Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:37   #1
BHPian

Driving in Switzerland

Hey,

I am planning a europe trip and will be in switzerland for about 9 days.
I was thinking of hiring a car there but have a few questions about that, would really help me if anyone can answer these.
  1. How difficult is it to switch from right hand to left hand?
  2. How strict are the traffic rules and what all are the rules that are very different from India?
  3. What else would be the cost apart from car rent? (e.g. parking, toll )
  4. What if something happens to a rented car, do they have insurance cover for that?
We are four people and were taking swiss pass which is 329 CHF per person for 8 days, but then it makes everything free. Would taking a car be cheaper cause we will have to pay for the entrance fee and all.

Please help me out .. me really confused.

Thanks
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouravsinha View Post
  2. How strict are the traffic rules and what all are the rules that are very different from India?
  4. What if something happens to a rented car, do they have insurance cover for that?
Sharing my 2 cents of thoughts
1. For me, it took about a week to get used from right hand to left hand drive & requires lots of concentration & consider yourself as newbie except for gear changes (if any)
2. The rules are simple & straight forward ones but never even think of breaking them even in dreams unless you want to turn a holiday trip to nightmare
3. When I rented out from Hertz, I used to pay the car rent (available on daily, weekly, monthly & yearly basis), insurance charges, GPS charges (if applicable) & local state tax. All other expenses such as parking, toll are to be paid by us.
4. Yes they've the insurance cover for it, but you may opt or opt out for insurance coverage at your own risk. Better is to opt with the insurance

But IMHO, pls stay away from driving if you're not comfortable switching to right from left hand drive since your duration of stay is very less. By the time you're comfortably learned your driving, it will be time back to India. Unlike USA, there should be lot of public transport in Europe that should work out less & make your trip more comfortable.

Last edited by aargee : 22nd March 2010 at 13:31.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:54   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Hey,

I am planning a europe trip and will be in switzerland for about 9 days.
I was thinking of hiring a car there but have a few questions about that, would really help me if anyone can answer these.
We are four people and were taking swiss pass which is 329 CHF per person for 8 days, but then it makes everything free. Would taking a car be cheaper cause we will have to pay for the entrance fee and all.

Please help me out .. me really confused.

Thanks
I stongly suggest to take the train or bus options rather than driving for holidays. Swiss has fantastic public transport facilities. If you had lived there and now going there only for vaccation, then the scenario is different. This is my suggestion.
Regards,
Sarin
Old 22nd March 2010, 19:47   #4
BHPian

I was in Swiss for a close to a month on official travel and found the public transport to be very good. I would suggest you could use that to your advantage. If you are in a car you may even be tempted to stop at a lot of places just to take photographs.
Old 25th March 2010, 20:52   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do check this thread out : Driving in the USA

cya
R
Old 25th March 2010, 21:58   #6
BHPian

Swiss public transport is one of the best in the world. The buses, trains and boats are so well synchronized that you can get off a train and be assured to see a bus ready to board.
I was in Switzerland for 7 days in last September and never ever felt the need for personal transport despite traveling across Lucerne, Interlaken and Zurich.
I strongly suggest you take the Swiss train pass.
As far as roads are concerned they are excellent but winding in some parts.
If you have not driven left hand in the past, it may need a couple of hours of getting adjusted to.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks