Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2010, 17:58   #16
BHPian

SSENGO.... thanks for the tip. I am going to avoid this route then. I am going to stick to the other route then. Mannargudi - tanjore. Hopefully someone can confirm the road status before I leave for the trip next month.
Old 12th April 2010, 17:59   #17
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Venki. Good to see so much of planning being done. Boy, so many of the prayers about marriage and related things!
There's one pending from my in-laws side too. Something at Sankarankoil. I've put things on hold till my daughter is old enough. My philosophy is simple. I have prayers, I don't involve other people. It's what I can and will do.
Mid May is not the best time to visit the places. Hope you plan in a way to ensure your kid doesn't get the worst of summer.
Old 12th April 2010, 18:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Could you please tell me if i start from kumbakonam, go towards Thanajvur road, where should I turn off to thirugarugavur, is it before Papanasam or after Papanasam.
Yes, you need to cross Papanasam. Its about 6 Km from Papanasam.

Quote:
Can I cover it from Kumbakonam in one hour drive? Also do you have any idea how far Thirumananchery is from Mayavaram? One of my relatives told me that it is near to Kuthalam (which is on Kumbakonam - Mayavaram road).
1 hour drive from Kumbakonam should be fine

Quote:
1: Mannargudi - Kumbakonam - thirugarugavur - kumbakonam - aaduthurai - kuthalam - Thirumanchery - Mayavarm - chennai.
^^^ route sounds OK to me; My updates are more than a year ago, so SSENGO's update on road conditions should be fine as he did a trip recently.

Last edited by aargee : 12th April 2010 at 18:10.
Old 12th April 2010, 18:14   #19
BHPian

Hi MX6,

Your travelogue is the inspiration. I know May is going to be hot and we are going to one of the hotter regions of tamilnadu. but we cant help it. my daughter is going to complete a year in July and we need to complete her tonsure ( mottai) before that in my native place and my inlaws were bugging me to complete the other prayers coupled along with this trip. That is the reason I have started my planning way ahead. I am taking maximum precautions as per your thread and emails. Lets see, hopefully everything should go smoothly. I will bug you till then for finalising the preparations.
Old 12th April 2010, 18:21   #20
MX6
Senior - BHPian

lol. My daughter's mottai is pending. And I might probably go down to sankaran koil when she's 3 - 4 years old. We are yet to think of where to have the mottai done. I will try to find some temple in Leh for the mottai. Let me search the leh travelogues.
Old 12th April 2010, 18:28   #21
BHPian

AARGEE,

One more question. Its regarding the ritual to be done in the thirukarugavur temple. Do you have any idea about the timings when we can offer the golden thottil offering? can it be done throughout the day when the temple is open or only during specific hours. That might actually determine my departure from Mannargudi.
Old 12th April 2010, 18:31   #22
BHPian

MX6,

I wish, I too have a choice, but no. It is a fixed procedure in my house. First mottai at my native and that too before the baby becomes one year. Followed by the second one in Tirupathi. No time frame for the second one though. Good luck for your search for Leh temples.
Old 12th April 2010, 18:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
My philosophy is simple. I have prayers, I don't involve other people. It's what I can and will do.
^^^ Count me in buddy; will commit ONLY what I can do & never disturb others in my prayer.

Quote:
One more question. Its regarding the ritual to be done in the thirukarugavur temple. Do you have any idea about the timings when we can offer the golden thottil offering? can it be done throughout the day when the temple is open or only during specific hours. That might actually determine my departure from Mannargudi.
I don't know what ritual you're talking about. If I were you I would give them a call & confirm about the ritual timing & get to know about the entire process. This will avoid any disappointment surprises at last moment. Trust me, the temple trust are responsive & will help you over the phone.

Couldn't stop posting - Mottai = Tonsure

Last edited by aargee : 12th April 2010 at 18:49.
Old 12th April 2010, 18:44   #24
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AARGEE,

thirukarugavur is govt temple and is open till 12:30pm and again from 4:30 - 8:30pm..

Also take Mullai flowers to offer at Mullaivananadhar sanctum.

Contact details: THE EXECUTIVE OFFICER Arulmigu Mullai Vananathar Thirukkoil Thirukkarugavur (p.o) Papanasam Tk. Thanjavur Dt. 614 302. Tamil Nadu Phone : ( 04374) 273423

Thanga Thottil has been placed. Devotees who pray for child may place their child after birth in the Thanga Thottil. Couples may pray to the goddess that they will place their child, if they give birth to a child by Ambikai's grace, After the birth of the child. More over devotees may also place the lord Somaskanthar in Thange Thottil in Ambaal Sannidhi praying for a child. For this thanga thottil prarthanai devotees are requested to pay Rs 500/- in the office of the temple.

Try calling the number (hope it's not changed) to get further details.

Last edited by MX6 : 12th April 2010 at 18:49.
Old 12th April 2010, 18:55   #25
BHPian

Wow.. Thanks MX6. Will confirm the timings before finalising the details. Awesome explanation on the thanga thottil.
Old 12th April 2010, 19:16   #26
Team-BHP Support

I know its open at least till 8Pm. Because I was there at 7PM ! Thats why I mentioned, go in the morning or when there is light.
Old 12th April 2010, 20:19   #27
Team-BHP Support

I would also vote for the route via Tanjore through Papanasm from Mannargudi.
From Papanasam to Thirukarugavur is a very narrow road. Good to do it during the day.

MODS please merge this post with the previous one. Sorry for the multiple posts.

Last edited by ampere : 12th April 2010 at 20:21.
Old 13th April 2010, 10:31   #28
BHPian

hi Ampere,

I have decided to take the Thanjavur route. I called up the temple and they said thanga thottil can be offered when the temple is open anytime. So that makes life easier.
I will update you guys once i finish the trip about the routes and conditions.

Thanks SSENGO about the route information for Thirumananjeri.
Old 13th April 2010, 10:56   #29
BHPian

Quote:
hi Ampere,

I have decided to take the Thanjavur route. I called up the temple and they said thanga thottil can be offered when the temple is open anytime. So that makes life easier.
I will update you guys once i finish the trip about the routes and conditions.

Thanks SSENGO about the route information for Thirumananjeri.
Have a happy trip with family and don't forget to post a travelogue. Drive Safe. BTW, what is the vehicle that you own?
Old 13th April 2010, 10:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssengo View Post
BTW, what is the vehicle that you own?
Maruti Alto - If I'm not wrong.

Most Viewed