Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 10:42   #16
BHPian

I really would suggest take the first option as told many driving mavericks here.

I have been in that route recently and its fantastic. Even the other route till Pollachi - was fine since i took that in return, but not sure of Pollachi to Allepey.

Better stick with first option, and if you really have time, why do night drive, enjoy the day time drive.

NH45 though four laned, is little trafficky in the wee hours & you should be really good to cut all that till the first 80kms odd.

You can take tambaram bypass and in no time you will be at Salem
Old 30th March 2010, 07:42   #17
BHPian

thanks all... the plan to drive in the night 'cos i love to drive when its quite in the car and everyone sleeping... including the front seat companion.

For now, the plan is drive through the four lanes in the night and hit the ghat roads in the day time.
Old 30th March 2010, 08:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
... including the front seat companion.
Just a word of caution - do not let the co-driver sleep that will put you also into sleep; though I've no evidence to show, I've experienced & friends who've experienced this that too during day time & you really need to watch out.

Last edited by aargee : 30th March 2010 at 08:13.
Old 31st March 2010, 06:46   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Just a word of caution - do not let the co-driver sleep that will put you also into sleep; though I've no evidence to show, I've experienced & friends who've experienced this that too during day time & you really need to watch out.
+1. Whoever sleeps should go to the back seat. Front seat sleep should not be encouraged.
In fact the front seat companion should try to keep the driver awake and active.
Old 31st March 2010, 07:09   #20
BHPian

True, but for some reason i differ in this case... dont know why... i enjoy driving a lot when the whole crew sleeps... i just go into my own world of analyzing whats outside, the vehicle type, roads, lights outside etc... i switch off the music too...

i have done three night trips in a month and mostly i will be only one awake and driving..

Last edited by klassics45 : 31st March 2010 at 07:21.
Old 31st March 2010, 09:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

I think we are going . I personally prefer silence in the cabin, hence will be very glad if everyone is sleeping. That way I enjoy the driving.

Probably the message is that if there is any sign of weariness, take steps like washing face, cup of tea or a power nap.
Old 31st March 2010, 09:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In fact the front seat companion should try to keep the driver awake and active.
^^^ This is the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
i have done three night trips in a month and mostly i will be only one awake and driving..
How many hours did the trip last? Were they on super good NH or state highways with 2 lane? How many Kms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Probably the message is that if there is any sign of weariness, take steps like washing face, cup of tea or a power nap.
You're right, but by the time one realizes, it shouldn't be late. Better safe than sorry.

On sane driving all it requires is about 12-13 hours with proper breaks; why not start early in the morning at 4:00 & reach Allapuzha in the evening?
Old 31st March 2010, 19:02   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
How many hours did the trip last? Were they on super good NH or state highways with 2 lane? How many Kms?
chennai - salem, chennai - palani, chennai - b'lore.

I understand and respect your concern. Its all about preference. my day in office ends around 10 pm. I have to drive 25 kms to go back to home and take rest which i am not comfortable doing. so we leave from office. my friend will driving till we get out of the city and from there i will take over. Im more a night person like many IT guys here. i wont get sleep till 3 am and i drive without any stress till 6 or 7am. But i wont take the wheels at 8- 11 am... im always sleepy at this time.

This is the plan...
11 pm to 6 am or till the four lane ends - i will be driving.
ghat roads or 2 lane... - my friend will be driving... trust me he never prefers 4 lane highways.. he says he feels sleepy very soon... to drive on straight roads without much to do...
We have one more friend who is the most experienced but prefers to sit back and relax... he will take the wheel... if we both are tired.
Old 31st March 2010, 20:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

^^^upto you guys, have a safe trip. I spoke my mind.
Old 5th April 2010, 20:24   #25

Hi,

Can someone tell me the condition of NH47 between Salem and Avinash. Is the 4 lane'ing complete? I'm driving down from Chennai to Coonoor on 21st. Since I do not want to take the Thoppur-Mettur-Sathy-mettupalayam route, I would like the latest state of the NH47 between Salem and Avinashi. I will take left and reach Mettupalayam via Annur. Let me know if this is the ideal route.

Ashwin Reddy
New Bhpian
Old 5th April 2010, 21:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwin Reddy View Post
Can someone tell me the condition of NH47 between Salem and Avinash. Is the 4 lane'ing complete? I'm driving down from Chennai to Coonoor on 21st. Since I do not want to take the Thoppur-Mettur-Sathy-mettupalayam route, I would like the latest state of the NH47 between Salem and Avinashi. I will take left and reach Mettupalayam via Annur. Let me know if this is the ideal route.
See this thread where the route is being discussed.
Old 5th April 2010, 21:50   #27
Team-BHP Support

Also check the the CBE update thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...update-16.html

I just asked this question some days back. Its 4L all the way!
Old 17th May 2010, 18:54   #28
BHPian

did the trip last month end...

Route: chennai - vellore - krishnagiri - salem - Pollachi - Vaalparai - Chalakudy - Ernakulam - Alleppey.

Return: Alleppey - Ernakulam - Palakad - Coimbatore - Salem - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Chennai.

@aargee, as you said we started at 3 am
Old 17th May 2010, 18:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Glad to know you started early & so how long did you take to reach the destination? Hope you'd a safe & good memorable trip. I love your way on return journey. Time for travelogue I guess
Old 17th May 2010, 19:03   #30
BHPian

+1. A detailed one with the leopard spotting incident too

Most Viewed