Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2010, 09:57   #46
Senior - BHPian

If you want to come to NH45 then what you could possibly do is from Udumalaipet come to Dharapuram - Karur - Musiri - cross over Cauvery and go on to Perambalur via Thuraiyur except for the culvert work the road is decent all the way upto Perambalur from the Cauvery Bridge. The road from Dharapuram to Karur is good as well.

From Perambalur you can join the 4 lane NH45. You save about 30 kms in the bargain.

The traffic between Karur and Musiri would be bad with some road widening work happening has well.
Old 21st April 2010, 10:55   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Well, I thought you ignored my comment. I assume you booked one already at Thekkady as well as Munnar. Let me know if that is not the case.
Hmm Yes, I booked with Olivebrook & Shamrock for Munnar.

Though I called up yesterday for Periyar House, I am still thinking is it worth to go to Thekkady now.

If we like Munnar, we might just end-up staying another night here itself. Need to take a gamble now.
Old 21st April 2010, 10:57   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Guys,

We are in Munnar now. Took the Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Theni-Munnar route. Both Trichy-Dindigul and the Theni-Munnar slow down a lot because of bad roads.

Planning to return via Munnar-Madurai-Trichy-Chennai.

Am i deviating too much ? Please shout.
How bad is Theni-Munnar? How long will this stretch take?
Old 21st April 2010, 10:59   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You also try the Udumalpet - Dharapuram - Kangeyam - Perindurai - Bhavani - Mettur - Thoppur - Krishanagiri - Vellor - Chennai.

Good roads all the way. Difference of about 40 Km.
How long will this route take? From Chennai ofcourse?

Recently from Coimbatore when we returned we went to Mettur. The roads are not as smooth as what we see at Vathalagundu. It still slows down. But are OK.

Is there an ooption to stick to the NH 4 lane road and take deviation at Perindurai, how long it will take from Perindurai to Munnar?
Old 21st April 2010, 11:35   #50
Senior - BHPian

Perundurai - Kangeyam - Dharapuram - Udumalaipet is decent 2 lane state highways. May be you will have to be careful while traversing through towns.

Alternatively you could go to Theni via Trichy, Viralimalai, Madurai, Andipatti this would mean you avoid the Trichy - Dindigul Stretch.

Periyar House is on the banks of the lake, its a Government property so may not be swanky, but its worth staying as its inside the forest. I suggest you don't skip it, considering that its summer the possibility of sighting animals on the lake banks is higher because the rest of the water bodies in the forests may not have enough water.

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 21st April 2010 at 11:37.
Old 21st April 2010, 11:43   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Perundurai - Kangeyam - Dharapuram - Udumalaipet is decent 2 lane state highways. May be you will have to be careful while traversing through towns.

Alternatively you could go to Theni via Trichy, Viralimalai, Madurai, Andipatti this would mean you avoid the Trichy - Dindigul Stretch.

Periyar House is on the banks of the lake, its a Government property so may not be swanky, but its worth staying as its inside the forest. I suggest you don't skip it, considering that its summer the possibility of sighting animals on the lake banks is higher because the rest of the water bodies in the forests may not have enough water.
Sure, that sounds good. But do we need to do a booking, we can go directly right? I am going on Tuesday only over there.
Old 21st April 2010, 12:42   #52
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you book in advance, because its summer time so why take a chance. I think you could book online through their central reservation system
Old 21st April 2010, 15:22   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
I suggest you book in advance, because its summer time so why take a chance. I think you could book online through their central reservation system
All hotels will be booked. In fact over-booked !
Better plan your stay before you start.
Old 28th April 2010, 10:40   #54
BHPian

Hey Bharani, did you return to chennai, which way, can you update?

We are leaving on Saturday early morning. Anyone else coming from this side or Bangalore?
Old 6th May 2010, 10:40   #55
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Just came back from Munnar & Thekkady trip. Will post the log later.

Route is Chennai-Trichy-Madurai-Theni-Munnar - All roads except the last 2 hr stretch in Kerala are smooth like butter.

Munnar-SH19-Thekkady - Great Green drive with smooth roads

Thekkady-Madurai-Trichy-Chennai - Absolutely Smooth & Thekkady to Madurai drive is very green and enjoyable.
Old 6th May 2010, 11:42   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
Route is Chennai-Trichy-Madurai-Theni-Munnar - All roads except the last 2 hr stretch in Kerala are smooth like butter.
How bad was the last 2hr stretch?
Old 6th May 2010, 11:50   #57
BHPian

Srikanth, I see a lot of travelogues from you after you got your "Shine". I guess "Shine" has been one of your major motivation to go on long drives as it did to me as well. Looking forward to your travelogue soon. The last one you posted on your kodai trip was really good.
Old 6th May 2010, 16:27   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujai View Post
How bad was the last 2hr stretch?
Its not as bad as Trichy-Dindigul stretch if you know how this is, road is there with a lot of patch work but not smooth. no harm to vehicle except you might get some queaks

Enjoy!!!
Old 6th May 2010, 16:30   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Srikanth, I see a lot of travelogues from you after you got your "Shine". I guess "Shine" has been one of your major motivation to go on long drives as it did to me as well. Looking forward to your travelogue soon. The last one you posted on your kodai trip was really good.
Thanks Gopi!!! Yes I had earlier Santro Xing & Alto, but hardly made any trips partly due to work pressure and host of other things

Shine is a magic thing happened to me at the right time, now i can spare some time off's and to top it off I just enjoy driving her

Most Viewed