Team-BHP - Mumbai to Badami, Hampi and Thrissur
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Mumbai to Badami, Hampi and Thrissur (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/77465-mumbai-badami-hampi-thrissur.html)

Hi to all..
I am planning a trip to Badami and Hampi in May. Prefer to go to Belgaum via Pune - Bangalore highway and then turn off to Badami. From Badami will be going to Hampi - so the route should be the Bellary road I suppose to reach Hospet. Regarding the turn off at Belgaum - I have seen the road to Belgaum city going off to the right from the Pune-Bangalore highway. But the maps show that the road to Badami is towards the left. So is there a turn-off earlier to Badami along the Belgaum by-pass road?
Further, from Hampi I plan to travel to Belur, Halebid. The highways on the maps seem to be upto Chitradurga via Bellary. After that it seems that I will have to take internal roads. And finally from Belur, Halebid I have to travel to Thrissur. For this the route seems to be Hassan-Mysore-Mananthawadi-Thrissur. In between, happened to hear some road travel restrictions between Karnataka and Kerala. And hope my WagonR will withstand the heat and dust of the journey!:)
Request veterans here for their feedback.
Regards
Thomas

1. For Hampi you need to break at Hubli towards Hospet.

2. For Belur/Halebid you can either take diversion either at Chitradurga or come all the way till Tumkur and divert. (Not sure which one is shorter. HVK will answer better)

3. For Trichur the route is Hassan -> Mysore -> Gundlupet -> Bandipur -> Gudalur -> Nilambur -> Melatoor -> Perinthalmanna -> Pattambi -> Guruvayur -> Thrichur.
(Bandipur to Perrimthalmanna are twisty ghat roads and traffic is closed in Bandipur forest at night).

You have 2 choices if you go on NH4.
The first route, You can turn off NH4 from the Belgaum bypass itself - to the LEFT - towards Bagalkot and go to Badami/Aihole/Pattadkal. The left turn is immediately after crossing Belgaum (after Sankam Residency hotel), Watch out for the service road since you have to go under to go left (the straight road to Hubli on NH4 is over a flyover).

The second route, you can turn off NH4 at Hattargi itself between Kolhapur and Belgaum, and go via Hidkal Dam to Gokak and Bagalkot.

For Hospet, ou will have to take NH13 from Hungund, and the same NH13 to Chitradurga. However, please be cautioned that NH13 is in bad shape. You can save some bad sections if you turn off NH13 at Kudligi (st of Hospet), go to Ramapura and then take the excellent state highway via Challakere to Hiriyur (south of Chitradurga) on NH4. If you choose this route, then link up with NH13 at Chitradurga and go to Shimoga via Chanagiri and Hollalkere.

Alternatively, of several routes to get to Belur-Halebid, I can suggest you take the route via Shimoga directly from Hospet. This would mean coming from Hospet on NH13 to Kudligi, then connecting with Harihar on NH4, go via Honnali to Shimoga; from there via Tarikere and Chickmagalur to Belur/Halebid.

I would not suggest you take the Mysore-Manathwadi route to Trissur - that road is in a bad shape in the KA-KL border. Instead, from Belur, go via Hassan, Hole Narsipur to Mysore, take the city bypass and proceed to Trissur via Nanjangud (Ooty road), Gundulpet, Gudalur and Nilambur to Trissur. The road from Gundulpet to TN border is closed between 9 pm and 6 am.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 1783837)
1. For Hampi you need to break at Hubli towards Hospet.

2. For Belur/Halebid you can either take diversion either at Chitradurga or come all the way till Tumkur and divert. (Not sure which one is shorter. HVK will answer better)

3. For Trichur the route is Hassan -> Mysore -> Gundlupet -> Bandipur -> Gudalur -> Nilambur -> Melatoor -> Perinthalmanna -> Pattambi -> Guruvayur -> Thrichur.
(Bandipur to Perrimthalmanna are twisty ghat roads and traffic is closed in Bandipur forest at night).

ampere and I are on the same bandwidth on the route! You can go via Harihar (Honnali-Shimoga-Bhadravati-Belur), Chitradurga (Hollakere-Chanagiri-Bhadravati-Belur) or via Tumkur (Kibbenahalli Cross-Tiptur).

@thomman
Sorry I missed the part that you were going to Badami first and not Hampi.

Check with MX6 on his recent travel on Hassan Holenarsipur Mysore stretch. It is in a very good state today.

HVK sir thanks for setting it right!

Mx6 said the road from Hassan to Mysore is in very good condition.

Hi ampere and hvkumar,

Special thanks to hvkumar for your excellent guidance on the route to take.
Really appreciate your effort. clap:I am taking a printout of the route suggested by you to follow while I will be leaving :-)
Just another query - the route off NH4 to Badami - route 1 via Bagalkot OR route 2 via Hidkal dam, Gokak - which one offers more scenery - I want to take photographs on the way :-) so pls let me know your opinion.
Regards and thanks
Thomas

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomman (Post 1794901)
Just another query - the route off NH4 to Badami - route 1 via Bagalkot OR route 2 via Hidkal dam, Gokak - which one offers more scenery - I want to take photographs on the way :-) so pls let me know your opinion.
Regards and thanks
Thomas

I don't think there is much to choose from!

Hi Fellow BHPians

Am going on a summer road trip to the places mentioned. Intend staying for 2 days at Badami, 2 at Hampi and 2 at Dandeli. Wanted advise from those familiar with these places and routes if I have planned the route and duration right. Also would appreciate if stay options can be suggested.

Thanks and Regards

Routes :

Mumbai-Badami :
Mumbai-Pune-Kolhapur-Nippani-Sankeshwar-Gokak-Yergatti-Ramdurg-Badami

- 4-lane roads till Sankeshwar.
- Get into the town and take teh Gokak road. You can visit Gokak on the way
- Take the SH via Ramdurg to Badami

Badaami-Hampi : Badami-Nargund-Gagdag-Hospet/Hampi

- Roads can be a bit patchy here. Not sure.

Hampi-Dandeli : Hampi/Hospet-Gadag-Hubli-Haliyal-Dandeli

- NH63 to Hubli.
- Take NH4 bypass.
- But please note this bypass has to exit for Dandel, but for mud road which connects to Dandeli SH.
- If you miss it, take the exit (called Alnavar exit). But drive towards Darwad and then ask for directions to Haliyal road/Dandeli road.

Thank you Ampere. Thats a lot of info for me to plan ahead. Will look up Google maps for the distances and probable travel time.

Would anyone know if 2 days at Badami ad 2 days at Hampi would be enough to see the Historical sites. Intend to cover even the Daroji Sloth Bear Reserve near Hampi. And would another 2 day serve me right at Dandeli?

Any stay options please:

Thanks and Regards

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travel4Ever (Post 3410492)
Would anyone know if 2 days at Badami ad 2 days at Hampi would be enough to see the Historical sites. Intend to cover even the Daroji Sloth Bear Reserve near Hampi. And would another 2 day serve me right at Dandeli?

I would say plan two nights at these places. So that you get at least 3 days or two full days.

Quote:

Any stay options please:
Badami : No Idea. But you should check this excellent TL by @luke
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...itage-run.html

Hampi :
Its better to stay in Hospet. Hotel Malligi is the default place there. If you want to splurge, then Royal Orchid.

Dandeli:
JLR (Jungle Lodges) has a property. I think the most suitable.

I assume you would reach badami late evening and you could book a room at the KSTDC hotel there. It is a nice place and you can book through karnatakaholidays.net. The caves are open from 6 in the morning and an early morning visit is the best considering the heat. After breakfast, proceed to the museum across agasthya lake and you get to see a host of temples including bhuthanatha temple. This area is very picturesque and you could spend time till lunch. You can have lunch at the hotel or have quite a few options in the town or could try the traditional and authentic "khanawalla" which serves North Karnataka food.

After lunch and rest you can visit nearby temples - mahakoota and banshankri temple.

Have an early breakfast next day and proceed to pattadkal and aihole and you could finish well before lunch. Proceed to Hampi and have lunch enroute.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travel4Ever (Post 3409447)
Hi Fellow BHPians

Am going on a summer road trip to the places mentioned. Intend staying for 2 days at Badami, 2 at Hampi and 2 at Dandeli. Wanted advise from those familiar with these places and routes if I have planned the route and duration right. Also would appreciate if stay options can be suggested.

Thanks and Regards

Please factor in the fact that Hampi is going to be super hot now and the rocks would be red hot:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjitp1 (Post 3415486)
Please factor in the fact that Hampi is going to be super hot now and the rocks would be red hot:)

Thanks Ranjit. That and similar opinions from other friends forced me to change my travel plans. now will do Hampi and Badami in the Monsoon. Now in May, will just travel to Dandeli and thereabout. Have booked in JLR OMH. Thanks a lot for all your suggestions and advice.