Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 12:59   #1
BHPian

Kochi-Kodaikanal-Thekkady: Suggestions Please

Fellow BHPians

I plan to take a holiday in mid May. So far I have two places in mind. Kodaikanal and Thekkady. How are the weather conditions? I have been to Munnar last month, so don't want to re-visit. About route:

I plan to to go to Kodai first. Maps My India shows two possible routes:

Blue route via Palakkad- Pollachi-Palani-Kodai.
Red Route via Muvathupuzha-Theni-Periyakulam-Batalagundu-Kodai.

Any suggestions regarding destinations, road conditions and places to stay? Looking forward to replies from my spirited mates.
Attached Images

Old 8th April 2010, 13:30   #2
Team-BHP Support

I guess the Theni route is the better option.
Any reasons as to why you want to take the other route?
Old 8th April 2010, 13:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

You may want to route via MVPA (Muvattupuzha), (roads are breeze from EKM to Kothamangalam) however you need to be checking the routes from Munnar towards Kodai. Ampere is right that if you take Thrissur route you may land up driving almost double the distance just by looking at the map. Even I'm puzzled if you've something in mind for the other route?

Last edited by aargee : 8th April 2010 at 13:59.
Old 8th April 2010, 14:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
Fellow BHPians

I plan to take a holiday in mid May. So far I have two places in mind. Kodaikanal and Thekkady. How are the weather conditions?
Thekkady is going to be piping hot in May,and plus the boat ride as far as I know is still suspended after the accident etc,might be a good idea to recheck before you firm up your plans.

Quote:
I plan to to go to Kodai first.
This would be an easier and more scenic route.

Muvathupuzha-Theni-Periyakulam-Batalagundu-Kodai.

Make your booking early @ Kodai so that you get the better places to stay.

At Thekkady,Elephant Court is a good place to stay (albeit expensive)if you do intend on staying in Thekkady.
Old 8th April 2010, 14:49   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
You may want to route via MVPA (Muvattupuzha), (roads are breeze from EKM to Kothamangalam) however you need to be checking the routes from Munnar towards Kodai. Ampere is right that if you take Thrissur route you may land up driving almost double the distance just by looking at the map. Even I'm puzzled if you've something in mind for the other route?
Going through Munnar one will need to drive through Ghats. This can be avoided if you go via Kottayam.
Old 8th April 2010, 15:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I guess the Theni route is the better option.
Any reasons as to why you want to take the other route?
Somebody who has done this route recently was of the view that Batalagunda-Kodai stretch is not in good shape where as Palani-Kodai is good road. I know the distance is almost double. So if anyone knows the current conditions, please do reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Going through Munnar one will need to drive through Ghats. This can be avoided if you go via Kottayam.
Last month I had gone to Munnar via Muvattupuzha. In Munnar I had enquired about the Munnar-Kodai route, but it seems the road is not in good condition and you need special permissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Thekkady is going to be piping hot in May,and plus the boat ride as far as I know is still suspended after the accident etc,might be a good idea to recheck before you firm up your plans.

This would be an easier and more scenic route.

Muvathupuzha-Theni-Periyakulam-Batalagundu-Kodai.
Will have to check on boat ride. If that is not available, going to Thekkady will be wasted. Any other spot if Thekkady is out?
Old 8th April 2010, 16:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will have to check on boat ride. If that is not available, going to Thekkady will be wasted. Any other spot if Thekkady is out?
Boat ride is still not opened. If you plan Thekkady with boating in mind, then please start planing different place.

This is the info from my friend who visited to Thekkady before a week or so.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:26   #8
Team-BHP Support

Thekkaddy will also be hot. But you can plan as it would be on your way and you should be able to get a good resort with chilled out rooms.
Old 9th April 2010, 09:35   #9
BHPian

I think the major attraction is Thekkady is the early morning boat ride where you get to see some wildlife. If anyone else has any different information, please share.

Looks like I will have to stick to a 3day trip to kodai or a combine Munnar-Kodai trip instead of thekkady. Idea is to get away from chip-chipa heat of Kochi.
Old 9th April 2010, 10:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

You can actually visit both places in one trip. See the map below. My cousin did this route last year from Ernakulam and then he came back through Munnar.
Attached Thumbnails
Kochi-Kodaikanal-Thekkady: Suggestions Please-trip-2.jpg  

Old 9th April 2010, 10:38   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In Munnar I had enquired about the Munnar-Kodai route, but it seems the road is not in good condition and you need special permissions.
+1. We can't take our vehicles through the Munnar-Kodai road (If we can call than one)

Read here,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-photos-2.html

Vattavada is the last point until which proper roads are available in the Munnar – Kodaikanal stretch
It is possible to reach Kodaikanal from here provided
  • Forest Dept permission is obtained
  • Forest Dept guide is engaged
  • 4X4 Jeep services are engaged
If this road is laid properly then it's claimed that it would be the highest motarable road south of Himalayas
Forest Dept is not giving clearance for the road project sighting the damages it could do to the forest life. I agree.
Old 9th April 2010, 11:45   #12
Team-BHP Support

Its better to do Kodai first and go via Theni as Vasoo mentioned. Else you end up driving through the Ghats four times.
Old 9th April 2010, 22:16   #13
BHPian

In my opinion, the best option or you would be to take the following:

1. Kochi - Muvattupuzha - Kothamangalam - Adimali - Munnar
2. Munnar - Marayoor - Udumalpettai - Palani - Kodai
3. Kodai - Theni - Kambam - KambamMettu - Kattappana - Idukki - Thodupuzha - Muvattupuzha - Kochi

good scenic route throughout.

Can spent time at both Munnar and Kodai

During the return through Idukki - Visit the Arch Dam, Cheruthoni Dam and Kulamavu dam - They are majestic ones.
Old 10th April 2010, 08:50   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
Can spent time at both Munnar and Kodai
Nutsbolt mentioned that he had been to Munnar last month and hence did not want to go there, but to Kodai directly. Else your plan is the perfect one !
Old 10th April 2010, 16:19   #15
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs guys.

@Kiku. Went through your travelogue. Really informative.
@ampere, thanks for valuable suggestions.
@vasoo, route you have mentioned is ideal, but in mid May, I believe Thekkady is going to be sweltering hot.
@bijuks, as of now, I have plans only for kodai and thekkady.

I had earlier planned for 2N/3D halts at both places. Now I think I will be better off to have a 3N/4D trip to Kodai alone. Main idea is to laze around and get awy from the heat in Kochi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks