Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2010, 10:14   #91
BANNED

Google maps are dodgy at best but a help. Quite likely the map info was from before the bypass came up.

I was in Uttatakhand - the GMaps did not have the Bhimtal-Bhowali road (ages old road) and wanted me to go down frm Bhimtal to Kathgodam (railhead) and then come up again via Nainital. This became criticasl since most places Bageshwar, Almora, Kausani etc. all connect through Bhowali!
Old 27th April 2010, 10:22   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Google maps are dodgy at best but a help. Quite likely the map info was from before the bypass came up.

I was in Uttatakhand - the GMaps did not have the Bhimtal-Bhowali road (ages old road) and wanted me to go down frm Bhimtal to Kathgodam (railhead) and then come up again via Nainital. This became criticasl since most places Bageshwar, Almora, Kausani etc. all connect through Bhowali!
Thanks sgiitk.

In any case I plan to stop at Allahabad, unless I find a better reason to bypass it in favour of Kanpur.
I will have to ask around for the bypass details in case we decide to bypass Allahabad in favour of Kanpur

HVK: Your comments requested on bypassing Allahabad in favour of Kanpur....

Last edited by kingshukt : 27th April 2010 at 10:24.
Old 27th April 2010, 10:28   #93
Senior - BHPian

If I am running on time (before 5 pm) approaching Allahabad, I would prefer to take the wonderful Allahabadd bypass and drive on straight to Kanpur fr the overnight halt. Will make your next day easier and give you more time to spend in Agra.

No problem with getting onto the bypass, the 4 lane road continues straight onto teh bypass, it is the road leading into the city which will be difficult to find
Old 27th April 2010, 10:38   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
If I am running on time (before 5 pm) approaching Allahabad, I would prefer to take the wonderful Allahabadd bypass and drive on straight to Kanpur fr the overnight halt. Will make your next day easier and give you more time to spend in Agra.

No problem with getting onto the bypass, the 4 lane road continues straight onto teh bypass, it is the road leading into the city which will be difficult to find
Very sound Logic.

I "thought" that since we reach Agra well before sundown (as per original Plan) and the Agra Hotel that I have shortlisted is "walking" distance from the Taj I would have a eveing dekko at the Taj before retiring.
If we reach Agra ~ 2-3PM (if we halt at Kanpur) we can theoritically finish the Taj in the afternoon / evening leaving the next day for Agra fort etc.

I will mark it and take a decision after we Kolkata. This way I will have a 1st hand knowledge of NH2 and can decided whether I can reach Allahabad before 5PM

Thanks

-K
Old 9th February 2014, 09:22   #95
BHPian

re: Pune - Indore - Gwalior - Kanpur - Allahabad - Varanasi - Hazaribagh - Ranchi : Route Queries

I am planning a trip by road from Pune to Allahabad - Varanasi and back. Things must have changed between 2010 and 2014 and am planning to leave 23 Feb 2014. Hope to see places en route (with interest in historical places). travelling with my son - in his twenties.

My plan is Pune -Indore - Dewas - Bhopal - Sagar - Bithoor (want to visit) - Allahabad (stop) - Varanasi (onward route).
Return via Rewa - Jabalpur - Nagpur -Amravati - Aurangabad - Pune.

Please send in your suggestions!
Old 10th February 2014, 05:44   #96
Team-BHP Support

re: Pune - Indore - Gwalior - Kanpur - Allahabad - Varanasi - Hazaribagh - Ranchi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
Please send in your suggestions!
See this log. Comes very close to what you plan to do :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...r-pradesh.html
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 10:42   #97
BHPian

Thanks!

I had heard in one of HVK's posts that beyond Bhopal and beyond Jabalpur roads are bad and thre for Jabalpur and Bhopal should be avoided. Looking for recent info on this.
Old 10th February 2014, 10:50   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks!

I had heard in one of HVK's posts that beyond Bhopal and beyond Jabalpur roads are bad and thre for Jabalpur and Bhopal should be avoided. Looking for recent info on this.
That's actually true. Not a good idea to take your Honda City through that torture.

The other option is :

Indore-Ratlam-Chittorh-Kota-Shivpuri-Jhansi-Kanpur.

In fact I think that would be the best. Check with HVK too.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 11:05   #99
BHPian

That is an idea I was toying with since I wanted to go thro the Mukandara pass at some point of time. Also from Kota one gets good roads to Kanpur and again to Varanasi. While returning from Varanasi (and seeing Sarnath, Ramnagar and Chunar fort) I am back to finding how to avoid the roads on the eastern side around Jabalpur. Coming back via Kota is too long and repetitive.
Old 10th February 2014, 11:28   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That is an idea I was toying with since I wanted to go thro the Mukandara pass at some point of time. Also from Kota one gets good roads to Kanpur and again to Varanasi. While returning from Varanasi (and seeing Sarnath, Ramnagar and Chunar fort) I am back to finding how to avoid the roads on the eastern side around Jabalpur. Coming back via Kota is too long and repetitive.
I think Varanasi-Allahabad-Rewa-Maihar-Jabalpur is OK.

Even Jabalpur-Damoh-Sagar is good. The only problem is Sagar-Bhopal. Dont know about that. For places, you should also Bhedhaghat.

Ref :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3250860

Bhopal-Indore is now a 4-lane.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3185204
Old 14th March 2014, 07:01   #101

A friend wants to know the present condition of NH 3 between indore and gwalior. He will be with his family in his duster and will depart mumbai today evening.
Those who have been on that route lately please help.
Old 14th March 2014, 10:43   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree83 View Post
A friend wants to know the present condition of NH 3 between indore and gwalior. He will be with his family in his duster and will depart mumbai today evening.
Those who have been on that route lately please help.
Indore-Dewas-Biaora-Guna-Shivpuri is the worst road in India today. Avoid at any cost.

Instead, take the Dhule-Dhamnod-Manpur-Lebad (to completely avoid Indore)-Ratlam-Neemuch-Chittorgarh-Kota-Shivpri-Gwalior route. Much more longer, but you will arrive with your sanity intact
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 11:40   #103
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Is there any update on the road condition of NH86 between Sanchi-Khajuraho via sagar?
or it is better to go through Vidisha-Bina-Tikramgarh-Chattarpur-Khajuraho?
Old 9th April 2014, 19:01   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Indore-Dewas-Biaora-Guna-Shivpuri is the worst road in India today. Avoid at any cost.
I drove this stretch in late 2012 and as I understand this route is being 4-laned (part of NH3). It wasn;t that bad back then but you had to be always be wary of a pothole coming up! So yeah, in that sense it is avoidable because it is not at all relaxing to drive on this stretch. I reckon conditions have only gotten worse since then.
Old 9th April 2014, 21:12   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Is there any update on the road condition of NH86 between Sanchi-Khajuraho via sagar?
or it is better to go through Vidisha-Bina-Tikramgarh-Chattarpur-Khajuraho?
I think it is better to go from Sagar via Damoh to Panna & Khajuraho

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
I drove this stretch in late 2012 and as I understand this route is being 4-laned (part of NH3). It wasn;t that bad back then but you had to be always be wary of a pothole coming up! So yeah, in that sense it is avoidable because it is not at all relaxing to drive on this stretch. I reckon conditions have only gotten worse since then.
It is as bad as ever, especially south of Shivpuri. Even if one truck breaks down, the road gets jammed too. Overall an unpleasant road to take.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks