Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2014, 06:23   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Road conditions to Kabini JLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
The best and fastest route is Mysore-Handpost-Bavali-Kattikulam-Kutta. Roads are excellent through out.
Thanks. I did not know the road conditions from Handpost to Kattikulam. Hence did not suggest. I thought I read some where that part was also broken.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 08:35   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks. I did not know the road conditions from Handpost to Kattikulam. Hence did not suggest. I thought I read some where that part was also broken.
In the Bavali-Handpost route, we have to take a deviation from the main NH to village roads to avoid the core Tiger reserve area (Public vehicles are not allowed through this route). This 10 kms of village roads (http://goo.gl/maps/Hk0wJ) were really bad for last few years. The repairing of this section of roads started in early 2014/end of 2013 and got completed by June/July 2014 (This is my old update when the work started in Jan 2014 :http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3348687). This route is in excellent condition now and Mysore-Kattikulam can be easily done under 1 hour 45 minutes. Only problem in this route is lot of speed breakers in the village roads/reserve area. Attaching some photos of the village roads in May 2014 (Work going on) and Nov 2014 (repair completed) below.

Before(May 2014):
Road conditions to Kabini JLR-dsc06483.jpg
Road conditions to Kabini JLR-dsc06497.jpg
Road conditions to Kabini JLR-dsc06506.jpg
Road conditions to Kabini JLR-dsc06510.jpg

After repair(Nov 2014):
Road conditions to Kabini JLR-dsc08336.jpg
Road conditions to Kabini JLR-dsc08338.jpg
Road conditions to Kabini JLR-dsc08671.jpg
denver85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 09:34   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
After repair(Nov 2014):
Ah! So there is the change. Some how I missed to note that. Thanks. Thats really good news!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 11:58   #34
BHPian

Thank you guys will try out these !!
Old 22nd December 2014, 22:52   #35
BHPian

Quote:
The best and fastest route is Mysore-Handpost-Bavali-Kattikulam-Kutta. Roads are excellent through out.
If you want to try the Nagerhole forest route, you can take Mysore-Hunsur-Nagerhole-Kutta. This is going to be the shortest route but around 20 kms in the Nagerhole tiger reserve is broken.
From Kutta to Talassery you can either take Kutta-Kattikulam-Mananthavadi-Boys town-Kottiyoor-Kannavam-Koothuparamba-Talassery or Mananthavadi-Thottilpalam-Kuttiyadi-Nadapuram-Peringathoor-Talassery. Both are almost same distance and road condition is decent.

The Gonikoppal route is going to be too long. It will add around 25 kms extra and 5-6 kms bad roads.
Need another help !
I will be driving down to Ooty from Thalassery. Google maps gives me these routes :
Thalassery-Makkiyadi-Thariyana-Meenangadi-Sulthan Bathery-Gudalur-Ooty

Last time when I did Kalpeta/Wayanad I could see an alternate route thru Kalpeta. Is this route OK ?
Thalassery-Makkiyadi-Thariyana-Kalpeta-Meppadi-Cherambadi-Pandalur-Gudalur-Ooty.
Old 22nd December 2014, 23:08   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
Last time when I did Kalpeta/Wayanad I could see an alternate route thru Kalpeta. Is this route OK ?
Thalassery-Makkiyadi-Thariyana-Kalpeta-Meppadi-Cherambadi-Pandalur-Gudalur-Ooty.
I think this would work fine. The road via Mappadi is quite scenic too.
Old 23rd December 2014, 01:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
Need another help !
I will be driving down to Ooty from Thalassery. Google maps gives me these routes :
Thalassery-Makkiyadi-Thariyana-Meenangadi-Sulthan Bathery-Gudalur-Ooty

Not sure of the condition of the Kuttyadi ghats, but once you get up the ghats and get to Tharuvana, there are multiple routes to get to the Gudalur. Even though the short cuts connecting Panamaram to Bathery via Nadavayal (Beenachy) and the other from Pachilakkad to Meenangadi are shorter options, the road conditions aren't all that great - it would be advisable to go via Kalpetta instead.

Even to get to Kalpetta there are two options. From a surface quality point of view, the road via Panamaram-Kambalakkad-Kainatty is much better than the Padinjarethara-Kavumannam-Kalpetta route though the distance may be slightly less on the latter.

Kalpetta-Meppady-Gudalur should be OK though the Kalpetta-Meppady stretch may be slightly rough. If you're coming via Kambalakkad, you can take Kalpetta byepass (towards Calicut) and turn left at the end of the byepass to get on to the Meppady road.
Old 7th January 2015, 14:21   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Not sure of the condition of the Kuttyadi ghats, but once you get up the ghats and get to Tharuvana, there are multiple routes to get to the Gudalur. Even though the short cuts connecting Panamaram to Bathery via Nadavayal (Beenachy) and the other from Pachilakkad to Meenangadi are shorter options, the road conditions aren't all that great - it would be advisable to go via Kalpetta instead.

Even to get to Kalpetta there are two options. From a surface quality point of view, the road via Panamaram-Kambalakkad-Kainatty is much better than the Padinjarethara-Kavumannam-Kalpetta route though the distance may be slightly less on the latter.

Kalpetta-Meppady-Gudalur should be OK though the Kalpetta-Meppady stretch may be slightly rough. If you're coming via Kambalakkad, you can take Kalpetta byepass (towards Calicut) and turn left at the end of the byepass to get on to the Meppady road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think this would work fine. The road via Mappadi is quite scenic too.
Quote:
In the Bavali-Handpost route, we have to take a deviation from the main NH to village roads to avoid the core Tiger reserve area (Public vehicles are not allowed through this route). ...........
Thank you all for your support !!
I followed these routes and the roads were great throughout.
Stayed at Bison Manor in Kutta. A quaint place in the midst of the coffee plantations. Did a quick trip to Ooty and returned back to Chennai by 31st.
Overall almost 1600 kms of mostly very good roads. Once again, big thanks to you all
polopm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 23:31   #39
Senior - BHPian

Need help regarding the best route from Bangalore (Marathalli) to Red Earth resort, Kabini. . I plan to take the Mysore route as there are plenty of eating options etc.
This is what Google shows. Is this the preferred route? Anything to watch out for?

Road conditions to Kabini JLR-capture.jpg
Old 22nd September 2015, 12:24   #40
BHPian

Yes stick to Mysore road and once you enter mysore ask for HD kote road , it will pass thro the famous NIE college , nearing kabini roads will be little rough . enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Need help regarding the best route from Bangalore (Marathalli) to Red Earth resort, Kabini. . I plan to take the Mysore route as there are plenty of eating options etc.
This is what Google shows. Is this the preferred route? Anything to watch out for?

Attachment 1417840
Fortuner71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 22:40   #41
Senior - BHPian

As per Google, I should take the Mysore ring road and not go through the City. Is that the preferred option? Is there any good eating joints with clean restrooms near to Mysore which falls on the way?
I am asking this because if I start early I might be crossing some of the popular eating joints pretty early. So, something closer to Mysore might be preferred.
Old 23rd September 2015, 08:52   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As per Google, I should take the Mysore ring road and not go through the City. Is that the preferred option? Is there any good eating joints with clean restrooms near to Mysore which falls on the way?
I am asking this because if I start early I might be crossing some of the popular eating joints pretty early. So, something closer to Mysore might be preferred.
Doesn't really matter which route you take when in Mysore. Hardly any traffic jams or for that matter vehicles on the road within the city. If you find a maniac on road the cutting lanes and jumping traffic lights, in all likelihood that dude must be from Bangalore. (Hint : Check his license plates)

Most joints on the Blr-Mys road have good food and clean restrooms, but that again depends on what time you start.
Be warned once you hit the Mysore-HD Kote route, there are hardly any good places to eat from. So your best bet would be to grab a bite from the city itself.
Old 23rd September 2015, 12:11   #43
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Be warned once you hit the Mysore-HD Kote route, there are hardly any good places to eat from. So your best bet would be to grab a bite from the city itself.
If you're taking the Mysore Outer ring road towards Hunsur Road by turning right at Columbia Asia Hospital, then there is a very good restaurant called Kalyani. Would be ideal if you're starting early from Bangalore since most places before Mysore start serving food at 6:45-7am onwards. Else pack some stuff from home.

Last edited by NPV : 23rd September 2015 at 12:12.
Old 24th September 2015, 10:20   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you're taking the Mysore Outer ring road towards Hunsur Road by turning right at Columbia Asia Hospital, then there is a very good restaurant called Kalyani. Would be ideal if you're starting early from Bangalore since most places before Mysore start serving food at 6:45-7am onwards. Else pack some stuff from home.
Same Kalyani in Hebbal eh ? That place is good, but isn't that route a real long one for him to reach the Mys-HDKote road ? Also the Mys Ring Road isn't done up fully and there are quite a few places yet to be patched up.

I would still recommend entering the city and then taking the road to HDKote.
Old 24th September 2015, 11:29   #45
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Same Kalyani in Hebbal eh ? That place is good, but isn't that route a real long one for him to reach the Mys-HDKote road ? Also the Mys Ring Road isn't done up fully and there are quite a few places yet to be patched up.
Not sure if it's owned by the same folks.
Yes, it's longer and more suitable if going towards Madikeri on Hunsur Road.
Going inside Mysore city is definitely an option if starting early from Bangalore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks