadi. But I don't think it will be a problem for a vehicle like the Innova. The roads might have deteriorated compared to last year, but an Innova should be able to make it easily.

For the route, it would help if you told which side of Bangalore you are starting from. Magadi road is straight forward. Bangalore-Magadi-Savandurga. It should be around 10 kms from Magadi. You will have to take the road going to Ramanagar and again take a left after a few kms. There should be a board showing direction.
Thank you so much for your suggestion. I did travel that day, and the route via Mysore road is in a bad state after the deviation from Manchanbele Dam. But the Magadi road route is perfectly fine.
Old 13th August 2018, 15:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
If you are coming from BTM, better take the Mysore road as the Magadi route is roundabout. From Mysore road, take the following route.

The roads are good all through to Savandurga except for a couple of kms between Chikkahalli & Manchanabele where the road is being re-laid.

I have not trekked Savandurga, but I have been to its base.
Reviving this thread to ask a question: how much will I miss out on, if I visit just the base without doing the trek?
Old 13th August 2018, 16:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

I suggest that you travel via Magadi Road, you will get the first glance of Savanadurga reaching Tavarekere, then seeing the hill top from Tippagondanahalli will definitely influence you to trek to the top. The recent rains has increased the greenery and ideal time to enjoy the view of Savanadurga will be around 6:30am. A shot of the hill top taken from Someshwara temple, Magadi using my phone yesterday morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Trek at Savandurga – Conditions?-savanadurga-someshwara-temple.jpg  

Last edited by deehunk : 13th August 2018 at 16:24.

Most Viewed