Team-BHP - Pune - Indore - Gwalior - Kanpur - Allahabad - Varanasi - Hazaribagh - Ranchi : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Pune - Indore - Gwalior - Kanpur - Allahabad - Varanasi - Hazaribagh - Ranchi : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/77012-pune-indore-gwalior-kanpur-allahabad-varanasi-hazaribagh-ranchi-route-queries-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 1777030)
I regularly drive to Gwalior. You are between the devil and the deep sea in the Shivpuri - Gwalior - Kanpur stretch. You can come down NH25 from Shivpuri - Jhansi - Kanpur or do Shivpuri - Gwalior - Kanpur via either Jhansi (320km) or Etawah (270km). Kanpur-Jhansi on NH25 is still under construction and there are some really bad patches. Gwalior - Kanpur via Etawah has a really bad (I call it Tractorable) stretch between Gohad and Mehgaon on the run to Etawah. Etawah - Kanpur (160km) is great (NH2).

Surprised that the NH25 from NH2 towards Jhansi is still incomplete! Why do you think it is taking so long? When I went on that road in Apr 09, there was hectic construction activity, with that trajectory they should have completed it long ago!

I did not like the attitude of the cops in that stretch, they were trying to stop cars to harass and extort. Is that still a problem?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 1777030)
I regularly drive to Gwalior......

Thanks for the input(s).

I need all that anyone can contributeplease:.

I had meanwhile (based in HVK's suggestions) have asked somebody about the status of Shivpuri - Jhansi - Kanpur (HVK suggested that I miss out Gwalior and do Shivpuri - Jhansi - Kanpur visiting Orchha on the way) and was informed that this is now a wonderfull stretch of road and very do-able.
I am :confused:.

I guess that I will have to ask for a Re-confirmation.

Yesterday, a friend of mine drove from Bombay to Samstipur, and he took the Bombay-Udaipur-Shivpuri-Jhansi-Kanpur route. The road from Udaipur to Jhansi is fantastic. Kota bypass is still incomplete, but passage through the town is easy. All the bridges between Kota and Jhansi are also complete. As sgiitk mentions, it is only half the Jhansi-NH2 stretch that is not in good condition, but that is not a serious problem. Since you are covering Jhansi-Kanpur by day, you should have a smooth drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingshukt (Post 1772541)
Hi ALL.
I am proposing (My better half is still to give her final OK:)) to go to Ranchi - by road. We 3 will be travelling - Me, My wife and our 13 year daughter in the HOT months of May / June. The reason for travel in this period is availability of leaves / school holidays etc.
The reasoning for not considering the traditional Nagpur-Raipur-Rourkela-Ranchi is to avoid the Maoist-Naxal hotlands - since only 3 of us will be travelling.

I am therefore proposing the Pune -Indore-Gwalior-Kanpur-Allahabad-Varanasi-Ranchi route with the 1st stop / brief halt (maybe) at either
1. Burhanpur if I take this route to Indore or
2. Shivpuri national park (If i take this route to Indore)

I am unclear about the next stoppages though my knowledgeable friends have suggested stoppages at Gwalior, Kanpur and Varanasi

I propose travel only in the daytime with starts from the various overnight halts (preferably in reasonable big / secure - towns / cities )
The only exceptions will be when I start from Pune - I propose to start ~ 3:30AM / 4:00 AM
Since this is my 1st BIG road journey / trip I do not propose travel of more than 600 / 650 Km per day - I do not know whether I will be able to drive more considering the heat and my nerves (of travelling with 2 ladies - and no other help even for Punctures - God forbid:eek:)

I want this to be a trip to remember, taking in the smell and experiences of our India enroute AND I do NOT mind even if it takes 6 days to reach Ranchi.

I request / invite the experts especially HVK Sir to comment / suggest on the route(s), the alternates, halts

Hi.

I am residing in INDORE, do if you need help regarding travelling in MP then i am here:
1) There is no point in doing more than 450-500kms in a day, as than the journey will become a 'Desert Rally', you will not be able to enjoy.
2) Do Indore to Guna section via Bhopal it is safest route to Gwalior and road is 4 lane till Bhopal.
3) Starting from Pune take first halt at Indore or Bhopal. Bhopal is 200kms from Indore.
4) then Start from Indore or Bhopal to Allahabad via Gwalior.

That is done by me.(Indore-Allahabad stretch in daytime.):)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 1777175)
All the bridges between Kota and Jhansi are also complete. As sgiitk mentions, it is only half the Jhansi-NH2 stretch that is not in good condition,

Based on tentative Plan of stopping at Orchha for the night and then travelling with a view to halt at Allahabad - next, the road (as per Google Map - Google map does give us a ready reckoner of Indian Roads at the press of a button if if they given erratic results sometimes) as envisaged will be:
Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh, India to Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India - Google Maps

This will mean that we travel from Jhansi on NH25 (towards Kanpur) and turn right to take the NH2 at "Moosanagar", I hope that the name is correct, and travel along NH2 to Allahabad.

I am therefore not clear on your statement above (marked in BOLD). Can you please clarify ?please:

P.S: @ Mercedised: Thanks a lot. HVK's suggestion is better - we miss out Gwalior all toghether. Now the only concern is road condition for Jhansi - Allahabad section.

Tentative stops (overnight halts) planned are:
Day 1. Indore
Day 2. Orchha (via Shivpuri)
Day 3. Allahabad
Reach Ranchi on day 4

P.P.S: Do you suggest that I do Indore - Shivpuri - Orchha via Bhopal ?
OR should I will have to miss out of travelling thro Shivpuri and do Indore - Dewas - Bhopal - Orcha via Jhansi.

@kingshukt: My information is that about 30-40km on NH25 are still bad. (I have just confirmed from the local Taxiwallah).

As for NH25 the first stretch on the GQ to be taken up was Lucknow - Kanpur (again NH25 - after all Lucknow was the Royal Constituency). It is still unfinished!

When NH2 was being done I used to travel to Gwalior about 4-6 times a year via Jhansi as this was in a state. Then NH25 became bad and NH2 was done, I reverted to the Etawah route.

I will love to have a good route via Jhansi - EW corridor to Jhansi & NS Corridor to Gwalior. As for the cops I never had problems - may be I had UP plates. But then the region (Bhind as well as Shivpuri - Jhansi) are the notorious badlands, to be avoided in the dark.

do maoists/naxals have a say if you are travelling during day time and stopping at good hotels in big cities

i mean won't it be too long a route to take? i sure can understand when you are travelling with your family, but i was just curious on whether the situation is really that bad,

AFAIK Naxals/Maoists avoid good roads/day time/and towns teeming with people(tier2/1)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingshukt (Post 1777243)
P.S: @ Mercedised: Thanks a lot. HVK's suggestion is better - we miss out Gwalior all toghether. Now the only concern is road condition for Jhansi - Allahabad section.

Tentative stops (overnight halts) planned are:
Day 1. Indore
Day 2. Orchha (via Shivpuri)
Day 3. Allahabad
Reach Ranchi on day 4

P.P.S: Do you suggest that I do Indore - Shivpuri - Orchha via Bhopal ?
OR should I will have to miss out of travelling thro Shivpuri and do Indore - Dewas - Bhopal - Orcha via Jhansi.

If there is no plan for visiting Gwalior, then, there is no point in taking such a long route(even Jhansi) to Allahabad. Take the below mentioned route, if you feel worth. This route that i am mentioning is safer than the Gwalior or Orchha route:

Pune - Indore NH3 : 600kms (Leave at morning 6:00am & reach Indore at 6:00pm night) via NH3 In MP the road is excellent with 100kms of 4lane + some 40-50kms of a good 2 lane. HALT!!

Indore - Sagar (VIA Bhopal) NH86 : 400kms (Indore - Bhopal distance is 200kms and the whole road is 4 -lane with some patches of 4 lane to be completed but 80% of road is 4 lane. and it will take you 3.5hrs to cover 200kms distance if you drive at 100kmph) HALT!

Sagar - Allahabad (via chhaatarpur) NH86+NH76+NH2: 450kms HALT!

kepping shorter distances of 400-500kms will ensure that you have plenty of energy left for another day.
Recently i did a tour of 2500kms on my Tata Safari TCIC and there were 6 of our family members out of which only i knew to drive. So, i decided to cover everyday maximum of 400-500kms and this way i had enough energy to keep up with other members.:)

I agree that NH3 is in decent shape, but in the MH-MP border, the road is terrible for a few kms.

My information (from someone who travelled 2 months ago) is that the roads leading to/from Sagar are in bad shape.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 1778129)
I agree that NH3 is in decent shape, but in the MH-MP border, the road is terrible for a few kms.

My information (from someone who travelled 2 months ago) is that the roads leading to/from Sagar are in bad shape.

I did travelled to SHIRDI just a day before HOLI this month. And there was not even a single patch of road which was bad.

The road from Indore to Bhopal is 4 lane with some patches still in work.(20%)

Bhopal to Sagar road is good(drivable).

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercedised (Post 1777817)
If there is no plan for visiting Gwalior, then, there is no point in taking such a long route(even Jhansi) to Allahabad. Take the below mentioned route, if you feel worth. This route that i am mentioning is safer than the Gwalior or Orchha route:

Pune - Indore NH3 : 600kms (Leave at morning 6:00am & reach Indore at 6:00pm night) via NH3 In MP the road is excellent with 100kms of 4lane + some 40-50kms of a good 2 lane. HALT!!

Indore - Sagar (VIA Bhopal) NH86 : 400kms (Indore - Bhopal distance is 200kms and the whole road is 4 -lane with some patches of 4 lane to be completed but 80% of road is 4 lane. and it will take you 3.5hrs to cover 200kms distance if you drive at 100kmph) HALT!

Sagar - Allahabad (via chhaatarpur) NH86+NH76+NH2: 450kms HALT!

kepping shorter distances of 400-500kms will ensure that you have plenty of energy left for another day.
Recently i did a tour of 2500kms on my Tata Safari TCIC and there were 6 of our family members out of which only i knew to drive. So, i decided to cover everyday maximum of 400-500kms and this way i had enough energy to keep up with other members.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 1778129)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercedised (Post 1778148)
I did travelled to SHIRDI just a day before HOLI this month. And there was not even a single patch of road which was bad.

The road from Indore to Bhopal is 4 lane with some patches still in work.(20%)

Bhopal to Sagar road is good(drivable).

@Mercedised: The route seems to be interesting. You also mentioned that it is safer (than Orchha route)

A few obvious queries:
1. Why do you say that the Orchaha route is unsafe (in comparision to your new route)
2. Is support available on these roads for any untoward incident (:eek:) or mundane things like food, puncture repair etc.
3. One of the reasons that I have been contemplating the Orchha/Shivpuri route is that we see the country (or whatever possible) on the way, and I can try to emulate HVKji in driving across the country- LOL. If we wanted to reach Ranchi at the earliest & in comfort, Train / Plane would be preferred (and the home ministry the most happiest))The logic is not to reach Ranchi at the earliest.
Does your route have something to offer?
4. Your suggestion also means that I will be travelling ~ 550 Km on the last leg to Ranchi thro' the very busy Allahabad - Varanasi sector. This will make me loose time and will hence have to do the Barhi - Ranchi sector towards the last part of the day. This sector as per suggestions should be tackled towards the mid day till 3 PM (for security reasons)

I hope that I am NOT asking too many questions but security and "Desh Brahman" are 2 very important aspects that is leading me towards this journey.

@HVK Sir: I would certainly appreciate your comments on Mercedised's route plan - and I hope that Mercedised would not take umbrage at my request for a second opinion.

P.S: Wifey is showing some interest and asking questions (mainly related to the route). She asked the distsnce from Kanpur to Lucknow - the reasoning being Lucknow chicken work sarees.clap:. Lucknow is ~ 100 Km from Kanpur. Me very happy - chances of the trip happening has increased

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingshukt (Post 1778236)
@Mercedised: The route seems to be interesting. You also mentioned that it is safer (than Orchha route)

A few obvious queries:
1. Why do you say that the Orchaha route is unsafe (in comparision to your new route)
2. Is support available on these roads for any untoward incident (:eek:) or mundane things like food, puncture repair etc.
3. One of the reasons that I have been contemplating the Orchha/Shivpuri route is that we see the country (or whatever possible) on the way, and I can try to emulate HVKji in driving across the country- LOL. If we wanted to reach Ranchi at the earliest & in comfort, Train / Plane would be preferred (and the home ministry the most happiest))The logic is not to reach Ranchi at the earliest.
Does your route have something to offer?
4. Your suggestion also means that I will be travelling ~ 550 Km on the last leg to Ranchi thro' the very busy Allahabad - Varanasi sector. This will make me loose time and will hence have to do the Barhi - Ranchi sector towards the last part of the day. This sector as per suggestions should be tackled towards the mid day till 3 PM (for security reasons)

I hope that I am NOT asking too many questions but security and "Desh Brahman" are 2 very important aspects that is leading me towards this journey.

@HVK Sir: I would certainly appreciate your comments on Mercedised's route plan - and I hope that Mercedised would not take umbrage at my request for a second opinion.

P.S: Wifey is showing some interest and asking questions (mainly related to the route). She asked the distsnce from Kanpur to Lucknow - the reasoning being Lucknow chicken work sarees.clap:. Lucknow is ~ 100 Km from Kanpur. Me very happy - chances of the trip happening has increased

Arrey NO PROBLEM's yaar. I will not feel BAD anytime. :)

About that SHIVPURI route being unsafe my explanation is below:
"That route is believed to be Dangerous at nights, but in day time its safe."

Bhopal - Sagar:

"That route is used mostly by Car's, trucks,... and is not known as BAD route even at night. I personally have gone to Sagar and that was the reason i suggested you that route."

for 3rd point:

"I didnot took Allahabad-Ranchi section into consideration as i have not done that route till now and so i suggested a plan uptill Allahabad"

Anyways, No matter which route you take always STOP!! travelling @5-6pm at evenings. Do wake up early and leave at 6:00am striclty so that everything goes in a smooth and systematic manner.
But, do take the route which you feel is the best. because this way you will be better prepared. Donot change plan at the end, just fix up a plan and stick onto it strictly.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercedised (Post 1778320)
Anyways, No matter which route you take always STOP!! travelling @5-6pm at evenings. Do wake up early and leave at 6:00am striclty so that everything goes in a smooth and systematic manner.
But, do take the route which you feel is the best. because this way you will be better prepared. Donot change plan at the end, just fix up a plan and stick onto it strictly.:)

Thanks a lot.

Your suggestion as quoted above is very logical and correct.

I plan to finalize the Pune - Ranchi plan by month end - 1st week of April, and will then start working / thinking on the return route.

All your encouragements are like God-send. For me this is the biggest project that I have undertaken.

In fact wifey, sat with me, yesterday, and went thro' this thread along with me. This was the 1st time that she read anything on Team-BHP. I think that TBHP made quite an impression, as her earlier understanding was that "we were just a bunch of crazy people whose life revolved round cars":D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingshukt (Post 1778683)
Thanks a lot.

Your suggestion as quoted above is very logical and correct.

I plan to finalize the Pune - Ranchi plan by month end - 1st week of April, and will then start working / thinking on the return route.

All your encouragements are like God-send. For me this is the biggest project that I have undertaken.

In fact wifey, sat with me, yesterday, and went thro' this thread along with me. This was the 1st time that she read anything on Team-BHP. I think that TBHP made quite an impression, as her earlier understanding was that "we were just a bunch of crazy people whose life revolved round cars":D.

look at below map.
Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India to Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India - Google Maps

Places to visit:

Sagar-Chattarpur road : khajuraho

Chattarpur-satna : Maa Sharda mandir(excellent)

and some more places i will tell later have got to go to office.:)

Kingshukt,

I have just gone through your whole thread just now.

You have 4 routes: 3 suggested by HVK sir + a modified version suggested by mercendised via Bhopal-Sagar-Chattarpur.

As someone who have driven a Safari 2.2 very recently on parts of routes suggested here, my opinion is:

1. Route option 1 is certainly advised to be ruled out bec. of Maoist factor.

2. If some possible sight seeing en route was not in your plans, then route 2 via Nagpur, Jabalpur, Katni, Varansi..is best, and if you follow Gurus's advise, he already chalked out the route plan and distance coverage in such a way that'll lend you in Ranchi on Day 2 late night itself!:eek:, but then, one has to follow his displine and schedule of early starts and minimal breaks, etc. I know that is not your purpose of this trip.

3. As it is clear that your purpose is a leisure drive with sight-seeing, option 3 and 4 are open to you. Route 4 will be shorter then 3, only rough patches you'll encounter will be on NH 86 (Sagar - Chhatarpur section), though I have not traveled on this stretch. NH 86 is pathetic between Chattarpur and Kanpur stretch (I took it for Khajuraho from Lucknow in Oct 2009). Actually, it was relaid. So we encountered pathces of new smooth tarmac, broken road with potholes, under construction road with stoness and dust, etc. But, some parts must have been completed in 4 months since then.

So, if you have not been to Khajuraho and it attracts you, you can opt option 4.

4. If dont mind a lengthy route and wants to include the City of Nawabs and Chikan, then you are most welcome here, another Safari 2.2 will welcome you here, and off course, its riders too!:).

Kanpur-Lucknow is 80 kms only. From here you need not to go back to kanpur, instead, you can go to Allahabad directly, and even dont need to enter Allahabad city, that 45 kms new bypass will take you directly to Varansi via GQ. Lucknow to Varansi is 280 kms.

5. You can even mix route 3 & 4!. (Route 4) Indore-Bhopal-sagar-Chatarpur-Khajuraho - (NH 86) Mahoba - Hamirpur - (NH 25) Kanpur- Lucknow - Allahabad - Varansi. (Only if you want to visit Lucknow, otherwise directly to Varansi from Khajuraho via route 4). Khajuraho to Lucknow is 290 kms via NH 86 (shortest, but some bad patches of roads).

6. Jhansi - Kanpur stretch is already discussed by HVK sir and sgiitk. Its 4 laning is yet to complete, but is doable during day time, as lot of stretches have been done.

However, it is very problematic in night due to many diversions due to incomplete work. We did Jhansi - Kanpur on Jan 2 in night during our return journey from Mumbai. It was almost 0 visibility dense fog till Bhognipur (i.e during the incomplete stretch!), and as can be imagined, it was a nightmare!

No saftey issues on these routes.

Good to know that your wifey taking interest in T-BHP and route planning etc,! It will be good for your future driving trips too!

PS: If you choose route via Kanpur, then it makes more sense to include/cover Lucknow too, else, you can go directly either via NH 7 Nagpur - Jabalpur, or via Chhatarpur- Rewa- Varansi. Otherwise, no need to make it longer via Kanpur.