Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2010, 13:33   #1
BHPian

Road conditions to Kabini JLR

I am planning to visit Kabini River Lodge (JLR) next weekend. I am aware of the route from Bangalore till Mysore but not further.

1. I read that a last few kilometers are not good. Can the Alto make it on these roads?

2. I am planning to leave Bangalore at around 6 am. Can I make it before 12 noon. I do not drive more than 70kmph on Bangalore-Mysore road and plan to take a break for about 30 minutes near Mysore.
Old 25th March 2010, 14:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

You should take the Manavanthavadi road from Mysore. Take the ORR once you enter Mysore and turn on to this this road. I think ar each turning/cross on the ORR, you can see the sign-gauge. For a sanity check, this turn comes after the Hunsur and Bogadi crossing.

From the ORR turning, it should be about 60Km. You can see the JLR sign board on this main road itself.

Last edited by ampere : 25th March 2010 at 14:16.
Old 26th March 2010, 11:33   #3
BHPian

Hi,

FYI I have eloborated the route details as below:

1.Before entering Mysore you will hit major junction,there you take right turn (sign indicates to Ooty,Mananthavadi rd or H.D.Kote rd).

2.Proceed further and you will encounter 1st junction (right turn will lead u to KRS n left goes to Mysore city) just ignore that n proceed further.

3.You will encounter 2nd junction (right turn is towards Hunsur-Madikeri n left goes to Mysore city) just ignore n proceed further till you reach the dead end.

4.There you need to take right turn (Left goes to Mysore city) n proceed till you encounter 3rd junction there you need to take right.This road will lead you to Kabini (This is H.D.Hote rd).

Go straight till you cross Hampapura and H.D.Kote hand post. Go straight from here (right turn will go to H.D.Kote) and after a KM or two you will get a small circle where you need to take right turn (left will lead to Kabini Dam). Next you will hit the Nagarhole National Park Gate. From here Karapura village (JLR) is just ~12kms.

I have attached a route map which may be of help. Plan to leave ASAP so that you can also visit Kabini Dam. Do let me know incase you have any questions. As you read - last 12km stretch is not in good shape just be slow on this stretch and Alto will do without any problem.

Gave a great time and do share your moments.

Cheers,

Sanjeev
Attached Files
File Type: pdf JLR_kabini_routemap.pdf (667.5 KB, 2097 views)
sanju.iitm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2010, 17:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to ask, is it possible to do Kabini in a day and come back to Bangalore? Say we just go to the catchment area of the dam and come back? How is the road condition after Mysore till the Dam? Seeing the distance around 210km it seems possible as I did similar distance trips before but Kabini I've never been.
Also what options are available for food (lunch etc)? Would appreciate if anyone can post some quick info as that'll make sure where I drive tomorrow. Please please respond.
Old 3rd April 2010, 18:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Just wanted to ask, is it possible to do Kabini in a day and come back to Bangalore? Say we just go to the catchment area of the dam and come back? How is the road condition after Mysore till the Dam? Seeing the distance around 210km it seems possible as I did similar distance trips before but Kabini I've never been.
Also what options are available for food (lunch etc)? Would appreciate if anyone can post some quick info as that'll make sure where I drive tomorrow. Please please respond.
There is no point doing that. Even if you start early you may reach by 10. But it does not make sense not to stay there. The early morning boat rides and safari are too good. You should plan at least for one night.
Old 4th April 2010, 00:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There is no point doing that. Even if you start early you may reach by 10. But it does not make sense not to stay there. The early morning boat rides and safari are too good. You should plan at least for one night.
Thanks but I've already decided to do that. Basically have nothing else to do and have been to most of the places around already. Only this place was left. So just for a drive I'll go ;-) Let's see how it turns out to be. Will go there to stay after the rains sometimes.
BTW, another question, for these boat rides and Safari's do you need to be a guest at some of the resorts there? Or one can directly go and hire a boat ride/safari?
Old 4th April 2010, 09:47   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks but I've already decided to do that. Basically have nothing else to do and have been to most of the places around already. Only this place was left. So just for a drive I'll go ;-) Let's see how it turns out to be. Will go there to stay after the rains sometimes.
BTW, another question, for these boat rides and Safari's do you need to be a guest at some of the resorts there? Or one can directly go and hire a boat ride/safari?
The JLR guys do it for the guests. But I think you can call them up and bargain for a day charge. They should be able to work out a deal that should include lunch, and a small safari/boat ride.
Old 5th April 2010, 00:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ampere, thanks for the info but I've already came back from the trip. We thought of trying the JLR for a day package(did similar at Devbagh once and they were quite accommodating) but had some other troubles/mis-adventures/close shaves during the trip and had less amount of time to try things out. Will post a travelogue soon, just reached home after the trip.
Old 5th April 2010, 05:35   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey Ampere, thanks for the info but I've already came back from the trip. We thought of trying the JLR for a day package(did similar at Devbagh once and they were quite accommodating) but had some other troubles/mis-adventures/close shaves during the trip and had less amount of time to try things out. Will post a travelogue soon, just reached home after the trip.

Kaushik,

BTW, My experience with Devbagh is exactly as yours! Did many a day trips to Devbagh, since I used to stay pretty to Karwar in those days. They were very accommodating. Not sure about these guys. Probably if we call a day in advance, hopefully these guys may as well oblige. Not sure though.

Waiting to hear what happened!
Old 5th April 2010, 10:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Useful info, thanks for this.
Old 15th April 2010, 23:10   #11
BHPian

I had been to Kabini JLR on April 1st. Thanks to Ampere and Sanju.iitm for the route details. The PDF provided and details made sure I reached without problems.
Old 16th April 2010, 15:13   #12
BHPian

Good to hear that our inputs helped you to reach Kabini without any problem. It would be great if you share your trip exp. and also do share the photos.
Old 16th April 2010, 21:07   #13
Team-BHP Support

@Alto,

Great to hear about your trip. Do post some snaps. How was the place in summer?
Was the mercury very bad?
Old 17th April 2010, 01:21   #14
BHPian

I have posted in Travelogues section. The summer heat has rendered the forests dry. The drive back to Bangalore was tiring.
Old 7th May 2014, 15:12   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Road conditions to Kabini JLR

For reaching Kabini JLR from Bangalore which is the best route to take past Mysore.
1. Mysore - Handpost - JLR.
2. Mysore - Hunsur - HD Kote - Handpost - JLR.

Drive will be over weekend (24/25 May), will be reaching Mysore around 09.00 AM on 24th.
Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks