Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2014, 12:52   #16
BHPian

re: Hassan - Chitradurga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Alternatively, one can also take Hassan-Channarayapatna-Bellur Cross-Turuvekere-KB Cross-Huliyar-Hiriyur-Chitradurga route. This route has good roads all the way to Chitradurga.
Thanks Addy. I just did this route 2 days back. Except for many unmarked speed breakers which appear suddenly, roads nice throughout. Actually its Mysore - Hiriyur - Bidar highway. Approximate distance from Hassan to Durga here is 240 Kms.

I met one Innova cab guy at Kamat Upachar near Channarayapatna and discussed Nuggehalli-Tiptur route and he suggested me to avoid this road. He traveled in this route few days back and roads till Tiptur is in very bad condition according to him.

Also same time last year, I did Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur - Tarikere - Bhadravati - Channagiri - Holalkere - Durga route. Chikmagaluru - tarikere beautiful and very scenic. But Bhadravti - Channagiri was in horrible condition. It took me almost 2 hours to cover this road. Channagiri - Durga was very nice.

Interestingly, I started from Hassan at around 2 pm and was in a hurry to reach Chitradurga and thought of having lunch in Chikmagalur. But couldn't find any hotel on the way and did not want to waste more time going inside city and continued. At one point was so hungry that I felt dizzy inside my car and just then - some 30 kms from Chikmagalur - found this place, Coffee Bean Cafe or something like that (I don't remember name clearly). Just went in and had some nice bread-omelets and hot refreshing coffee.

Thank you for updating. It was really helpful.
BomBatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 11:05   #17
BHPian

Planning to use the route Davanagare to Hassan on my trip to Thalassery from Pune. Found the following route as shortest from Gmap. Can someone help with the road condition in the following route.

Davanagare – Atigere – Santhebennur – Gulle Halli – Channagiri – Pandomatti – Birur – Kadur – Banavara – Arakere – Halebeedu – Hagare -- Hassan

Regards,
Sarin
Old 15th December 2015, 12:53   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post
Planning to use the route Davanagare to Hassan on my trip to Thalassery from Pune.

Davanagare – Atigere – Santhebennur – Gulle Halli – Channagiri – Pandomatti – Birur – Kadur – Banavara – Arakere – Halebeedu – Hagare -- Hassan
This is an offbeat route I guess. Haven't seen anyone opting for combination this way, I am not sure if this would be the fastest route from Pune or if you are just trying this for checking out a new route. In either case

Will update you with sections I have done -

Birur - Kadur section : Have traveled last weekend. Has developed few potholes, some are pretty deep. No need to slow down, can drive around. However, will be tougher to drive in night or during rains.

Kadur - Banavara : No issues, do watch out for few speed breakers around villages.

Banavara - Halebeedu: Have driven on partial section of this route (Belavadi - Halebeedu) in July. Road widening work ongoing. No bad sections, however you will have to keep slowing down due to partial surfaced sections. Few meters before Halebeedu was dug up.

Halebeedu - Hagare - Hassan : Good when I traveled last year. Also, as per posts on Bangalore - Hassan thread no issues. In any case avoid taking Halebeedu - Hassan - SH 21. Roads are very bad.

Another suggestion : Instead of taking Kadur - Banavara - Halebeedu - Hagare - Hassan if it there is no much difference in KM's I guess Kadur - Chickmagaluru - Hassan route may be faster. Had traveled in this road in July and was good throughout.

There is a post on avoiding part of Chickmagaluru town by taking left while coming from Kadur in Bangalore - Chickmagaluru thread.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 13:36   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Regards,
Sarin
You can take the below route to reach Shimoga. After that, take Bhadravati - Birur - Kadur - Arasikere - Halebidu - Hassan.

The usual Arasikere-Hassan via Dudda remains in very bad shape even today and this is the latest report(Sushrutha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Shimoga - Honnalli - Malebennur - Devarabelekere - Davangere

- The bad sector in Shimoga - Davangere is between Malebennur and Harihar (no information about the current status. Anyone?). You can avoid the bad sector by taking the above road. The roads are good to go as per my friend's update

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Banavara - Halebeedu: Have driven on partial section of this route (Belavadi - Halebeedu) in July. Road widening work ongoing. No bad sections, however you will have to keep slowing down due to partial surfaced sections. Few meters before Halebeedu was dug up.
Thanks to NH conversion, this is same even today and would recommend against this.

Quote:
Another suggestion : Instead of taking Kadur - Banavara - Halebeedu - Hagare - Hassan if it there is no much difference in KM's I guess Kadur - Chickmagaluru - Hassan route may be faster. Had traveled in this road in July and was good throughout.
This road remains clean even today but usually less preferred as it is not a straigtforward option. But given the road conditions, Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur- Kadur makes sense.

Quote:
There is a post on avoiding part of Chickmagaluru town by taking left while coming from Kadur in Bangalore - Chickmagaluru thread.
Pretty easy to remember. You pass Taj Gateway first on your left while driving from Kadur, followed by Forest Checkpost. After this you will pass an intersection where you have an arch for Engineering college on the right (Adichunchanagiri Institute of Technology). Exactly at this point you turn left, drive for 4 kms following the road and you reach another junction where you turn left for Belur (Straight leads to Chikmagalur from this Junction).

Bypassing would certainly be mere 5 minutes affair if this is taken care.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 14:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
This is an offbeat route I guess. Haven't seen anyone opting for combination this way, I am not sure if this would be the fastest route from Pune or if you are just trying this for checking out a new route. In either case
Thanks buddy. I am also thinking whether to take this route or go via Hiriyur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You can take the below route to reach Shimoga. After that, take Bhadravati - Birur - Kadur - Arasikere - Halebidu - Hassan.
Very useful information. Looking at the road condition, per your message and previous ones, I am rethinking this route. I have driven Hiriyur route earlier and that may be a better option for a fast drive.

Last edited by ampere : 15th December 2015 at 19:44. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 15th December 2015, 20:15   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Planning to use the route Davanagare to Hassan on my trip to Thalassery from Pune. Found the following route as shortest from Gmap. Can someone help with the road condition in the following route.
Quote:
Quote:
Guys,
Look at his original problem: Pune-Thalassery. Which means one can optimize outside Hassan as well. As per me the best option today is:

- Take the Harihar-Shimoga via Honnali.
- Then go on 206 to Arsikere
- Take the road to CR Patna and there on to Holenarasipur.
- And there on to Hunsur-Iritty-Thalassery.

Harihar-Honnali-Shimoga-Arsikere-CRPatna-Holenarasipur-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Iritty-Thalassery

Or if Hassan is must:

Harihar-Honnali-Shimoga-Tarikere-CKM bypass-Belur-Hassan-Holenarasipur-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Iritty-Thalassery

Last edited by ampere : 15th December 2015 at 20:16.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 20:28   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Guys,
Look at his original problem: Pune-Thalassery. Which means one can optimize outside Hassan as well. As per me the best option today is:

- Take the Harihar-Shimoga via Honnali.
- Then go on 206 to Arsikere
- Take the road to CR Patna and there on to Holenarasipur.
- And there on to Hunsur-Iritty-Thalassery.

Harihar-Honnali-Shimoga-Arsikere-CRPatna-Holenarasipur-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Iritty-Thalassery
We got the point long before ampere .

The point here is suggesting the best route based on road conditons. Latest reports talk negative between Shimoga and Honalli. Hence I quoted KC's post on the alnernate.

Regarding reaching Hunsur, we as well have multiple options:

Hiriyur Nelligere Nagamangala Pandavapura Srirangapattana Hunsur (Srirangapattana also can be bypassed via KRS Road but the road condition isn't good).

Other one I drove last weekend was Mysore via Shravanabelagola KR Pet KRS and roads were simply excellent barring just the stretches near KRS. So even Shimoga CR Patna Holenarasipura KR Pet Elwala Hunsur works.

However, for overall faster progress, Hiriyur Nelligere(or Hiriyur Tiptur Holenarasipur) works best and then reach Hunsur.

I have, on many occasions seen queries where travellers want to deviate only to pass through country roads.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 21:01   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We got the point long before ampere .
Of course yes! Why I mentioned that was because many were still referring to Hassan.

Quote:
The point here is suggesting the best route based on road conditons. Latest reports talk negative between Shimoga and Honalli. Hence I quoted KC's post on the alternate.
Agreed.

Quote:
Hiriyur Nelligere Nagamangala Pandavapura Srirangapattana Hunsur (Srirangapattana also can be bypassed via KRS Road but the road condition isn't good).
This I think would be a big detour. Hassan/CR Patna - Holenarasipur - Hunsur should be the better one as it also helps avoid Mysore. The trick is get the right optimum between good roads but not a big detour.

Quote:
Other one I drove last weekend was Mysore via Shravanabelagola KR Pet KRS and roads were simply excellent barring just the stretches near KRS. So even Shimoga CR Patna Holenarasipura KR Pet Elwala Hunsur works.
Yes that is a good option. That road has been in good condition for quite some time. But then Mysore-Hassan road via Holenarasipur/KR nagar has been good. And so is CR Patna Holenarasipur. So that way we cut the KR Pete detour. But still its good that there nice roads around.

Quote:
However, for overall faster progress, Hiriyur Nelligere(or Hiriyur Tiptur Holenarasipur) works best and then reach Hunsur.
Agreed. But its easily 80+ km of deviation I think.

Last edited by ampere : 15th December 2015 at 21:45.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 21:44   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes that is a good option. That road has been in good condition for quite some time. But then Mysore-Hassan road via Holenarasipur/KR nagar has been good. And so is CR Patna Holenarasipur. So that way we cut the KR Pete detour. But still its good that there nice road around.
The KR Pet route since ages has been preferred route even from Hassan side when the usual Hassan-HN Pura - KR Nagar road was in shambles till it was done in 2002. Glad that it remains in perfect shape even today.

I don't think I overlooked Hassan option. No doubt it was looking like a detour as we have seen umpteen queries on the Coorg-Pune thread and Hassan seldom came into picture. I only suspected that there would be a possible overnight halt at either Davanagere or Shimoga and one would want to take a scenic route to reach the destination.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 10:56   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Of course yes! Why I mentioned that was because many were still referring to Hassan.

Agreed.

This I think would be a big detour. Hassan/CR Patna - Holenarasipur - Hunsur should be the better one as it also helps avoid Mysore. The trick is get the right optimum between good roads but not a big detour.

Yes that is a good option. That road has been in good condition for quite some time. But then Mysore-Hassan road via Holenarasipur/KR nagar has been good. And so is CR Patna Holenarasipur. So that way we cut the KR Pete detour. But still its good that there nice roads around.

Agreed. But its easily 80+ km of deviation I think.
Thanks Guys. I agree to the point of optimization between the travel time and also the distance. In this case, I also felt, after reading the earlier replies, exiting NH4 at Davanagare is not a good option due the bad road conditions. Hiriyur route is familiar to me as I used it two times earlier to drive to Calicut via Mysore. This time, I know I have to take a different route from Huliyar to go to Hunsur via Tiptur. I agree around 50 to 60 km de tour. If it can make me save close to one hour, would be great. Will update my experience once done. I am starting from Pune around 2pm and going to stay at Belgaum (Rakshit International). Will start around 5 am to reach Thalassery around 5pm, I guess
Old 26th December 2015, 08:52   #26
BHPian

Team,
I took the Hiriyur -- Huliyar -- Mathighatta -- Tiptur --Nuggehalli -- Holenarsipur -- Krishnarajanagara - Hunsur route. Total distance to Thalassery from Pune via this route is 1070 km. The road is 95% very good condition and rest is in good condition. I strongly recommend this route.
sarinkumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks