Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2010, 13:56   #31
drustogi

Are there any AC Houseboats on the way where we can spend a night

Old 28th April 2010, 13:27   #32
BHPian

Sorry got no idea about that. As far as i know, the true backwaters are down south of Calicut. Although there are a few en-route to Kannur.
Old 30th May 2012, 09:42   #33
BHPian

Pune-Goa-Ooty : Route Query

Hi Guys,

After going through a lot of travel logs and trip querries i still find myself bemused with the exact route to take for my eventful journey.

The plan is to start from Pune on 3rd Jun 2012 and reach ooty by 5th Jun 2012 while passing by Goa and enjoying the coast this one time before the monsoons.

I have a travelled a number of times from Pune to Goa but haven't ever covered the track from Panjim to Ooty and this is where i need your expert advise.

The route i have jotted down is as below:

Panjim-Margaon-Karwar-Ankola-kumta-honavar-bhatkal-udupi-mangalore-bantwal-puttur-madikeri-hunsur-bilikere-mysuru-gundlupet-masinagudi-ooty

Can you guys help me with the road conditions and if it would be ideal to travel on this route?

I would mostly be travelling from 5am to 5 PM.. with my wife and a 4 yr old child..

Thanks a ton in advance..
Old 30th May 2012, 10:41   #34
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pune-Goa-Ooty.. which route to take and road conditions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidrahul View Post
Panjim-Margaon-Karwar-Ankola-kumta-honavar-bhatkal-udupi-mangalore-bantwal-puttur-madikeri-hunsur-bilikere-mysuru-gundlupet-masinagudi-ooty
Instead:

Panjim-Karwar-Ankola-Yellapur-Sirsi-Sagar-Jog-Tarikere-Chikkamagulur-Belur-Hassan-Mysore-Gundlupet-Ooty.

Panaji to Ooty

You have more places to see and good roads.
Old 30th May 2012, 10:47   #35
BHPian

Thanks Ampere.
Can you tell me how are the road conditions and a few places to stay between Panjim and Mysuru.
Old 30th May 2012, 12:27   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Ampere.
Can you tell me how are the road conditions and a few places to stay between Panjim and Mysuru.
Road conditions are very good. Only section which may be a bit patchy is
: Tarikere-Chikkamagulur-Belur

If you want to enjoy more greenery one more option is :
Panjim-Karwar-Ankola-Honnavar-Sagar-Jog-Tarikere-Chikkamagulur-Belur-Hassan-Mysore-Gundlupet-Ooty.

(You continue on NH17 and turn on to NH206 at Honnavar).

Places to stay:
- Some homestays in Sirsi
- Banana County at Yellapur
Old 30th May 2012, 13:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ampere.

Ooty-Pune
You could also consider the option of driving back via the NH4.Take the Mysore-Blore 4 laned highway till Kengeri,then onto the NICE Road and connect to the NH4 all the way till Pune.This would ensure that you are on 4 laned roads throughout onwards and you wouldnt have to retrace the same route while coming back thereby eliminating boredom.Ofcourse slightly more distance and money on toll.The extra distance would be compensated by excellent roads and lesser drive times and excellent wayside facilities.

Panjim-Ooty

Onward drive take the route suggested by Ampere,roads are excellent throughout.Panjim-Ankola-NH63-Yellapur-Sirsi-Siddapur-Mavingundi-Sagar-Shimoga-Tarikere-Chikmagalur-Belur-Hassan-Mysore-Ooty.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...ra=ls&t=m&z=11

Onward

Panjim-Yellapur:2.5hrs

Yellapur-Chikmagalur:4hrs

Chikmagalur-Mysore:3hrs

Return

Ooty-Kengeri: 4hrs

Kengeri-Nelamangala:1hr

Nelamangala-Pune:8hrs
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 14:06   #38
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai / Pune to Goa & Ooty : Route Query

Places to stay are:

Shimoga:

Royal Orchid Central, Shimoga | Luxury Business Hotel Shimoga | Shimoga Hotels | Hotels in Karnataka India

Hotel Jewel Rock

Chikmagalur

Plenty of options as per your budget.Best hotels in town as below and then there are a zillion different homestays

Chikmagalur Travel | The Gateway Hotel KM Road Chikmagalur

www.theserai.in (owned by Cafe Coffee Day)

Hassan

Southern Star Hotel, Hotel Southern Star, Southern Star Hotel

ASHHOK HASSAN

Ooty

Red Hill Nature Resort

www.littlearth.in (Sherlock)

Hubli

www.clarksinn.in

www.thehanshotel.com

www.naveenhotels.com

Welcome to Hotel Metropolis Hubli
Old 30th May 2012, 15:28   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Road conditions are very good. Only section which may be a bit patchy is
: Tarikere-Chikkamagulur-Belur

If you want to enjoy more greenery one more option is :
Panjim-Karwar-Ankola-Honnavar-Sagar-Jog-Tarikere-Chikkamagulur-Belur-Hassan-Mysore-Gundlupet-Ooty.
Chikmagalur Belur route is horrible. During the night, I think we missed the route and we went into some village roads which were far worse.

Karwar - Honnavar - Sagar - Jog route is not smooth tarmac. It has some patches on the road due to repairing. But one can do 60 to 70 kmph easily on this. But it is very scenic road.

Last edited by himavanth_m : 30th May 2012 at 15:34. Reason: Wrong post was quoted earlier
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 16:46   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
Chikmagalur Belur route is horrible. During the night, I think we missed the route and we went into some village roads which were far worse.
Is it that bad? I had been there quite some time back (I think 2010!), It was rough, but I could drive decently. I had one bad diversion one the way.
I thought they would improve. Looks like they have gone bad.

Maybe then the other option is :

Arsikere-Chnnarayapatna-Holenarasipur-Mysore

Route Link

Last edited by ampere : 30th May 2012 at 16:47.
Old 30th May 2012, 17:05   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is it that bad? I had been there quite some time back (I think 2010!), It was rough, but I could drive decently. I had one bad diversion one the way.
I thought they would improve. Looks like they have gone bad.

Maybe then the other option is :

Arsikere-Chnnarayapatna-Holenarasipur-Mysore
Chikmagalur - Belur is just around 35 kms and I drove here during monsoons of 2011 in the night. During the night after crossing Chikmagalur, we were terribly confused. Some of the locals were mentioning to go via Mudiegere and the others via Belur. We finally decided Belur was the shorter route, but I think we headed in a wrong direction and there was lot of lose gravel on the road. I remember this because there was a cut in my car tyre mid journey. Our trip was Sringeri - Chikmagalur - ( Via Belur and Hassan) - Sravanabelagola - Bangalore.

I have no idea about the other route you mentioned. Never traveled that road
Old 30th May 2012, 18:38   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
I have no idea about the other route you mentioned. Never traveled that road
Hassan-Mysore SH via Holenarasipur is very good. And so is the NH206 all the way (discounting the ghat sections
around Honnavar).

The only unknown is Arsikere-Chanarayapatna. I had traveled from Channarayapatna to Holenarasipur quite some time back
and the road was then. Dont know the status as of today.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 23:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

CKM Belur is very good and Belur Hassan is smooth and wide tarmac.
Old 4th June 2012, 10:54   #44
BHPian

Thanks to everyone, I managed to reach Mysore yesterday itself.

I took the faster route of NH-4 itself and managed to reach Mysore late in the evening.

Started from Pune at 5 AM yesterday and kept going on straight on NH-4 till the intersection for NICE road. Reached NICE road intersection at 17:00 hrs and headed straight onto the Bangalore-Mysore road. Stopped at a CCD on the Bangalore-Mysore road and then headed on to Mysore.
I found that there is a 2 lane road from Hubli to a certain stretch.
Will provide a detailed log in a short time.
Old 4th October 2013, 14:53   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Ooty-Pune You could also consider the option of driving back via the NH4.Take the Mysore-Blore 4 laned highway till Kengeri,then onto the NICE Road and connect to the NH4 all the way till Pune.This would ensure that you are on 4 laned roads throughout onwards and you wouldnt have to retrace the same route while coming back thereby eliminating boredom.Ofcourse slightly more distance and money on toll.The extra distance would be compensated by excellent roads and lesser drive times and excellent wayside facilities. Panjim-Ooty Onward drive take the route suggested by Ampere,roads are excellent throughout.Panjim-Ankola-NH63-Yellapur-Sirsi-Siddapur-Mavingundi-Sagar-Shimoga-Tarikere-Chikmagalur-Belur-Hassan-Mysore-Ooty. https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...ra=ls&t=m&z=11 Onward Panjim-Yellapur:2.5hrs Yellapur-Chikmagalur:4hrs Chikmagalur-Mysore:3hrs Return Ooty-Kengeri: 4hrs Kengeri-Nelamangala:1hr Nelamangala-Pune:8hrs
Request for your advice on doing a road trip with family from Pune to ooty. How many travel hours each side? Is it possible to do in a day or, night halt at mysore? How are the current road conditions? Any recommendations on places to stay?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks