Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2010, 08:51   #1
BHPian

Youth Hostels Association Membership

Well, this is not a travel or route question, but I couldn't find a more suitable place for this. Is anyone a member of this association?:: YOUTH HOSTELS ASSOCIATION OF INDIA :: Memberships
The rates for membership and stay are unbelievably low for a deal that includes food! What experiences do you have in any of their locations?
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:03   #2
BHPian

Yhai

@triedeverything, I have been a member of YHAI on and off since 1996. (whenever I remembered, I would take up a yearly membership.)

Over the years I have stayed in / used a couple of Youth hostels, in Delhi, Rishikesh, Bangalore & lastly in Ooty (During a trek to Mukurthi in Nov 2009).

YHs are a good option if you are in a group which is essentially looking for an absolutely no-frills place to freshen-up and sleep. (Accomodation in most YHs will be subject to availability and will normally be a dormitory with bunk-beds; though rooms are available in some locations.)

While the Delhi YH was of international standards (I stayed there in 1997), located in a post diplomatic area in Delhi, most of the other YHs may not be so great. A few are run by the association where as others are actually low budget guest houses that are affiliated with YHAI.

Basic food is available at most YHs (If you inform in advance.) else most prople just use the place to stay and go elsewhere to eat.

To summarize:
- YHs are recommended for basic accomodation if you are travelling on a very tight budget (You can check the list of places where there are hostels from their website.)
- Good for some of the treks / adventure activities conducted by various YH chapters.

Either you can take up the life-time membership, or take up an annual membership whenever you feel the need. You can also go and stay at YHs even if you have no membership. Either you can take up a membership on the spot (available only in some places like Delhi.) or you can pay at slightly higher rates.

Hostelling Intnl, with which YHAI is affiliated, has a number of YHs across the world which are good if you are on a backpacking tour etc. You can just book online via: Book Your HI Hostels with Hostelling International

A relative of mine has used many of these hostels across Europe while on a pan-EU budget trip. In some places hostels are good and located in a convenient area, in other places they may be quite out of the way. (No membership required for booking these Intnl YHs.)

Quote:
The rates for membership and stay are unbelievably low for a deal that includes food!
Yes, accomodation rates are quite low, but prices do not include cost of food. Food is charged extra.

Last edited by hotstuff : 3rd March 2010 at 10:10. Reason: Added info.
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:18   #3
BHPian

I was YHAI member for 2 years.
Went on one trek (12 days costed 2k including food and stay in tents). Most memorable vacation till now.

Once stayed in teh Ooty hostel. Took the family room. Very basic acco. But clean.

IMO, if hotels for you mean just places to go and sleep, yhai hostels are worth it.

Regards,
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:27   #4
BHPian

Thanks for that information. So when you say that you can stay there even if you are not a member, what advantages does membership bring? I sent a query like this to the email address mentioned on their website and I got 'half a reply' saying you need to be a member and that everyone using the accommodation needs to have membership. So if it is a family of 3 that includes a 2 year old baby, will each of us need the membership? Didn't make that much sense
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:48   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I have stayed in a Youth Hostel in Paris.

Booked through hihostels,
http://apps.facebook.com/hihostels/

Amazing VFM for no frills bed and breakfast. Bathrooms are not attached to the room and locker facilities are available for bags.

Check out the rates I paid in 2008,
3 Bed(s) in Dorm, Breakfast included
Subtotal: 66.00 EUR
5 % Deposit: 3.30 EUR
Pay on arrival: 62.70 EUR

My trick? I didn't even register with the YMCA or whatever then. Just told them that I forgot to bring the card and gave my freinds's registration number

BTW I don't think kids are allowed in youth hostels. I may be wrong but I really doubt.

Last edited by kiku007 : 3rd March 2010 at 12:49.
Old 3rd March 2010, 19:25   #6
BHPian

I am a member of Youth Hostels.
I am not sure whether non members can stay in the hostels but can surely say that the hostels are of decent standards.
It is a really nice group which organises trekking and family adventures for amazingly low prices.

For clarification will post a mail to youth hostels and check whether non members can stay as well.

Arun
Old 4th March 2010, 09:23   #7
BHPian

I tried sending a mail and have got one response so far. It only answers a few of the questions asked and follow up mail do not get any response.
Old 4th March 2010, 09:51   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
I tried sending a mail and have got one response so far. It only answers a few of the questions asked and follow up mail do not get any response.
Maybe they found out that you are not really a *youth*
Old 4th March 2010, 10:03   #9
BHPian

I'm not a member, but I have stayed in youth hostels at various places. You don't need to be a member to stay, but I think you get some advantages if you become one - I'm not sure of that though.

Of the places I have stayed at, the YH in Manali was absolutely fantastic (though quite a bit far away from Manali town - about 7km from the mall - on the Naggar road), and the one in Mysore was also really good.

My brother and cousin have been on treks organized by YHAI - the former to Thar desert and the latter to Sarpass in the Himalayas - and both of them are die-hard fans of YHAI. They say the trek arrangements were at par with the best they have seen, at a cost so cheap it is unbelievable.

In total, YHAI hostels and programs are the best VFM you can find.
Old 4th March 2010, 16:14   #10
BHPian

It's one of the best places to stay in for those with tighter budgets, the one i've experienced in Delhi was absolutely low cost and international standard one, though its been pretty long i've been to this YH, but i'm surely looking forward to check in soon.
Old 4th March 2010, 17:40   #11
BHPian

Some of their centers do not have a yes next to parking. Does that mean they don't have any space? From what I've learned so far, these are usually situated a little away from the city. Doesn't that make it easier to provide parking as well?
Old 5th May 2014, 00:18   #12
BHPian

YHAI - Youth Hostels Members and their experience of different hostels

I am myself a life member and have stayed in the hostels at Jaipur, Darjeeling, Kathmandu and Delhi, and I find it as a wonderful experience to meet like minded travellers

I think it is a wonderful alternative to the usual hotels

Can we have all youth hostel member share their experience of hostels all over the world
Old 9th June 2014, 12:02   #13
BHPian

Re: Youth Hostels Association Membership

Hi,

Any info about the availability of Youth Hostel in Srinagar, Planning for a visit in the month of July 2014

Most Viewed