Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2016, 14:12   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Road conditions to Kabini JLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Heard about a forest department safari (not JLR) out of Kabani area. I had read about same in a thread in BHP, but unable to locate the same. Any pointers/detail will be very helpful
I believe the Forest department safaris start from the Dammanakatte Gate of the Nagarahole WLS (2 or 3 kms after Antharasanthe when going from Mysore on SH33). No personal experience, but remember reading about it in a travelogue.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 14:19   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Heard about a forest department safari (not JLR) out of Kabani area. I had read about same in a thread in BHP, but unable to locate the same. Any pointers/detail will be very helpful
Once you take the right near H.D.Kote hand post you will have to travel for around 8 to 10 kms. On the left you will see Dhammanakatte forest office (Just before the check post & just before the left you take which goes to JLR & other resorts. You need to be there by 8.30 AM to book safari tickets for the same day evening safari. For the next day morning safari you can book your tickets after your evening safari.

The bookings are done on first come first serve basis. There is only 1 safari bus. So weekends will be crowded & you may get booking only for 1 out of the 2 trips that they do in the evenings. Hope this helps & happy sightings if you are visiting
Torque123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 14:40   #63
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had read about same in a thread in BHP, but unable to locate the same. Any pointers/detail will be very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
No personal experience, but remember reading about it in a travelogue.
I think you guys are referring to this TL by nkrishnap
Link
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 15:52   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As far as I am aware of it is not closed yet, but the forest department is deliberating the idea though.

A lot of resorts who use the department safari will protest for sure.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 18:37   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

When are you planning the trip? Since I heard about an option to take JLR safari though you are not staying in JLR.
While staying at JLR have seen few nearby resorts bringing their guests at JLR for safari. However, now I came to know about homestays from Kerala also offering safaris through JLR. I am planning of trying a similar safari this weekend, if I am able to get any details of the same will share here.

Also, with Mallavalli - Bannur - Mysore ring road in good condition apart from few KM's around Bannur, it is a good option to take Kanakpura - Mallavalli- Mysore ring road - Cross Mysore - Gundlupet road / NH 212 junction and join Mananthavady road.
Old 22nd November 2016, 18:48   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
Once you take the right near H.D.Kote hand post you will have to travel for around 8 to 10 kms. On the left you will see Dhammanakatte forest office (Just before the check post & just before the left you take which goes to JLR & other resorts. You need to be there by 8.30 AM to book safari tickets for the same day evening safari. For the next day morning safari you can book your tickets after your evening safari.

The bookings are done on first come first serve basis. There is only 1 safari bus. So weekends will be crowded & you may get booking only for 1 out of the 2 trips that they do in the evenings. Hope this helps & happy sightings if you are visiting
Thanks, that helps a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think you guys are referring to this TL by nkrishnap
Link
Yes NPV, I could not find that link while searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
As far as I am aware of it is not closed yet, but the forest department is deliberating the idea though.

A lot of resorts who use the department safari will protest for sure.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I believe the Forest department safaris start from the Dammanakatte Gate of the Nagarahole WLS (2 or 3 kms after Antharasanthe when going from Mysore on SH33). No personal experience, but remember reading about it in a travelogue.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
When are you planning the trip? Since I heard about an option to take JLR safari though you are not staying in JLR.
While staying at JLR have seen few nearby resorts bringing their guests at JLR for safari. However, now I came to know about homestays from Kerala also offering safaris through JLR. I am planning of trying a similar safari this weekend, if I am able to get any details of the same will share here.

Also, with Mallavalli - Bannur - Mysore ring road in good condition apart from few KM's around Bannur, it is a good option to take Kanakpura - Mallavalli- Mysore ring road - Cross Mysore - Gundlupet road / NH 212 junction and join Mananthavady road.
This is for a large group of 35 to 40 folks (I am out of that list), they are planning to be there on Dec 9th, Friday early morning. But looks like it may not be practical to get the tickets considering it is just 1 bus available. I may go there on Dec11th Sunday.

I have used the JLR safari while staying in Jungle Retreat Wayanad, this safari was starting from the Nagerhole safari point. Please let me know if you need any further details
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 10:11   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is for a large group of 35 to 40 folks (I am out of that list), they are planning to be there on Dec 9th, Friday early morning. But looks like it may not be practical to get the tickets considering it is just 1 bus available. I may go there on Dec11th Sunday.

I have used the JLR safari while staying in Jungle Retreat Wayanad, this safari was starting from the Nagerhole safari point. Please let me know if you need any further details
40 folks meaning 20 folks should stand in queue. Moreover the bus is a 26 seater and one trip wont suffice. Standing in the queue is impractical. I would suggest write to the Forest office in Mysore and see if you can do a bulk booking. Kabini side, JLR does not provide safari for the outsiders yet.

Nagarahole you get the safari from JLR.

PS: Kabini is way too over crowded compared to Nagarahole. Why dont you do multiple safaris in Nagarahole. There are enough buses out there in case JLR is not able to provide you 40 seats.
Old 23rd November 2016, 13:34   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
40 folks meaning 20 folks should stand in queue. Moreover the bus is a 26 seater and one trip wont suffice. Standing in the queue is impractical. I would suggest write to the Forest office in Mysore and see if you can do a bulk booking. Kabini side, JLR does not provide safari for the outsiders yet.

Nagarahole you get the safari from JLR.

PS: Kabini is way too over crowded compared to Nagarahole. Why dont you do multiple safaris in Nagarahole. There are enough buses out there in case JLR is not able to provide you 40 seats.
Let me see if the Forest office can help in getting some arrangement done. Fallback option will be Nagerhole or Tholpetty, these folks will be staying in a resort near Kuruva island
Old 23rd November 2016, 13:49   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Let me see if the Forest office can help in getting some arrangement done. Fallback option will be Nagerhole or Tholpetty, these folks will be staying in a resort near Kuruva island
Nagarahole way better than Tholpetty. I would suggest dont waste time and money for Tholpetty.
Old 23rd November 2016, 14:02   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nagarahole way better than Tholpetty. I would suggest dont waste time and money for Tholpetty.
Agreed on that completely and that is the primary option.
Old 16th March 2019, 22:06   #71
BHPian

My urge to visit Kabini was there for close to 3 years, every time , i look at the exorbitant pricing at JLR and change my plan, but this time, i made up my mind and went ahead completing the online booking successfully for the third time (after cancelling the payment for 2 times by not entering the OTP of the transaction)

Ina week, I will drive from Chennai to kabini and request suggestions from experts here on the following:

1) Route: Arrived the below route is that right, do you have any other suggestions or tips - i had planned for a night halt in Mysore so that i can reach kabini by early morning hours (with an expectation of animal sightings)

Chennai - Hosur - Nice Road - Mysore - Halalu – Danagalli – Hampapura – Madapura – Mananthavadi road – Sagahalli -JLR

Also please let me know any landmarks or road signs that i may need to look for so that i dont get diverted from the planned route.

2) Any tips or suggestions that you would have for me to make the best out of my stay in JLR and additional safari options (big cat sightings)

3) From kabini i will be going to Coorg for a 2 day home stay in madikeri and then back to chennai - Please suggest recommended route to coorg and places not to miss visiting. Thanks.

4) Fuel station: Plan to refill at BP COCO in A2B campus in krishnagiri - Suggest any other fuel station on the way to kabini & coorg and on way back chennai.

Last edited by anandharamanp : 16th March 2019 at 22:12.
Old 16th March 2019, 23:04   #72
BHPian

Road conditions to Kabini JLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandharamanp View Post

1) Route: Arrived the below route is that right, do you have any other suggestions or tips - i had planned for a night halt in Mysore so that i can reach kabini by early morning hours

Also please let me know any landmarks or road signs that i may need to look for so that i dont get diverted from the planned route.

Wonderful. You will have a great trip. Whenever I go to Kabini or Bandipur we start early morning and reach there by 1.30-2 right before the Safari time. You don't have to do a overnight stay in Mysuru.

Since You have decided to stay, start early from Mysuru and reach the nagarhole forest checkpost, sign, drive for 20-25 kms and try your luck sighting wildlife on the roads. Then head back to the resort, check in and do the evening safari. You will be given one jeep and one boat safari. I generally avoid the boat safari and do an additional Jeep safari. But It's your choice.

Google maps is an accurate guide and follow it. I don't even remember the names of the towns I cross. I blindly follow the maps every time I've been there.

I think there is another COCO outlet of BP along with McD some 30-40 kms before Mysuru.

Just don't focus on the big cats. Of course when they are in front of you, you can't take your focus elsewhere, but there is a lot to take in during a Safari. The naturalist or the driver will give you lot of information other than the big cats which helps balance the nature. Happy sighting.

Last edited by varunanb : 16th March 2019 at 23:09.
varunanb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 23:14   #73
BHPian

Hi All,

I am planning a drive through Kabini - Nagarhole on Sunday. Can someone who has been there recently provide an update on the road condition?

I am starting from Bangalore and the destination is Mangalore. However, planning to take a detour and drive through Kabini - Nagarhole and then proceed to Madikeri and Mangalore. I have not really decided if I want to go for the safari yet but will decide based on the situation.
Old 15th February 2023, 18:23   #74
BHPian

Hi

Which is the best route to JLR Kabini from Vadakara (Kerala)

Approx start time from Vadakara: 7 AM

Google route : Vadakara Kuttiady Thottilpalam Korome Mananthavady Kattikkulam Bavali Karapura

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks