Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2010, 01:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mypad / Mypadu / Mapadu, Tranquebar, Pondicherry accomodation & facilities query

This summer, we are planning to become beach bums for a while. We plan to do it properly i.e. drive to Tranquebar, Pondicherry (Puducherry does not strike a chord) and either Suryalanka (again) or Mypadu in Nellore Dist. of A.P.

Quite a few people have mentioned Mypad (or Mypadu) beach close to Nellore in A.P. but information on this location is scarce to come by.

Is there any accomodation available there? What about food?

What is the travel time from Nellore? We might have to stay in Nellore town and drive down to enjoy the beach.

Info on hotels in Nellore would be welcome too. We require a nice clean place - Air-con would be essential. If they serve good food we will absolutely love it. Upto Rs.2K per night would be ok. Since we will be taking our car - secure parking would be god sent.

Tranquebar and Pondicherry have my head reeling from too much choice so I would really appreciate pointers and tips on good places to stay and eat in Tranquebar & Pondicherry. Ideally I would like a budget of approx Rs.3K per room. A property on the beach would be the best. Should be clean and well kept. Air conditioning would be a must. Good food would be a bonus. Safe parking would swing the choice.

Since the party includes kid(s), places that call themselves 'Eco - resort/camp/hotel', cut out TVs and blame it on the 'environment' are out of question.

Cheers,
Old 2nd April 2010, 09:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

Raveendra,

Wont it be too hot at this time of the year? Even I wanted to goto Pondicherry.
But postponed it to winter or monsoon months.
Old 2nd April 2010, 09:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Tranquebar and Pondicherry have my head reeling from too much choice so I would really appreciate pointers and tips on good places to stay and eat in Tranquebar & Pondicherry. Ideally I would like a budget of approx Rs.3K per room. A property on the beach would be the best. Should be clean and well kept. Air conditioning would be a must. Good food would be a bonus. Safe parking would swing the choice.
Promenade is a sea facing restaurant & will be good to suit even your budget. Regarding eat out, you can find lots of places around Pondicherry; I'm not sure what kind of food you're looking at. Last time we'd been to an, so called, authentic French food restaurant & the food was mere OK. If you're interested in French food, I hear people saying Rendezvous is good & probably a sea facing. Last time we couldn't get in there for dinner due to the crowd.
Old 2nd April 2010, 09:43   #4
Team-BHP Support

I would typically prefer good eat-outs for the day, but for dinner, I would prefer it in the room as one would like to rest and cool off the day's hard work .

Hence a hotel with a good restaurant (veg) is definitely needed.
Old 2nd April 2010, 09:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Raveendra,

Wont it be too hot at this time of the year? Even I wanted to goto Pondicherry.
But postponed it to winter or monsoon months.
Pondy weather = hot when not raining and warm. We are just back from a trip to AP (Arunachal Pradesh) in December to experience the cold and see the snow and ice, this increased our yearning for the sea. No point in trying to take a few degrees off the heat by going later in the year. I love being close to the sea in summers as the sea breeze sets in around noon and cools things off. One advantage with summer is that the water is warmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Promenade is a sea facing restaurant & will be good to suit even your budget. Regarding eat out, you can find lots of places around Pondicherry; I'm not sure what kind of food you're looking at. Last time we'd been to an, so called, authentic French food restaurant & the food was mere OK. If you're interested in French food, I hear people saying Rendezvous is good & probably a sea facing. Last time we couldn't get in there for dinner due to the crowd.
Thanks aargee. I was looking at "Promenade" mainly because of their pool. Ashok Pondicherry, Nalla and St. James seem to be the options with access to the beach.

I better finalise my plans and start booking!

Cheers,
Old 2nd April 2010, 10:33   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks aargee. I was looking at "Promenade" mainly because of their pool. Ashok Pondicherry, Nalla and St. James seem to be the options with access to the beach.

Cheers,
I've been at the Promenade. Very nice hotel but have multiplied the room rates over the past 4 years. Nevethless the Buffet breafast is a MUST.

You seem to have been impressed the pool but I would like to let you know that the pool is no bigger than a typical car garage. Please check with them on that.

A bit away from the beach on SP Road is Atithi,

Hotel Pondicherry|Pondicherry Hotel|Hotel Atithi|Resort Pondicherry

They have a swimming pool at the roof. Room rates are lesser than Promenade. Food is also good.
Old 2nd April 2010, 10:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

You could also try Kailash Beach Resort, stayed there last September, very good ambience, very good swimming pool, access to an almost private beach and good A/C Rooms (no TV though, for that, you need to visit the lounge) which cost around 3K. The cons were that the food quality was just about Ok, food & liquor was very pricey and service was average. Check out their website here - Hotel Kailash Beach Resort - Home Page
Old 2nd April 2010, 11:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pondy weather = hot when not raining and warm. We are just back from a trip to AP (Arunachal Pradesh) in December to experience the cold and see the snow and ice, this increased our yearning for the sea. No point in trying to take a few degrees off the heat by going later in the year. I love being close to the sea in summers as the sea breeze sets in around noon and cools things off. One advantage with summer is that the water is warmer.

Cheers,
Just for info sakes,the Pondy hotels are very much unlike the Goa ones,in the sense that even though they are beach facing etc,they are still not beach hotels in the true sense,no real access to the beach,not sure how to put it

The GRT property is also very good and new ,worth taking a look as well,Ashok-you are better off not considering it,run down,poor service etc the usual problems.
Old 3rd April 2010, 03:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

You could also try The Dune
Old 3rd April 2010, 07:51   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You could also try The Dune
I heard pretty good reviews of Dune. But I felt it was a bit stiff on the walet. Any first had experiences?
Old 3rd April 2010, 11:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

A cousin just got back and he reccos the place wholeheartedly and it apparently is the closest you can get to a beach property in Pondy,its away from the crowded places and noise as well and the rooms have been aesthetically done up as well,again the tariff on the site is not what you get,go on a weekday and good bargains are always on offer.
Old 3rd April 2010, 14:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Have also stayed at The Dune last year, place is very good, well maintained, eco friendly and very aesthetic, but it is on the costly side, remember having paid around 5K for a non A/C cottage
Old 8th May 2011, 07:55   #13
BHPian

Re: Mypad / Mypadu / Mapadu, Tranquebar, Pondicherry accomodation & facilities query

Looks like OT finally settled down for Pondy.. no info for Mypadu.. :(.
Planning to head to Mypadu this week with my family. Any info on the same would be appreciated.
Old 21st June 2016, 20:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mypad / Mypadu / Mapadu, Tranquebar, Pondicherry accomodation & facilities query

Bumping up an old thread.. did anyone visit Mypadu? How is the location? and recommendations on places to stay for a family?
Old 22nd June 2016, 14:03   #15
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Bumping up an old thread.. did anyone visit Mypadu? How is the location? and recommendations on places to stay for a family?
I don't think this will help you much but just posting to give you some leads.
Mypadu seems to be an interesting place. A search on Team BHP brought up few posts asking about the place but not much information regarding the place.

A search on the internet says it is about 380Km from Bangalore and 25Km from Nellore.
Also, there is an APTDC Haritha hotel/resort in Mypadu.

Last edited by NPV : 22nd June 2016 at 14:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks