Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2010, 16:43   #1
BHPian

Good destination around Delhi with decent roads and less tiring?

Hi all. I'm planning to go to some good place around Delhi in may to celebrate my wedding anniversary. I would request members to share their ideas about places about 350 kms around Delhi with decent roads where one can drive without being tired too much. Also i want to enjoy a good drive on my Cedia because i haven't taken her out for a long spin since i bought her a month ago.

Please suggest in accordance with the fact that along with me and my wife our litlle son too would be with us who would be 9 months old in May. he is the main reason i want to avoid places with extremely high altitude or tiresome roads since our progress would be anyways slower than normal due to speed restrictions and a few extra stops.

trip time - Last week of may
Car - Mitsubishi Cedia Sports
Old 15th March 2010, 16:47   #2
BHPian

Neemrana
Kuchesar Mud Fort
Fort Unchagaon

\N
Old 15th March 2010, 16:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

A place with momentum of love called Taj i.e. Agra - roads are less tiring, straight forward route, good roads.

Would had recommended Jaipur without a blink, but somehow roads aren't into very good shape due to ongoing construction work.

Best of luck buddy
Old 15th March 2010, 16:56   #4
BHPian

Ntomer - Thansk for the suggestions. Will google the one 'm not completely aware about

ashthdivx - Thanks for the suggestion. I belong to Jaipur and visit frequently so it was anyways out of my list for a holiday

Agra is a good destination but it would be scorching hot in north in May and have already been to Agra many times. Could anyone please suggest some hill stations which check my requirements?
Old 15th March 2010, 16:59   #5
BHPian

You can go to Shimla / Kasauli / Chail. They are within 350kms from Delhi. Roads are pretty good. Weather won't be much of an issue even in May.
Old 15th March 2010, 17:01   #6
Team-BHP Support

End of may any of the Rajasthan forts are a very bad idea. 40 degree temperatures are not nice, trust me!
So your only destination is in the hills.
If you want to stick to 350kms you can head to any of the numerous hill stations in uttaranchal like Nainital, Chamba etc.,
If you are willing to drive for 10 hours then Narkanda and Tirthan valley are great options.
Old 15th March 2010, 17:18   #7
BHPian

Yes woof. Thanks.Shimla is a strong option on my list.

tsk - Thanks mate. You're right about Rajasthan summers. Would've loved to Narkanda but the only problem is that it will be tiring for the baby and for my wife as well since she would be handling him all the time and since it's a 2-3 days trip i don't want both of them to be sleeping on the anniversary day.

As of now it is turning out to be more of a fight between Shimla and Nainital. Any ideas on which destination would have better roads/ less traffic jams. Anyone who's been recently to these places could really help with road conditions. I would anyways start at around 4:30am so considering that which route would be less congetsed throughout?
Old 15th March 2010, 17:23   #8
Team-BHP Support

Actually narkanda is just couple of hours away from shimla, and the road is good.
Regarding Nainital, its one of our favorite holiday destinations.
Normally its a 6 hour run from Noida, except for full moon days. So check out the moon phase. during full moon time, billions of devotees in tractors turn up to take bath in ganga, and block the entire road for atonement of their sins.
Traffic jams run from minimum 4-5 hours to maximum 15 hours, sometimes even more.
Nainital has some real nice places to stay, like Vikram Vintage inn, and the lake is amazing. Around nainital you can visit some lakes like Bhimtal, or just walk along the mall road, do some boating, and enjoy a chilled out holiday
Old 15th March 2010, 17:40   #9
BHPian

If in Nainital, you might want to check other Hill stations near by as well. Ranikhet, is 66Kms from there, known for it's forests, since it's an Army area, hence maintained like any Cantonment.

My personal favorite, is Binsar, which lies ahead of Almora, which is at same distance as Ranikhet from Nainital. There is a diferent route linking Ranikhet & Almora, and it's a fun to drive , through all the twisties, which leads through dense hill forests.

Try KMVN guest house for the stay at Binsar, since it's at the best possible location, and not very far from the Zero Point, which is an awesome picnic point, with watch towers, and a tiger den.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Actually narkanda is just couple of hours away from shimla, and the road is good.
Regarding Nainital, its one of our favorite holiday destinations.
Normally its a 6 hour run from Noida, except for full moon days. So check out the moon phase. during full moon time, billions of devotees in tractors turn up to take bath in ganga, and block the entire road for atonement of their sins.
Traffic jams run from minimum 4-5 hours to maximum 15 hours, sometimes even more.
Nainital has some real nice places to stay, like Vikram Vintage inn, and the lake is amazing. Around nainital you can visit some lakes like Bhimtal, or just walk along the mall road, do some boating, and enjoy a chilled out holiday
Old 15th March 2010, 18:53   #10
BHPian

I would recommend Chail / Kasauli. Distance within the limit of 350 Kms. Good roads. Good weather. Peaceful environment. In Chail, you can stay at Chail Palace and make your anniversary a memorable one.

Visit the following link for Chail Palace:
HP Tourism Development Corporation

To book your room, please visit here:
http://hptdc.gov.in/custsw/viewuser8_hot.asp?dest=005

For Kasauli:
HP Tourism Development Corporation

Visit Simla if you want to celebrate your anniversary in a crowdy place. If you stay at Mall road in a hotel without a car park then car parking may be a problem during May rush. You will have to spend time to find a space in any of the car park and then come back to your hotel at The Mall.
Old 16th March 2010, 11:00   #11
Team-BHP Support

Binsar has no electricity after 9pm, and in summers there are hardly any views of the peaks. I found it strictly average. Kids may find that place annoying. A more touristy option is always better, for example nainital.
Old 16th March 2010, 11:22   #12
BHPian

cool.Thanks TSK.I was beginning to consider Binsar but glad you informed at the right ime. It would certainly be very uncomfortable in night without electricity with kid.
Old 16th March 2010, 11:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

I love jaipur, It is for sure 1 of my retirement home destination.

Shimla will be far more crowded then that of Nanital, but as you are moving up with family it might keep you entertained as well.

If you are going to Shimla, try getting a room at Hotel Holiday Home, HPTDC hotel. Very nice hotel with great facilities and nice food. I had been there last-to-last week only. HPTDC has got a booking office in Delhi, Staff being sarkari still is very very helpful and delightful.
Old 16th March 2010, 11:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Going Totally off topic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
I love jaipur, It is for sure 1 of my retirement home destination.
Ashish, you cant be serious on this one!!! Or maybe grass is greener on the other side

Coming back to the topic, in May another option could be Jim Corbett. This is the best time to sight animals there. Though the days are warm but the nights are very pleasant. Also if you the adventurous types you could try some river rafting at Rishikesh.

Regards
Old 16th March 2010, 12:16   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

My personal favourites for a summer weekend trip are Lansdowne and Khirsu (Khirsu and Pauri, Uttarakhand, India pictures from india photos on webshots). Lansdowne is less than 6 hours away from Delhi, and not a crowded place. The GMVN tourist bungalow is decent, and there are a couple of other options too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks