Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2015, 12:23   #46
Senior - BHPian

Guys please advise whether to go through Mysore city or take the ORR.Starting tomorrow from Hyderabad
Old 24th September 2015, 18:02   #47
BHPian

Re: Road conditions to Kabini JLR

Guys, need an info. Is it possible/advisable to visit Kabini to take part in the morning forest safari? If yes, what time do the forest gates open? And what is morning safari timing? Kindly share the best route from Bangalore based on road conditions.
Old 25th September 2015, 04:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Guys, need an info. Is it possible/advisable to visit Kabini to take part in the morning forest safari? If yes, what time do the forest gates open? And what is morning safari timing? Kindly share the best route from Bangalore based on road conditions.
No idea about Safari timings, but with an early morning start - say 3AM, it should be possible for you to reach JLR Kabini by about 7 AM or so. There are no forest stretches till there - so gate closures shouldn't be an issue.

The route to get to Kabini is SH17 to Mysore and then SH33 from there (via HDKote Handpost to Kabini). Road conditions are good all through (except for the traffic / speed limiting implements on SH17 - I guess that shouldn't be too much of a problem with a very early start)
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 08:40   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
No idea about Safari timings, but with an early morning start - say 3AM, it should be possible for you to reach JLR Kabini by about 7 AM or so. There are no forest stretches till there - so gate closures shouldn't be an issue.

The route to get to Kabini is SH17 to Mysore and then SH33 from there (via HDKote Handpost to Kabini). Road conditions are good all through (except for the traffic / speed limiting implements on SH17 - I guess that shouldn't be too much of a problem with a very early start)
Thanks a lot! Any idea from where we need to procure the tickets for the forest safari?
Old 25th September 2015, 14:49   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot! Any idea from where we need to procure the tickets for the forest safari?
Never been for a jungle safari there - so no clue. May be you could call up the JLR guys and find out from them ?
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 16:06   #51
BHPian

Hi Team ,

Will it adviasble to visit JLR Kabini towards the end of October . What would be the chances of wild life sighting .
Old 25th September 2015, 22:00   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Usually JLR Jungle safari starts 6 am in the morning. People assemble there around 5.45 am itself.

We have stayed there in JLR, so they managed it. I believe even other resorts people did join the Jungle safari. You can call them up and check for the procedure.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 23:28   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Recent Kabni safaris for me too was via JLR, however long back we had taken evening safari organized by forest department. I hope the procedure remains same.

While driving down from Mysore, you reach a T junction, the main road turns to left, however the safari and forest offices are on right road. You will not miss turn easily. I will try to find the location of this on map and share if possible later

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumen.blore View Post
Will it adviasble to visit JLR Kabini towards the end of October . What would be the chances of wild life sighting .
Winters are second best time after summer for sightings due to increased animal movement due to mating season.

However, as always sightings are aa matter of luck.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 04:47   #54
NAK

HI. Need some help. I am driving to Serai Kabini on 2nd Oct morning starting at around 6 am. Is it better to take Kanakpura road to reach Mysore and onwards to Kabini to avoid the busy Blr-Mysore highway given the long weekend? Appreciate your guidance in advance.
Old 1st October 2015, 08:58   #55
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAK View Post
HI. Need some help. I am driving to Serai Kabini on 2nd Oct morning starting at around 6 am. Is it better to take Kanakpura road to reach Mysore and onwards to Kabini to avoid the busy Blr-Mysore highway given the long weekend? Appreciate your guidance in advance.
Now that Malavalli-Bannur road work is almost complete, Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore is definitely an option. Mysore Road that day will be jam-packed with traffic from bangalore.
Old 5th October 2015, 06:40   #56
NAK

Thanks a lot @NPV. I took the road you suggested while going to Kabini and it was indeed a relatively empty and extremely scenic route to take. Took the usual Blr-Mysore road on my return journey and it turned out to be lot worst...partially due to heavy rains last evening. Thanks again.
NAK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 23:04   #57
BHPian

Do other resorts (other than JLR) arrange for Jungle Safari or it has to be managed on our own? Which are the good resorts to stay at Kabini as JLR seems to have only Maharaja Cottages on the dates am planning to travel ? TIA
Old 21st October 2015, 23:09   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

All resorts in and around Kabini arrange safaris through government run JLR. Private safari vehicles are not allowed inside the national park. The Bison and Serai are two other good resorts near JLR, Kabini.
Old 22nd October 2015, 09:55   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by couswheels View Post
Which are the good resorts to stay at Kabini as JLR seems to have only Maharaja Cottages on the dates am planning to travel ? TIA
As mentioned by robimahanta, other resorts take you in their vehicle to JLR and asks you to get climb in JLR's vehicle for safari.

One drawback of using other resort safari's is that JLR has few mini-van type of vehicles for safari. Once the jeeps are full, they asks non JLR tourists to get in to these vehicles.
Though, spotting wildlife is based on luck, the issue with these vehicles is they have more people which increases the chance of you ending up with those noisy picnic tourist types.

My suggestion is - Go for Maharaja cottages if you are not able to change the dates. Though they are expensive, compared to other JLR options, it will still be cheaper compared to outside options.

If you are flexible on dates, opt for tented cottage on a later date. They offer value for money.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 13:39   #60
Senior - BHPian

Heard about a forest department safari (not JLR) out of Kabani area. I had read about same in a thread in BHP, but unable to locate the same. Any pointers/detail will be very helpful

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks