Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2005, 13:15   #1

Validity of return toll ticket

For how many days / hours / times is a return toll ticket valid?
CeeCee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2005, 13:52   #2
BHPian

I am not totaly sure but it generally is 24 hrs or th midnight of that day...also it may depend on how big the toll section is?
Old 19th January 2012, 17:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Validity of return toll ticket

IMO a very valid thread. The elevated toll road on Hosur road earlier used to have the validity of a day pass for 24 hours but later changed it to the calender day thereby increasing their revenues literally overnight. Though most of the toll roads do have 24 hour validity some of these change rules as per their whims on account of their monopoly. Not sure what is the stand of NHAI on the validity of toll tickets.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 18:00   #4
Team-BHP Support

Mods Note: Thread moved to Route / Travel Queries.
Old 19th January 2012, 18:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Most of the tolls on the NH4 (Maharashtra side) have a validity period till midnight of that particular day. Also, the return is valid only for 1 run. Basically, you cant be going to and fro through the toll on umpteen times in a given day.

I suppose, thats the norm on all NH's in India. Leaving the E-ways out of the equation here. They have their own tolls too, which are valid for 1 run only.
Old 19th January 2012, 18:18   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

AFAIK - a ticket purchased on a date expires on that date, meaning at 12 midnight.

However any ticket purchased after 10pm is valid until midnight of the next day (meaning 26 hour validity)

This is to the best of my knowledge and in MH.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 18:28   #7
BHPian

The validity of a Toll Ticket (multiple entry) depends upon the type of Toll Booth.

On NH1 (between Delhi - Jalandhar) toll booths , the multiple entry tickets are valid for the next 24 hours i.e. ticket purchased at 10:00 AM today will be valid until 10:00 AM tomorrow.

There are few (don't remember the exact locations) toll plazas where the multiple entry ticket is valid until the midnight of the same day itself whereas few (like Panipat) don't even offer / support the Multiple Entry tickets.

EDIT: Toll Multiple Entry valid until 12 midnight

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 19th January 2012 at 18:34.
Old 19th January 2012, 18:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

All Tolls in Tamil Nadu highways (chn-Blr, CHN-Pondy etc) are valid till midnight only, irrespective of when purchased, for a single trip. The same goes for toll roads like the Perungalathur - Ambattur bye pass also.

O.T.

Can someone please explain why there is a validity for the return toll. I mean what does the tolling authority gain if i come back the same day or what does he loose, if i come back the next day or even after a week ? Ideally there should not be any timeline for a return toll or at least a realistic timeline like a month.

example if the one way toll is 50 and return toll is 100/- and i am ready to pay 100 on my onward trip itself, the authorities already have got my money, why should they restrict the time when i should return. On the other hand, it would save me time as i need to just flash the receipt and not wait for change / pay money etc on my return and secondly, if I lose the receipt, by logic i would pay again, whereby the authority is benefit.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 19th January 2012 at 18:54.
Old 19th January 2012, 18:44   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

General summarization: 12 midnight on the day it has been purchased. For anything longer, explore the option of passes.
Old 19th January 2012, 18:52   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Ideally there should not be any timeline for a return toll or at least a realistic timeline like a month.
Eg: Toll one-way is Rs 15/-. Return is 25/-. If you are coming back after a month, will you still safely keep the toll ticket till you are back ? How many people will ? Most people will buy a one-way toll in such situations.

Suppose you are going to cross many such toll booths, Will you take the effort to keep all these in a sequence, and then search & hand over the correct toll ticket on your return ? How many people will ?

Like others have said, most places - and many abroad too - have a same day validity / 24 hour validity. Or like Sam said, tickets bought after 10 pm are valid through the next day.

Also, is the toll ticket a return (2-way) or a Multiple entry ? Validity will again depend on this.
Old 19th January 2012, 18:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All Tolls in Tamil Nadu highways (chn-Blr, CHN-Pondy etc) are valid till midnight only, irrespective of when purchased, for a single trip.
Not true! I've done MAS-BLR-MAS and MAS-TPJ-MAS, both are 24-hour validity. Infact I had to buy a toll at Thoppur on NH7 for just missing out the 24-hour limit.

Its just BETL near Bangalore that is midnight.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 19:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
General summarization: 12 midnight on the day it has been purchased. For anything longer, explore the option of passes.
Passes may not be viable to one-time travellers. If i am going from Chennai - Mysore, once in a year, it would not benefit me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Eg: Toll one-way is Rs 15/-. Return is 25/-. If you are coming back after a month, will you still safely keep the toll ticket till you are back ? How many people will ?

Also, is the toll ticket a return (2-way) or a Multiple entry ? Validity will again depend on this.
Well, If i am doing say a Chennai - Yelagiri trip, there are 3/4 tolls. I can keep them safely. Secondly, whether people keep it safely or not is another debate, but at least provide the option to those who can keep it safely. If people buy a return toll and lose the receipt, anyway by logic, the person would pay again, which is only benefitial to the tolling authority.

At the very least, i have the confidence i can keep the toll receipts in order. it is a no brainer. Just keep the toll receipts on top of the previous receipts and as you drive back, just keep handing over the receipt from top.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 19th January 2012 at 19:17.
Old 22nd January 2012, 23:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At the very least, i have the confidence i can keep the toll receipts in order. it is a no brainer. Just keep the toll receipts on top of the previous receipts and as you drive back, just keep handing over the receipt from top.
its just one more way of making money.Dont bother looking for reasons where there arent any.by the same logic we shouldnt be paying toll considerig the exorbitant road taxes and cess that we keep paying on every ounce of fuel that we fill in.
Old 23rd January 2012, 10:11   #14
J.Ravi

I have done many one-day Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore and Bangalore-Pondy-Bangalore trips when I used to pay toll in advance for multiple trips which is valid for 24 hours irrespective of time of passing that toll plaza [except Attibele and BETL which expire at 12 midnight]. Many times when there is no queue, I experienced that while entering the toll plaza, as I keep the toll receipt on my extended right hand outside the window, I used to get the signal to proceed without stopping after they check their computer for the registration number of my Linea.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 23rd January 2012 at 10:20.

Old 23rd January 2012, 12:10   #15
BHPian

we recently went till Vellore and returned. The Route and the toll ticket validity details(we bought return ticket in all tolls)
Electronic City(Toll plaza -- validity till 11.59Pm same day)
Next toll immediately after electronic city toll plaza(validity till 11.59Pm same day)
rest of the toll booth the validity is 24 hours from the time of purchase.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks