Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 13:07   #1
BHPian

Mumbai to Jog / Hoggenakal : 7 days possible??

Hi Guys, Am from Mumbai and am planning to do a trip to Jog / Hoggenakal falls during the monsoons? As a prelimnary check, just wanted to find out if its feasible and what the general route be like? Any suggestions are welcome!Nikhil.
Old 30th March 2010, 13:53   #2
Team-BHP Support

Nikhil,

Before trying to answer the question, I would like to ask do you really think its worth 7 days of drive to visit only the falls. You should club them with other places like the Karwar Devbag or some other places etc.

With due respects to the waterfalls, at least I think 7 days of drive may not worth the effort. Jog will definitely be amazing in the monsoons, but its just seeing the falls and coming back. You would rather spend that time in the nearby flora/fauna and take Jog as as an added bonus.

Also I am not sure if you want to drive past Bangalore for Hogenakkal alone.

Comments welcome.

Best time for the falls Oct
Old 30th March 2010, 13:59   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nikhil,

Before trying to answer the question, I would like to ask do you really think its worth 7 days of drive to visit only the falls. You should club them with other places like the Karwar Devbag or some other places etc.

With due respects to the waterfalls, at least I think 7 days of drive may not worth the effort. Jog will definitely be amazing in the monsoons, but its just seeing the falls and coming back. You would rather spend that time in the nearby flora/fauna and take Jog as as an added bonus.

Also I am not sure if you want to drive past Bangalore for Hogenakkal alone.

Comments welcome.

Best time for the falls Oct
Well....thats what i want to find out...how far would Hoggenakal be from Jog falls as I am definately going to try and make it to Jog in peak monsoon.Have already done Devbagh in Karwar...travelogue belowhttp://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/77493-beach-vacation-maharastra-goa-karnataka.htmlmy idea of the route was Mumbai-Hubli-Jog-Bangalore-Hoggenakal....sounds far fetched?
Old 30th March 2010, 14:04   #4
Team-BHP Support

I wont say its far fetched. But I am not sure if its worth the effort. People do Hogenakkal as a day picnic from Bangalore. Plus you don't have any stay options. You may have do it by staying in Bangalore. But then do you have anything else to do in Bangalore? You will need to answer those kind of questions.

PS: I definitely went through your travellogue! It was good. It slipped my mind that you had done Devbagh. That was just an example though. I am sure there will be many other places on the coast, that you may not have done.
Old 30th March 2010, 18:14   #5
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Very much possible. Don't worry about what else to cover. The route from Hubli to Hassan via Yellapura, Sirsi, siddhapura, Jog, Sagara, Koppa itself transforms to paradise with every turn offering a great view during peak of monsoons.
Further from Mysore to Hogenakal would also be a great ride. And the falls would be in all glory. Go ahead pal! If it's the drive and the falls you want, you won't be let down.
Old 30th March 2010, 18:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Why Hoganekkal ? Unless you have plans to visit TN it aint worth the drive, trust me. You are better off doing the coastal belt of karnataka and drive on till Kannur in Kerala.

Check my travelogues here (My sojourn:Theerthahalli-Kuppali-Agumbe-Kundapur-Karkala-Mlr-Bekal-Muzhappilangad) and here . Have covered most places around the coastal belt.
Old 30th March 2010, 20:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Very much possible. Don't worry about what else to cover. The route from Hubli to Hassan via Yellapura, Sirsi, siddhapura, Jog, Sagara, Koppa itself transforms to paradise with every turn offering a great view during peak of monsoons.
Further from Mysore to Hogenakal would also be a great ride. And the falls would be in all glory. Go ahead pal! If it's the drive and the falls you want, you won't be let down.

Yes....its the drive which is the prime motivator. I have covered all of Maharashtra and Goa in the monsoons and have decided to do Karnataka this time. Could you spell out the distances involved
i.e
Hubli - Jog
Jog - Mysore
Mysore - Hoggenakal

and what would be the shortest route back to Mumbai?

Thanks a ton!
Old 30th March 2010, 22:50   #8
MX6
Senior - BHPian

That's a good motivator you got there. Vashi to Jog falls takes 12 hours non stop. You can easily make it to Hubli in 10 - 11 hours. as it's excellent part of GQ. If you leave Mumbai by 4, you can stop at Lonavala for early tea, Kolhapur for breakfast.
You'd be in Hubli by 4 - 5 pm maximum based on stops you take.
That's a decent place to stay.
NH63 is in excellent condition now from hubli till yellapura. The road from yellapura to sirsi, siddapura and sagara is also in top class. But due to monsoons, and the fact they are amidst hillocks with loads of turns for 100 kms of the 150 km stretch between hubli and jog falls, there's ample potential to stop anywhere you want and take photos all around. Further with such weather conditions (if it pours buckets), you tend to keep your speed under 50 kmph for both safety factor as well as enjoying the drive.
so I'd suggest you break the night at hubli and leave early morning at 5 to target reaching jog by 10 - 11 am.
You can stay at Sagara as you find decent hotels there. There's also govt. guest houses at Jog. No comments on that as I haven't stayed there.

Jog falls to Hogenakal would take around 10 - 12 hours of drive.
The suggested route would be through shimoga, bhadravati, tarikere, kadur, arsikere, thavarakere, etc. If you want the quicker route, you can move from Arsikere to tumkur and take NH4 to nelamangala, take the nice road, get off at NH7 and drive down to dharmapuri from where you can branch off.
The shortest route back from hogenakal back to mumbai is this way.
Hogenakal, dharmapuri, NH7 to nice road, then to nelamangala and then NH4 all the way back to Mumbai.
It would take you 16 hours if you drive non stop, like HVK.
Old 7th April 2010, 11:40   #9
BHPian

Well...have decided to leave out Hoggenakal for later. Could anyone tell me about other places around Jog that could be visited in the monsoons?Initial thought is Mumbai - Amboli - Jog - Calangute - somewhere in Konkan - Mumbai!!
Old 7th April 2010, 11:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
Well...have decided to leave out Hoggenakal for later. Could anyone tell me about other places around Jog that could be visited in the monsoons?Initial thought is Mumbai - Amboli - Jog - Calangute - somewhere in Konkan - Mumbai!!
You canvisit Honnemaradu, it is between Sagar & Jog,
There is an NGO which runs this jungle/island stay, water rafting courses, jungle survival trainings etc.

If you do a google search of Honnemaradu, you can get the details.
bookings need to be done in Bangalore. Weekends are full.

Near Sagar there are couple of ancient temples Keladi & Ikkeri, you can visit them, there are pretty good.

Gerusoppa waterfall is another attraction, this is between Honnavar & Jog

You can visit Sirsi (Marikamaba temple), Yana between Sirsi and Kumta.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks